• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

GB 2SK3497/2SJ618 for EUVL F5X or other projects

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I finally get in touch with rep in California (so expect sale tax). He asked the size of the pad. I am leaning towards to the following:

TO-220:
A: 18,0
B: 12,0
C: 4,5
D: 3,0

TO-247:
A: 32,0
B: 23,0
C: 7,0

Same sizes as the GB ran by Marc.
Attached are the available sizes for reference.
In the case of different opinion, we will decide on one size per type.

Thanks!!

Attachments

• Keratherm TO Abmessungen 2010.pdf
    29.7 KB · Views: 66
Hi Fred,
thanks for the .pdf-file showing the available sizes.

Just FYI: The letters "o.L." in the description section of second block containing TO-220 pads certainly mean "ohne Loch" which translates as "without hole" as shown in the accompanying figure.

Thanks for the explanation, I thought it was "Oh Lord" :D
Here is what Phil just replied me:
Hi Fred,

Let me get back to you tomorrow. We have to compare pricing from the factory as well as a local die cutter.

Best regards,

Phil
An earlier reply:
Hi Fred,

There are a number of different TO packages so I attached drawings from Kerafol. 86/83 is our top performing film and has a fiberglass liner for added material strength. In order to cut pads with fiberglass, dies are needed. Our factory has the dies for all of the pads in the above list. Typically their minimum order runs in the thousand of pads. Please let us know which pads and quantities you and your club are interested in.

Best regards,

Phil
We are making some progress on this front :nod:

I finally get in touch with rep in California (so expect sale tax). He asked the size of the pad. I am leaning towards to the following:

TO-220:
A: 18,0
B: 12,0
C: 4,5

TO-247:
A: 32,0
B: 23,0
C: 7,0

Same sizes as the GB ran by Marc.
Attached are the available sizes for reference.
In the case of different opinion, we will decide on one size per type.

Thanks!!

Hi,
I vote for the largest size. One can always trim if needed.

Any particular size in mind? The above TO-247 is the largest of this kind. The TO-220 is a little marginal, we can go TO-220-1 (19,1 12,7 4,8 3,7) profile. We probably don't want too over sized which only cost more but no apparent benefit.

I am all eared, feel free to post your preference.

I think you are going to want TO-220-4:

A: 18mm
B: 13mm
C: 4.5mm
D: 3.0mm

Or TO-220-2 which is:

A: 19mm
B: 14mm
C: 5mm
D: 3.1mm

The TO-220-1 has a 3.7mm hole, which I think is too big. I think you really want something closer to 3 or 3.1mm for the hole diameter.

So my vote would be for either your original proposed TO-220 size, or the TO-220-2 if people want a little more size.

Just to get the update by e-mail. I added some insulators also in the spreadsheet. Just correct the numbers in excess if what I indicated does not make sense. I have limited access to the network and did not go through all the posts.

Curious, do you have any comparison between kerafol and alox ?

Sorry for being silent for a few days. I finally got a reply from Phil:
Hi Fred,

Option A
- The minimum orders from the factory for die cut TO packages is 1,000 pads so that means 4000 pads for the 4 different packages.

Option B

- If we go to a die cutter there will be a tooling charge of $85.00 per tool x 1 = $160.00. The die cutter has 2 dies already so there would be no charge for those. In addition there would be a set up charge of $ 100 for each pad. Then add the 86/83 material at a minimum of 1 mater at $539.93.

Option C

- I recommend that you buy 1 meter of the following and hand cut as required. Use a straight edge and an Exacto knife and a hole punch. There is no shelf life on this material.

- 86/83 at 0.250 mm thick (500 mm x 1 meter) at $539.93. (8.0 W/mK)

- 86/82 at 0.250 mm thick (500 mm x 1 meter) at $301.38. We always have this in stock and buy in volume. (6.5 W/mK)

My recommendation is go with option C with the 86/82 material.

Please let me know your thoughts.

Phil Benos

If you are curious why Phil said 4 packages, it is due to I asked him for the quote of 3 different packages of TO-220. Obvious, we will only buy one.

Here is my thought:
1. From C, a 86/83 500mm x 1000mm sheet will be $539.93.
2. With my rough calculation, this will yield 651 TO-247, avg 0.83.
Added California sales tax, it will be US$0.9 which is only slightly
lower than Zhou's price, but it is not factory die cut, and I haven't
added shipping!!!
3. For TO-220-4, one sheet will yield 2090 pads which avg $0.28 after
sales tax.

At this point, I think the TO-247 GB is pretty much a no go as Zhou clearly has a better deal. I wonder there is interest in the TO-220 or the blank sheet. If so, please let me know. Otherwise, I will purchase the MOSFETS and TO-247 from Zhou when he comes back in August.

Thanks!!

I thought about asking the factory cut pads, but my gut feeling is that they won't be lower cost than an optimal flat sheet cut because in my earlier conversation with Phil, he told me that the pricing would be A > B > C.

Since my calculation was based on a flat sheet being cut to yield the most pads, I just don't see the price will be better than Zhou's for the TO-247 package. Since Zhou doesn't have TO-220 pads, we can pursuit this type if there is still enough interest.

Two years ago - in luvdunhill's groupbuy, the prices were $0.25 for TO-220 and $0.76 for TO-247 pads (factory cut, minimum order quantity: 1000).

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/grou...herm-red-isolators-220-247-a.html#post1827190

I would like to know whether the price has changed since. I also wonder why Phil hasn't given any prices for option A by himself - maybe he would earn more for his company if they would do the cutting on their own (option B).

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.