Gainclone vs Sony TA1055

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Re: a smoothed input connection

pmkap said:
While your waiting resolve your gainclone issues, try this simple experiment -

Take your Sony amp and feed it AC routed through that filtered, industrial IEC connection. Let us know how it sounds with the same 'improvement' you've used to evaluate you gainclone.

I've no doubt that the filtered inlet is within 'spec' for your gainclone use, but I've always found such improvements to be subjectively quite deleterious in poweramps......

sorta like comparing apples to manacled oranges :eek:

The only possible device that could ever make a difference to an amp would be a power conditioner. I somehow dont think you can buy them in socket size. If your amp is decently designed, it will already have RFI filtering on the line side. RFI filtering wont change the sound of an amp. It wil just reduce interference.

Gainclone can kick some a$$.

Hi Jim Read.as you have noticed,there are many,many(maybe all) of people that have build gainclones agreed that these amps when they are build the right way, they can kick some a$$.I do not say they are the best but, they can compete with those commercial amps costing $1000 and more.I had some good "commercial " amps like: Marantz 2238B,Adcom 510,Portal panache, Bryston b60,Denon 5800,Blue circle integrated cs etc."gainclone"can give a good fight to these "commercial " amps no doubt.
it is too bad that your amp did not give you what you were expecting or more.but Maybe as some people mentioned you did not fallow some recommendation like voltage, parts values etc.:smash:

Jim,

I am using the LM3875 now and I have used valve amps(in the store room now because of global warming) before. This chipamp sounds very good otherwise I would not be using them.

I like to suggest you borrow a similar amp from a friend and compare it against the one you build. Then you can finally made up a concluding remark.

lanchile said:
you are right ttan98,I use LM3875 too and I am happy with it's sound, I have compare "side by side" with other commercial amps and if I did not know this was a "DIY AMP" I would thought it was a well made commercial amp. I believe He made a mistake (or a few).:smash:

Hi,

You own so many different amps you must know the different types of sound each is capable of generating. Some very good to fair I assume.

To build a LM3875, with good quality components from Audiosector, it cost me less than US$200, incl. a huge power transformers with 3 separate windings, for 6 channels. Cheap.

Cheers, have fun

well ttan98, I can not agree more with you.I have owned a lot amps and as you said they all sounded different,some of them really good (Bryston,Adcom,Blue Circle CS)and some not so good(portal panache,Denon, Marantz).This is the same thing with speakers. I got my kits from Audiosector too (Peter Daniel).But I changed and add some "extra" parts,I used premium parts too like: Blackgates caps,heavy power supply 20000uf per channel,RF/EMI filters,inrush current limiters,DP switch, etc,etc.
:smash:

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.