G&W 2006TX PreAmp upgrade • Rice Inside •

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
With MKC and PIO K75-24 better all, bass improved or at least as good as before (MKC does it better than the PIO), better in all ways highs. Later maybe goin' for shunt regs.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Thanks all for this pre-amp (it's written on it!) or buffer,
Matthieu

Next to come: res featured are in best case 5%, any gain in goin' 1% or hand matched?
And the numerous Wima green box 0.1µF 100V on amp?

Here is the final setup for capacitors, 3 per channel:

ClarityCap PX 3.3µF + Russian hybrid K75-24 2.2µF + Vishay MKP 1837 0.01µF.

OEM MKC with K75-24 removed the harsh highs, now it's a far better improvement;
bass are defo stronger and highs are more real and all the scene is precise, a big step. Will stick to this as it is an amazing amp in this state.

Does it make sense to...

Does it make sens to unplug the G&W preamp and wire this to the amp board directly:

Classic 9.0 pre-amplifier and its external PSU:

http://www.ornec.com/Classic_9_0_Tube_Pre-amplifier_QQC100055C
http://www.videohifi.com/17_classic.htm

Will unload some the G&W amp transformer then? Will definitly improve sound? It's in case I'll go to China and bring one back in my case...

Or go in a separate cheap R shape TX (how many VA?) and far more expensive S-regulators...

RCruz said:

Hi Matthieu

What is your oppinion about the Classic 8.0B ?

I really need a power amp but know nothing about them.

Regards

Ricardo

Don't buy the Classic 8.0B, I've had an hear in China and it's an 6.10 power amp part ( 6.10 is the same plus the preamp ):
Not that much power ( 80... not at all, around 50... some have used 3 of these to make a very good home theatre setup as bass is a subwoofer matter).
Very clean highs but missing bass, that's why I've kept the G&W, far better in bass and now with good caps at the preamp exit it's better everywhere (I really wonder if any other integrated can do better according to the price! Again it's a wonder! Will try CD53 and G&W at my shop on the speakers I'm longing for... JMR Euterpe, they'll review my stuff with no idea as "chinese crap" in mind, the very first time I came was with my... DiscMan Sony, they said "wow sounds good!" coz it was first gen and no compressed buffer, direct DAC (shocks sensible anyway...)).
You'de better go for the G&W, in worst case it's only very good ;). But it's always a money problem... it's quite cheap anyway!
And as you can read before I wanna use the G&W's power amp section and an outside preamp (Classic 9.0)...
Right now very good setup and really deserve good speakers, will do things in order now =)

As I said I'll go for Classic 6.6 and try preamp on it. In worst case it's also a world's best integrated.
This Classic 6.6 is famous to switch amp mode and give powerfull high listening levels and wery sweet warm low listening levels. Bass are famous to be a wonder also, witch I like!
And I think there's room for modding ;)

A simple switch back the amp let you use or not the pre-amp.

And if really you don't love it you can resell it very easily! Maybe to me ;)
remember it's first a question of money ;)

http://www.sixmoons.com/audioreviews/yushang/classic.html

Joined 2006
Paid Member
Malefoda said:
As I said I'll go for Classic 6.6 and try preamp on it. In worst case it's also a world's best integrated.
This Classic 6.6 is famous to switch amp mode and give powerfull high listening levels and wery sweet warm low listening levels. Bass are famous to be a wonder also, witch I like!
And I think there's room for modding ;)

A simple switch back the amp let you use or not the pre-amp.

And if really you don't love it you can resell it very easily! Maybe to me ;)
remember it's first a question of money ;)

http://www.sixmoons.com/audioreviews/yushang/classic.html
Hi Matthieu

I am considering this amp.

Would you please explain your quote: "This Classic 6.6 is famous to switch amp mode"

I read the review in sixmoons and understand that this amp does not present a very wide soundstage... Do you think this could be improved with some simple mods ?

Regards

Ricardo

I mean the amp does change the way it amplify sound if it s at low levels, said to give very smooth listening feeling at very low levels.
And yes I think it can be very well modded as parts are "normal" parts such as Wima MKP audio path capacitors and not audio grade...
Buy it, if it does not fits you sell it to me then ;)
And I think you won't!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.