Gate-stopper values ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Consider placing a zero ~30MHz (Zobel filter) from gate to drain ............... and you will be able to reduce the gate stopper. This will increase the Fc of the LP filter created by the gate stopper and the input capacitance while still being able to critically dampen the oscillator created by the mosfet internal components..........
Could you post a schematic?

Well, it is one of those things that you have to abandon the simulator for. Simulator amps don't make much sound.:D The parasitics of the PCB/wiring is not so easy to model in a simulator.
I'm not sure if I understand you correctly, but I was agreeing with you ;) I use the same technique in my currently playing MF80 amp. You're right that the sim doesn't show the oscillations, the parasitic L's are not modeled in the MOSFET models I was using. But on the bench, with my 200MHz scope I could make visible a 85MHz oscillation. In practice, a 47pF cap from drain to gate per FET was enough to have them shut up. N gate stoppers are 18 Ohm, P gate stoppers 15 Ohm. The stage is bloody fast.

AndrewT, you have to look at it like this and in a sudden you'll get it being very easy:

Think of the power FET as an opamp with a non-inverting input (Gate) and an inverting output (Drain). Witih opamp circuits you often put a 10pF from the output to the antiphase input. This is similar in where you connect the transistor inverting output back to its input with a HF bypass. With this, forget that drains are connected to powerlines; it doesn't change the conceptual view of the drain being an inverting output to the gate.

Base stopper for BJT
and gate stopper for JFET and MOS.
They all require different resistor values.

I wish we had a list for all types of Transistors.
For example typically for JFET 2SK170 and other.

I see for DN2540 is often used 100 Ohm.
In a circuit I have used 1 kOhm for small signal JFETs.

Base stopper for BJT
and gate stopper for JFET and MOS.
They all require different resistor values.

I wish we had a list for all types of Transistors.
For example typically for JFET 2SK170 and other.

I think there shouldn't be such standard values. It can be for balancing the P-channel with N-channel, which i have never found 'attractive'. More important purpose is as part of the (stability) compensation, which means that it can be of any value depends on the overall design.

Latfets have limited transconductance so I will try not to have more than 100 Ohm there (often directly soldered to gate pin).

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.