Gabriel build

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Side on

Attachments

• p1000844.jpg
    p1000844.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 544
AT LAST

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Woohoo! I've done it...

Now it is in no way perfect, but then it was only really intended as a first stab and not a final offering. So it will be painted to fit in with the decor and played with so I can work out what I want to do next.

Had brief listen. I only have one at the minute (the second one is drying) so i just swapped it for one of my office speakers - driven from the Sonic-T - it sounds very smooth with a lot more bass than I had thought (but I am in a small room).

I'll give you the full low down - build errors and sonic performance - once I have a pair.

Planet10 and Scott in particular, THANKS

Attachments

• p1000847.jpg
    p1000847.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 592
Aengus said:
Alistair72, very nice build.

Did you fill the triangular top-and-bottom voids with anything?

Regards.

Aengus

Thanks.

I did fill the void. I dabbled with the idea of using expanding foam, but was afraid I would burst the void if I over did it. A friend was really pushing sand as a filler, which I may try, but weight is an issue.

A eventually after a lot of sonic soul searching I went for Bio-Catolet. A light cellulose granule cat litter which has the right sonic properties and most importantly the local shop had the required three bags ;) As it is the finished speakers weigh in at 22.5kg each.

The difference was noticeable when filling. An empty void rang when tapped, and it became a dull thud with little or no sustain once full.

First impressions

Trooper46 said:
looks good. cant wait to hear your full impressions once you get a pair and a few hours of listening.

I had about half an hour of messing around.

Initial tryout as a pair - WOW!

The only free space was the bedroom (about 16'x12') placed about 6' apart with me about the same. Driven by the un-modded Sonic T and and iPod (line level). They were out in the room in front of fitted drawers and just sat on the carpet.

Voices are stunning. Sandy Denny, Emiliana Torrini just blew me away, the intro to Suedes Wild ones brought the hairs up on the back of my neck. Played a bit of rock and blues and ambient stuff.

They seem a bit directional, if you move too close the imaging goes. But the imaging was pretty damn good.

They shift a lot air. I was really impressed with the bass.

Overall I mostly felt wow these are amazing. However there is some stuff that felt odd, but I guess this is the first time I have really heard single drivers so I will listen a bit more and let every thing settle in before I start to get critical.

I need to get my wifi running properly so i can get the squeeze box running then I plan to set up my old hifi and then do a direct A-B comparison, but I feel an Ebay session coming on...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.