• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

GB For RMI-FC100 Parts

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2007
Paid Member
PCB and Elko GB

Hi,

I'm going to order the mentioned Elkos these days. I'm sending an email to all the interested guys probably on weekend.

I seems that I don't have to start a second PCB order. Don't mind :clown: The one who is interested in I can send one of my spares.

So what I want to say, is, please type in your name in the wiki if you are interested in this or that.

Has anyone of you an idea about a transformator just for the frontend psu? Even I have been looking quote a while, I just found nothing :(
I'd prefer a 40 A trafo with 4x 36 V. Don't want to use a toroid - would prefer an R-core trafo. Maybe somebody has got an idea? Would be highly appreciated :)

Cheers Ernst

While waiting for word back from the R-core manufacturer (which has been frustrating due to communication with a middle man), I have checked on getting toroids made in North America. I have received a quote on a priliminary spec as follows:

50/60Hz, electrostatic shield,
OD: 5.3", HT: 2.4"

Primaries:
2 x 0-110-120v

Secondaries (bifilar wound):
Sec # 1 30V @ 4.35amps, 25V @ 5.2 amps.
Sec # 2 30V @ 4.35amps, 25V @ 5.2 amps.
Sec # 4 39V @ 0.21 amps, 34V @ 0.235 amps.
Sec # 4 39V @ 0.21 amps, 34V @ 0.235 amps.

Regulation on the 30V secondaries is 4.4%
Regulation on the 39V secondaries is 4.62%

Price $92 each, $85 for 10 or more.

If there are buyers only in the US or Canada, a single 120v primary could be used.

Price to ship to USA locations:
Postage on 1 pcs = US $ 21.00
Postage on 2 pcs = US $ 31.50
Postage on 4 pcs = US $ 50.00

They also can pot and metal enclose the transformers for extra cost.

Just trying to gauge the interest to see if there is interest in 10 or more before further negotiations.

Joined 2007
Paid Member
toroid for front end

Hi,

when I was taking to Mihai, he did not recommend a toroid for front end due to capacitive coupling of mains mush. Not that important for the power buffer stage but very influencing to front end. So therefor he recommends a transformator, that's got separation of primary and secondary windings.

Cheers Ernst

pooge said:

R-core manufacture is a little different than toroidal production.
R-core transformer producers do not use a range of secondary wire diameters, but roll on multiple windings in parallel instead.
A small VA size dual secondary R-core has a single winding per secondary, the bigger ones have 4 windings for each secondary.
Getting a 300VA and larger R-core with 4 secondaries made may not be technically feasable, or very expensive.

Joined 2007
Paid Member
R-core

Jacco,

Thanks for your explanation. Didn't know.

Mihai has got two R-core transformers in his amp - this can be seen on a later photo in his own thread. A small one for the front end, probably 50VA and a big one for the power buffer in his amp. Small one with 4x36V / 50 VA is a bit tricky to get. No one in Europe offers. Big one you can get easily from france. Is not too expansive. I would do, if I haven't two perfect fitting toroids in spare. So I'm going to use toroids for the rear end and an R-core for the front end psu. I think this is the second best technical, but best economical solution. Still pretty good for a second best.... :clown:

Cheers Ernst

jacco vermeulen said:

R-core manufacture is a little different than toroidal production.
R-core transformer producers do not use a range of secondary wire diameters, but roll on multiple windings in parallel instead.
A small VA size dual secondary R-core has a single winding per secondary, the bigger ones have 4 windings for each secondary.
Getting a 300VA and larger R-core with 4 secondaries made may not be technically feasable, or very expensive.

Who said to put everyting on a single R-Core?
Toroids are ok for power stages, but r-core is ideal for frontend.
I have only r-core in my amp, one for frontend (30VA, 4x38V) and two 300VA 2x24V

Mihai,

nobody did, but maybe of interest to Pooge as he's negotiating with an R-core manufacturer.
Stereo amp assembling is throwing away one of the major advantages a DIY-er has, imo.

roender said:
Unwind the secondaries and wind with a smaller diameter wire 4 x 35...38V

With a DIY winding wheel rig, it is real easy to rewind an R-core.
Downside of R-cores is that the secondaries are wound on top of eachother.(the multiple parallel secondary versions)

Joined 2007
Paid Member
modified R-core

Hi Mihai,

ok, self customized - not bad.

I of course was talking about ready made ones. Found only some far east (custom made) with help of a very nice guy that took part in the pcb GB. Haven't bought so far. Modify the french one is pretty good idea :)

How much work? Did you separate core therefor? Think yuo have to. Would you mind telling wire diameter and number of windings?

Cheers Ernst

jacco vermeulen said:

Downside of R-cores is that the secondaries are wound on top of eachother.(the multiple parallel secondary versions)

Two secondaries on one arm of the core, bobin is splited in two sections, and the other two on the other arm.
No section is capacitive coupled with each other, well no highly coupled ;). An electromagnetic shield separate primary and secondary windings

Each secondary is on a separate shell.
The larger ones have several windings wound on to top of eachother on the same shell.
A piccy of the 500VA that i had to rewind for Putzeys ExtremA =>

Attachments

• rrrrr2.jpg
    rrrrr2.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 474
Re: modified R-core

ernesternest said:

Would you mind telling wire diameter and number of windings?

Cheers Ernst

I don't remember, but i think it was around 0.2mm diameter.
The number of windings per volt is pretty easy to find. Just count the number of windings when you dismantle the secondaries and divide this number at 12 (the idle voltage)

The stock French R-cores only provide primary voltage for European mains voltages. No help for us North American builders. Not interested in tearing apart a transformer to rewind it.

I spec'd electrostatic shield and bifilar windings on toroids to help with high frequency bleeding. I believe that adequate filtering can also help. That's where bifilar windings come in. Not sure why R-core would be that much better for a regulated stage, anyway. Also, I believe that how the grounding is handled may make a bigger difference. I see no reason to have ground currents go back to the transformer, but with two secondaries, one could connect them together for a "center tap". I'll use a bridge for each secondary, and not connect them together until the board.

I would still like to obtain an R-core, but shipping them from the other side of the earth vs. fairly locally may become a huge factor. Also, the toroid company does not require a set-up fee, and I have no problem communicating. Getting separate transformers would be even more expensive. Also, the R-core manufacturer recommends buying a single one for $200 to test before ordering the rest. That extra cost would have to be spread to others. I'm fairly confident that the toroids would not have to go with this process, since I'm not speaking through a middle man.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.