Gainclone humming in new setup

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi all,

As I have already pointed out earlier in another thread,
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=41357&perpage=10&highlight=&pagenumber=1
on Brian GT's PCBs the power and signal grounds should be separated. IMHO, that is the only way to implement the ground scheme correctly in a stereo or multichannel setup.
In this thread I have posted the grounding scheme that I have been using, with my own PCBs (separeted PG and SG). The results are quite satisfactory.

Regards,
Milan

Attachments

• 38751.jpg
    38751.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 378
carlosfm said:

I'm sorry to say, but this is hum for sure, with one PSU for two channels...
Less or more hum, depends on the distances and the wire used for the ground.
The main problem here is the separate (power) ground feeds that join on each board.

This didn't hum nearly as badly as it does with the receiver as the pre-amp, compared to the yammy CD player with variable output. Granted, using the old setup, it did hum, but, at acceptable levels.

To give you an idea, its humming probably at 65db, 50-60 hz (presumably). Almost as bad as if I touched + and - on a RCA cable plugged into an amplifier.

Ok, very happy now. I disconnected the CHG from both channels (although, they are still connected together, just not touching the chassis anymore).

Total.

Silence.

We're talking, nothing. Nada.

Even with my good ear (right ear constantly rings ever since a shotgun blast was a tad too close to my head duck hunting), I can't hear any static, humming, with source on or off.

The sound is cleaner than its ever been. Not to mention some treble problems I was having with these particular speakers has disappeared.

Last few questions though... Do the CHG from each PCB still need to be connected to eachother?

Oh, also, for some reason, there is DC offset of .050v on the left channel even with the power turned off, right channel is 0v. Don't know if what would cause this...

Thank you to ALL who have helped me, Carlos, I personally would like to thank you for all your help. Thanks for putting up with such a new-b.

drfrink24 said:
Total.

Silence.

We're talking, nothing. Nada.

Even with my good ear (right ear constantly rings ever since a shotgun blast was a tad too close to my head duck hunting), I can't hear any static, humming, with source on or off.

The sound is cleaner than its ever been. Not to mention some treble problems I was having with these particular speakers has disappeared.

That's a good upgrade... for free.:D
No, you still win two pieces of wire...

drfrink24 said:
Last few questions though... Do the CHG from each PCB still need to be connected to eachother?

I would disconnect CHG from the boards.
Make a star ground on the PSU and then connect just one wire to the chassis for shielding.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.