• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

GB for Virtins MI Pro for RTX6001 autoranging/autoscaling & for soundcard end users

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Just removing that question mark from my name

1- anatech
2- kevinkr
3- lemon
4- PH104
5- douggoldberg
6- bk856er
7- mlloyd1
8- tjencks
9- agdr
10- waltzingbear
11- Dennis Hui
12- jwilhelm
13- 1audio (Demian)
14- soongsc
15- jhenderson01075
16- jazid
17- lbud4
18- diyaudnut
19- SilentGrace
20 - acg

Halfway there!

Halfway to the 42 already! :)

1- anatech
2- kevinkr
3- lemon
4- PH104
5- douggoldberg
6- bk856er
7- mlloyd1
8- tjencks
9- agdr
10- waltzingbear
11- Dennis Hui
12- jwilhelm
13- 1audio (Demian)
14- soongsc
15- jhenderson01075
16- jazid
17- lbud4
18- diyaudnut
19- SilentGrace
20 - acg
21- Ghianni

Last edited:
Joined 2004
Paid Member
What I don't like about dongles is the high value in a small object. The small object is too easy to loos track of, especially in this day of laptops. Liberty Audio Praxis uses a key as well but its part of the audio contrroller module that gives the program control of signal routing and input levels. Its a bigger box and harder to lose track of. Going forward new laptops are ditching USB A and only will have USB-C so we will also need an adapter.

As I remember Tek uses dongles to enable software on the premium scopes. That's a dongle worth $20K plus. Needless to say those feel really risky.

Still its a reasonable solution for small volume software producers trying to make a living with software.

What I don't like about dongles is the high value in a small object. The small object is too easy to loos track of, especially in this day of laptops. Liberty Audio Praxis uses a key as well but its part of the audio contrroller module that gives the program control of signal routing and input levels. Its a bigger box and harder to lose track of. Going forward new laptops are ditching USB A and only will have USB-C so we will also need an adapter.

As I remember Tek uses dongles to enable software on the premium scopes. That's a dongle worth $20K plus. Needless to say those feel really risky.

Still its a reasonable solution for small volume software producers trying to make a living with software.

Dear Demian,

Thank you for your worthwhile comments on this topic. Wow, $20K in one small USB dongle. I’m very careful with all of my various audio hardware dongles. I’ve had to resort to the procurement of a Dell D610 laptop that has true parallel and serial ports for some of my older audio dongles that are non-USB (one can’t use a USB to parallel or USB to RS232 serial port emulator to allow such older hardware dongles to work…alas one needs such ports to be “real”, ergo the rational for my use of that older laptop when I need to use those particular programs).

While USB ports will sometime ultimately succumb to the fate of the older parallel and serial ports, I think ubiquitous nature of just how many USB devices there are in the world will allow the USB ports to exist for the short-term foreseeable future, i.e., 5 to 10 years (who really knows?).

When the day ultimately comes where USB ports stop existing, they will be replaced by some other technology (newer type of port or more likely some wireless protocol standard). This sort of thing happened to me with my older LinearX LEAP and FilterShop parallel port hardware dongles and I had to pay LinearX to upgrade my older parallel port dongles to USB variants. I suspect that when the USB ports cease to exist there will be a market for a replacement to do the same sort of thing (who knows when that date will ultimately happen?).

I do want to say “thank you,” for your very salient and realistic comment:

“…Still its a reasonable solution for small volume software producers trying to make a living with software…”

I feel the exact same way as you do and I appreciate your comment and understanding in this matter.

As a side note, I want to also give a shout out to you for all the wonderful contributions you’ve made throughout the years to the diyaudio community! You’ve truly been very helpful to me, and I know to others as well with respect to your willingness to share your vast knowledge of all things audio. So you have my deepest and sincere appreciation in this respect as well. Thank you again!

V/R,

MI Pro

Joined 2004
Paid Member
Thanks for the kind words.

The $20K Dongle is reasonably safe on the back of a 50 Lb scope that doesn't move very often. I was really uncomfortable with the $2.5K Bluetooth sniffer in the form factor of a USB stick. Again too much in too little a space. I have trouble keeping track of USB sticks.

Look closer at USB-C. It will replace the familiar USB interfaces really quickly. Up to 10 Gbps, 100W of power and Thunderbolt in a tiny connector. All the current flagship phones except Apple and most new laptops including Apple support it at some level.

I have a Latitude E6410 to handle the older stuff. It triple boots Win 10, XP and Ubuntu. On the Dell docking station the parallel port works, even with the old parallel port Picoscopes. Add an SSD and its a reasonable solution for a lot of stuff. Just heavy.

@ MI pro,
2.The prices offered include VAT or not? If not what's the XX% on the price.
Hello Everyone,

I was looking through the MI Pro GB forum and it appears I failed to address Ghianni’s posting # 68’s question on VAT. Below is my answer to this question.

There is no Value Added Tax (VAT) to be paid by EU citizens on the MI Pro GB since Singapore is not part of the European Union (EU) and EU VAT is charged "within" the EU block countries, e.g., you live in Germany and you buy a widget from a firm in Italy you’ll be paying VAT on that transaction.

Note I’m not going into the atypical situation where you own a company in Germany and your German firm has a VAT exception form and so on. My aforementioned comments are for normal consumers buying things within the EU itself from another EU member country.

Having said the above, you could be subject to import customs related fees which would be based on the declared value of the MI Pro USB dongle which is written on the custom's declaration form on the shipping container. This is not VAT, but a foreign import tax that is a “situation dependent” type of thing continuing upon the country where the MI USB dongle is shipped to and that countries law governing such matters, e.g., EU, Canada, Australia, etc.

V/R,

MI Pro

Thanks for the kind words.

The $20K Dongle is reasonably safe on the back of a 50 Lb scope that doesn't move very often. I was really uncomfortable with the $2.5K Bluetooth sniffer in the form factor of a USB stick. Again too much in too little a space. I have trouble keeping track of USB sticks.

Look closer at USB-C. It will replace the familiar USB interfaces really quickly. Up to 10 Gbps, 100W of power and Thunderbolt in a tiny connector. All the current flagship phones except Apple and most new laptops including Apple support it at some level.

I have a Latitude E6410 to handle the older stuff. It triple boots Win 10, XP and Ubuntu. On the Dell docking station the parallel port works, even with the old parallel port Picoscopes. Add an SSD and its a reasonable solution for a lot of stuff. Just heavy.

Hello again Demian,

Thanks for your comments and for pointing out the USB-C standard. The only device I own that uses a USB-C cable is my iPad Pro 12.9” 2nd Gen to enable fast charging of it, but your comment made me do a Google search for the term: USB-C backward compatibility and I of course found many URL links to read on that topic.

Most are of webpages I read up on this topic stated that there exist adapters to convert USB-C to allow for older USB devices to be interoperable with it. While the USB-C form factor is completely different than that of the older USB form factor, USB-C appears to be 100% backward compatible with the older legacy USB standards going all the way back to USB 1.0 based on what I just read.

My experience with USB to parallel port adapters as well as USB to serial port adapters and the use of such adapters with my older legacy dongles of this type showed that the adapters do not work with the dongles, (ergo the need to have that older Dell D610 laptop with the true parallel & serial ports).

The above experience makes me wonder out loud to myself if an adapter for USB-C to allow older USB form factors to be plugged into it will also result in the same sort of affair. Humm, something to test out I guess :) I just need to find a computer with a USB-C port, an adapter cable and load some of my USB dongle protected audio programs onto the computer and see if any of the various adapters would allow the USB dongles to authorize the programs to work.

I did read a somewhat dated document on the USB-C standard that cast some doubt as to it (see towards the bottom of the webpage under the title “Concerns and the future of USB-C”) at this URL: USB-C: Everything you need to know | Trusted Reviews

Something else to test out it would appear. For now, all of my PCs have USB 3 but no USB-C (yet). You have me thinking however :)

I too have some of my PCs setup to boot into multiple O/Ss, e.g., DOS v6.2, Win XP, Win 7, etc. I use TeraByte "BootIt Bare Metal" (Boot Manager, Partition Manager, and Drive Imaging - BootIt Bare Metal) for this. On some of my PCs that have enough CPU power and enough RAM I use Oracle’s Virtual Machine (VM) VirtualBox freeware to setup a multi-boot VM session instead of the multi-boot via BootIt Bare Metal. For example, my DRA Labs MLSSA runs in DOS, so for my “lunchbox” PC if I want to use it, I boot into DOS mode, etc.

Thanks again for sharing your thoughts on this matter and my best wishes to you for a pleasant evening!

V/R,

MI Pro

Joined 2009
Paid Member
Possible yes (in terms of space), but I wouldn't recommend it. The USB interface of the RTX6001 itself should be connected to a PC without going through a hub, whether internal to the PC or external. At high sample rates this may lead to transmission errors. This is described in the User Manual section 3.1.
It may also lead to noise problems, the warranty would be void and the safety approval not valid anymore...
In short: not a good idea. :yikes:

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.