• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Gain stage with g2-feedback.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Another variation for your consideration - I've seen a 6BL8 (ECF80) triode/pentode used in a well regarded pre/line amp.
The pentode section was used as the cathode follower. g1 + g2 drive to the CF with the g2 drive via the triode section also wired as a cathode follower. g1 and g2 drive same phase with g2 drive AC voltage approx 30% of g1 drive. Now my first impression of that is that is a bit "weird" - would'nt that represent positive feedback to the screen?

Cheers,
Ian (also)

Attachments

• Screenshot from 2013-07-03 14:53:27.png
    Screenshot from 2013-07-03 14:53:27.png
    99.2 KB · Views: 552
Ruprt Neve's circuit is virtually identical apart from the triode is a CF. Maybe the RCA tube manual was his inspiration.

Possibly, although this is a very well-known and obvious topology, so he may well have thought of it independently (most people who use pentodes probably have). A cascode version of this circuit was patented a few years ago too: US4647872 (rather pointlessly as it happens, because that too was an old and obvious circuit!).

Last edited:
Another variation for your consideration - I've seen a 6BL8 (ECF80) triode/pentode used in a well regarded pre/line amp.
The pentode section was used as the cathode follower. g1 + g2 drive to the CF with the g2 drive via the triode section also wired as a cathode follower. g1 and g2 drive same phase with g2 drive AC voltage approx 30% of g1 drive. Now my first impression of that is that is a bit "weird" - would'nt that represent positive feedback to the screen?

Sounds like a bootstrapped circuit which aims to reduce the input capacitance of the cathode follower by feeding the output signal back to the screen grid, so there is less (signal) voltage difference between G1 and G2. It sounds similar to the cascoded version popular with Allen Wright; http://www.vacuumstate.com/images_upload/gross/fvp5_rev_1_s.gif
see also "An AC cathode-follower circuit of very high input impedance", J.R.Macdonald, Review of Scientific Instruments, Feb 1954.

That is a new 'old' cct. When I still had hair I used it in two PPUL 6L6GCs circa 1960. Still have them here on the shelf, still working. Some caps had to be replaced over many years. The OPTs are noname from Japan but quality, they came with freq response traces on graph paper.:D

And also appears in the last RCA Receiving Tube Manual RC30, p695.:)
The cct is a form of DC NFB & helps stabilize the tube pair. But the cct it replaces is just as effective, the pentode G2 resistor provides a large DC NFB that stabilizes the OP same as the cathode resistor.

Attachments

• 25W Amp Schematic 30C.jpg
    25W Amp Schematic 30C.jpg
    201.6 KB · Views: 221
  • 25W Amp Front.jpg
    25W Amp Front.jpg
    74.9 KB · Views: 210
  • 25W Amp Bottom.jpg
    25W Amp Bottom.jpg
    82.5 KB · Views: 198
How Effective is Screen Supply Stabiliztion from Following Cathode

Curiosity drove me to do the tests a few years ago. Not much difference measured at all. The pdf covers how the work was done :)

Attachments

• Measure Step Size.pdf
    86.7 KB · Views: 72
  • 6U8 Test Circuit Internal DC FB to Screen.JPG
    6U8 Test Circuit Internal DC FB to Screen.JPG
    27.1 KB · Views: 147
  • Screen DC FB Test Circuit Normal.jpg
    Screen DC FB Test Circuit Normal.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 150
A recent circuit posted by JC Morrison in a facebook group, reportedly having almost 80dB gain!
I ask myself, what is the use of that BJT in between the mosfet and the screen ??
John Broskie in Tubecad discusses Ultra-linear line preamp.
Below are some examples.
Exept those are no real UL.
UL has Va = Vg2 with no signal and Vg2 goes over and under Va.
Mona

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.