Gaincard pictures revisited

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
KT said:
I don't know if it's some urban legend or the truth, but that thing about the vibration and tensioning of the fasteners contributing to the sound of the Gaincard also makes me hesitate a bit.

I wouldn't be surprised if there is something to that. I once experimented with the screws on a top panel of the amp (I know Carlos loves that story) and the sound was changing depending on amount of pressure that was applied.

One way, to not get things out of aligment when opening the Gaincard, is using power screwdriver with adjustable cluch. When unscrewing slowly turn the clutch dial until the nut start to move. Use the same setting for tightemning things back and you should be able not upset the alignmet too much.

Regarding the oversized socket, by using a grinder you can make the walls thinner.

But with a equipment of that caliber, one is not always tempted to open it up. It took me almost a year before i took the cover from ML31.5 and Levinson DAC still stays unopen.

Peter Daniel said:

One way, to not get things out of aligment when opening the Gaincard, is using power screwdriver with adjustable cluch. When unscrewing slowly turn the clutch dial until the nut start to move. Use the same setting for tightemning things back and you should be able not upset the alignmet too much.

Aren't we forgetting the discrepancy between static and kinetic friction? Not to mention there might be loctite on those bolts, causing even more resistance to breaking free.

Max

Just another Moderator
Joined 2003
Paid Member
whether or not changes to the bolt tension affecting sonics are real or just a clever way of discouraging people from opening the case I really don't know, but one possibility is that the resonant freq of the case (and more importantly the heat sink) may change depending on the tension.

Now IMO this is only relevant IF there is anything to the idea that vibrations though the heat sink being transfered to the chip can actually affect the sonics... I can see it could be possible due to piezo electric effects, but whether or not it really makes a difference I don't know.

Tony.

I have. How about just doing the bolts back up while it's playing and tightening by ear? I still say the witness mark is better than a power tool torque setting. If the bolts are refastened with the same setting as was needed to remove them, then they will be too tight. Have you ever used a torque wrench to remove a bolt that you had just torqued down? I guarantee it will click before the bolt releases.

Max

edit: reply to peter

open the gain card

Say what??? the tightening of the bolts changing the sound quality? I know its been a while sense college physics, but I didnt forget thet much I hope! a piece of pourly soldered and etched .99 cent PC board a very small hand full of cheap 5 and 10% tollerance parts and a coulpe of 1500uf skinned caps ( I wont even go there, they distort less you Know!!!!) and some cheap wire and a very well designed chip thanks to National Semi Me thinkist the chip sound good not the POS.

Well, I have built an amp based on the above considerations. There are some substantial differences compared to the Gaincard, however.

GCC7b.jpg

More words and pictures at DogBreath.de

Mick

What the...

I would be raging mad if I paid $5k for an amplifier thats nothing more than $20 in parts and straight from the datasheets at national.com. The tension of the screws affecting the sound quality? Oh please. Don't even suggest such a thing until you can show me repeatable evidence of this phenomenon. Theres a reason this amp has the screws glued in recessed holes. Its to keep people from laughing at the insides. BTW the japanese do have problems soldering. I looked at some eddy current equipment manufactued there and it looks like someones first kit project.

Is this the same company who sells the battery operated amp that must be run from carbon zinc batteries because SLA makes it sound bad. If this guy can sell a $5k gainclone then I am clearly in the wrong business. Maybe its time I sell liquid cd coatings and interconnects made by nude virgins in a climate controlled room...

Re: What the...

astouffer said:

Is this the same company who sells the battery operated amp that must be run from carbon zinc batteries because SLA makes it sound bad.

Nope.

Maybe its time I sell liquid cd coatings and interconnects made by nude virgins in a climate controlled room...

Good luck.
Expect to find some tough competition http://www.machinadynamica.com/machina41.htm

Re: They just don't want you to open it

carlosfm said:

Oh Lord... this is getting spooky.
Suppose it sounds better when you've just break the screw's head by overtightening?

Are you suggesting using the screws as trimmers? :p

No. I think the whole thing is a hoax too. It was just that the method that Peter had suggested for measuring and retorquing the bolts was questionable. As a mechanic, I was arguing a mechanical method. In this case I don't think it matters in the least as long as the bolts aren't audibly rattling. But, if you think you can hear the difference, I challenge a double blind A/B test on loose vs tight bolts.

Max

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.