• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

GB Thread for Salas SSLV1.1 BiB shunt reg

Hey Tea-Bag - when do you expect boards to be available again? I'm torn between using BIB or the Sigma 22/11 combo for powering my next BIII build. Sigma11 is overkill for the 5V digital supply, and thermally it's gonna throw off alot of heat.

What if any advantages does BIB have over the Sigmas? Thanks in advance for any thoughts anyone can share on this subject.

Hmm ... I would think though that the BiBs would throw off a lot more heat. From what I remember, the Sigmas are series regs, not shunts like the BiBs.

You'll get more in the way of regulation I think with the BiB, as well as a smaller footprint tho.

Hey Tea-Bag - when do you expect boards to be available again? I'm torn between using BIB or the Sigma 22/11 combo for powering my next BIII build. Sigma11 is overkill for the 5V digital supply, and thermally it's gonna throw off alot of heat.

What if any advantages does BIB have over the Sigmas? Thanks in advance for any thoughts anyone can share on this subject.

Could you please explain it to me in more easier words sir?:) I have very little experience in electronics and dont know if its worth and I would have to buy BIG heatsink for proper work? What temperature should I expect from such PS without box? Im searching best solution and so far tried only 12V, 7,4 Ah accumulator through simple regulator but its annoying checking it day after day:)

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Could you please explain it to me in more easier words sir?:) I have very little experience in electronics and dont know if its worth and I would have to buy BIG heatsink for proper work? What temperature should I expect from such PS without box? Im searching best solution and so far tried only 12V, 7,4 Ah accumulator through simple regulator but its annoying checking it day after day:)

Get a 9V 1A transformer, get one 5C/W side sink common to the reg's 2 power semis & TO-220 silicone pads. Set it at 700mA, and expect ~25C above ambient temperature on the sink. More in the builds thread if you will decide to start with it, read the pdf guide in post #1 here first.
5C/W sink example.

Thank you Salas.
AndrewT its no problem, I have friends who could help me but already away or offline:) I want to try that PS badly! If not with XMOS I could use it with other equipment:)
One more question - I assume Ill have to wait some time till next GB runs with sending kits. Can I buy for tests such regulator from Chinese seller and use it or its only similiar but much worse?:

SR50 Variable Shunt Voltage Regulator 5-50V (8A) DIY Kit for Amplifier | eBay

Thank you:)

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
It looks decent, don't know about the first sink and your setting though, looks small. Not that cheap for just testing and then building another. Get one of those PCB thingies with LM2596 switchers for testing. Very cheap, tiny, no heat to speak about.