Gainclone sound quality versus commercial

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Peter Daniel said:
How do you know if you don't have a 'GC'? ;)

I had.
Right now I don't have what can be called a 'GC', it's a chipamp, yes, but very far from the original Gaincard concept that originated the term 'GC'.

You don't have to call GC to every amp that uses a chip.
That's not correct.
What I say is that it's easy to make better than that Rotel, GC or not.

Upupa Epops said:
Guys, I know very well, which are qualities of this circuits. I know very well advantages, but also disadvantages of this solution. Many amps of so called " commercial sphere " are normal *****, but also many aren't. But isn't honest, to argue only with first ones, when is talking about quality of GC. ;)

Could you elaborate on these qualities?

Upopa - do you think that all designers in DIY sphere are idiots ? :D

How about that crossdresser Nelson Pass, he wears both DIYers clothes as well as commerical attire. I am sure this must be an afront to you.

It's much harder to design and build speakers than amps. Commercial companies have and advantage, a very big one. Woodworkers, that can build the complex cabinet for the speaker flawlessly. They also have designers, and on top of that, it's their work. If it was my job i would have the time to voice crossovers from top to bottom, adjust the smallest things. They also try ten different cabinets, drivers and XO's before selling any one.
Amps does not need voicing or an elaborate case. For that reason, building an amp is like a grown up puzzle.

BTW Nelson Pass' Designs are superior to GC's, and his commercial amps are superior to the DIY designs.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.