• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

GB for DC coupled B1 buffer with shunt PSUs

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Hi, just got back from Italy and I am happy to see that the forum has changed and that the GB is working again. Too bad that Ferds bailed out.

Although I read the last pages it is not entirely clear how I can order PCB's. I would like to volunteer for the prototypes if that is still needed.

Joined 2006
Paid Member
Hi, just got back from Italy and I am happy to see that the forum has changed and that the GB is working again. Too bad that Ferds bailed out.

Although I read the last pages it is not entirely clear how I can order PCB's. I would like to volunteer for the prototypes if that is still needed.

Jean Paul, I am looking for some more people to prototype the 'basic' or hypnotize version. Although I would consider sending out another of the deluxe if needed. Just Email me off list with you shipping address.

The prototypes should arrive next week (week of 13th). Or at least be on their way.

Assuming prototype stage starts working out within two weeks after that, I intend to do a larger order in October. (assuming no changes)

This will be my first GB admin job, so I hope not everyone hates me if things don't go super-smoothly.

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
You refer to the regulator's Mosfet gate stoppers. OK, got it. 470R 1/4W is fine. Its just the pads can take 1/2W because many quality resistors can be big. No problem. I thought we were talking the audio section Jfet gate stoppers, never mind.:D

mmm. Well I think the lightpseed is looking like the way to go here. While I've only spent a night with this so far, it seems to be that I've gotten the best sound I've ever had in my room with B1/lightspeed combo.

Hard to believe that the shunt reg could actually sound better!

Fran
That's really good news! It confirms my suspicions and raise my hopes. I know that building this stuff is an addiction; (Hello, my name is Bill and I am a DIY addict) but I want this to be my pre-amp for a good while!

IIRC, that supply for the relays is pretty basic. If I were you I might tap into the higher voltage supply and use the little shunt circuit that Salas posted back up (the one with the 6LEDs). Thats what I'm going to use I think.

Fran

EDIT: heres the post in the lightspeed thread:

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1918670&postcount=2463

and the sch:

attachment.php

Last edited:
diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
In practice, if the Leds you gonna use in the minishunt don't reach Vf when you have max consumption (100R LSPD at min vol or max vol) you can go with 22R instead of 27R for the 317 CCS. So there will be more current left for them to go strong enough. You will see. I remind you that if you can find easier 2.2V Vf LEDs for instance, you can lift the voltage with one diode between the LEDs and ground. With 2.5Vf Leds you don't need to add yet another component with its own little noise though. This minishunt is the simplest thing, and parallels Leds, cutting their noise further. Let us know if you can detect any differences VS battery PSU. Will be an interesting experiment. Here is an example schematic for 56mA CCS and 2.2Vf matched LEDs (possible to find a mean average like that). That will keep the shunt LEDs between 6-12mA for max-min 2 channel LSPD consumption scenarios. LM317 needs no sink.

Attachments

• MiniShuntLSPD.gif
    MiniShuntLSPD.gif
    4 KB · Views: 603
Speaking of using a lightspeed as my attenuator; it needs 5v to operate. Thinkl I can piggy back on the 5v supply used for the relays?
do not use an ancilliary supply for an audio supply, particularly when the ancillary produces transient current demand (both glitches and pulses).
These artefacts leak into any circuit sharing the supply and will ruin the audio quality.
Some manufacturers go as far as fitting separate mains transformers for each of Audio/Digital/ancilliaries.

AndrewT thanks for the input. I will be using a separate supply just to keep things tidy and it is the right way to do it.
I was thinking about sharing the supply because none of the active bits are in the signal path and the passive parts are optically isolated. I do not think the noise would be an issue.