Garrard 301 template

Garrard 301 CAD Drawing & Hi-Fi Cabinet

Hi, does anyone have a copy of the Garrard 301 dwg or dxf that they could email me?

I'm an architect and am designing myself a hi-fi cabinet with a Garrard plinth on the top of it.

I've attached a copy of my preliminary design in case anyone's interested.

Any tips would be much appreciated. Has anyone any knowledge of the ply plinths and the best ply to use to get good acoustics and also a nicely faced finish?

I'm planning to make the interior of the cabinet adjustable with removable shelved that slot into grooves in the side of the cabinet and are screwed into place.

Any tips on isolation/ support would also be much appreciated - I'm thinking of using Vibrapods under the plinth and spikes to the base of the main cabinet. http://www.vibrapod.com/

Please email me on my members email or alternatively at: applebysteve@yahoo.co.uk

Attachments

• garrard cabinet.pdf
    96.8 KB · Views: 372
Ex-Moderator
Joined 2003
Welcome to the forum, sappleby.

I made the plinth (and arm) for my 301. The main thing you need is mass. At least 20kg. Cut the top sheet to the Garrard template, then make the succeeding cut-outs only as large as necessary (that first cut-out has to be large because of all those levers, but the others can be much smaller). This will make the plinth much stronger and heavier. I would suggest using lead flashing to increase the weight and damping (as I did on my plinth), but that's probably illegal now. Read through this thread to see other tips.

sappleby, you've got mail.

Can't tell very much from your drawing. Like the cabinet, though.

If I would redo my plinth today I would make it out of concrete, with a machined piece of aluminium as bottom "plate." Love Tando Ando's stuff. ;)

I spent at total of €4 on my rubber feet.

Hi, You should be able to get a template from Vinyl Engine as they do a lot of this stuff. Also try Lenco Heaven as quite a few of their members also have a 301.

Although by looking at the photo it is pretty simple to make. Sketch out a template on card board & make sure it fits all the right places under the plinth.

If going totally wood, birch play is the best apparently. I recently did an SP15 plinth & I used kitchen sink bench offcut from a local bench maker & some Rimu (local NZ wood) I was given by a friend. Turned out very well & sounds great.
Cheers
0815211142b_HDR.jpg