Funniest snake oil theories

Status
Not open for further replies.
well, here it goes again. in an ideal world, the only logical answer to such a statement would be "just shut your money-grabbing trap". but no, we have political correctness and tolerance

CD's don't have enough excess response characteristics, in either bandwidth or word length, to sound critically accurate especially as used with most real-world recording practices. Perhaps if the red book 24 bit format had been implemented much more widely, and a bit more intelligence had been applied to avoiding brick wall filtering artifacts, things would have been considerably better with CD. But, no, the Greek Chorus and Sony Marketing were all chanting "perfect sound forever". My response has nothing to do with 'getting accurate data' from a CD which I always have known was not a serious issue, except perhaps in the earliest days.

I've understood that the 'power' of homeopathic medicine is in invoking the placebo effect. Of course, this is all 'faith based', but doesn't necesarily quite fall into the 'fake' category, IMO, since there are cases of positive documented placebo responses, whether it can be proved that they are associated with the 'cure' or not.

Last edited:
LINKS PLEASE . I do find your writing worth reading about many things.

Good place to start:

The Red Light District: A 15W Push-Pull Amplifier
The Red Light District, p2

I've also got quite a few posts here with yet more experimental results of using LEDs rather than RC combos. Bottom lines: low impedance, low noise, instantaneous recovery from overload (the biggest Achilles Heel of RC biasing), small size, low cost, visual indication of circuit functioning.

CD's don't have enough excess response characteristics, in either bandwidth or word length, to sound critically accurate especially as used with most real-world recording practices. Perhaps if the red book 24 bit format had been implemented much more widely, and a bit more intelligence had been applied to avoiding brick wall filtering artifacts, things would have been considerably better with CD. But, no, the Greek Chorus and Sony Marketing were all chanting "perfect sound forever". My response has nothing to do with 'getting accurate data' from a CD which I always have known was not a serious issue, except perhaps in the earliest days.

Thoriated, have you ever set up a small blind test to see if you can discern what you claim?

There are studies which claim to show that 16/44.1 is audibly transparent. If I was offered good odds on my fellow audiophiles' ability to hear dithered 16/44.1 being switched into the audio path, I would still decline the bet!!!!

SY,

If I use an infra red LED under a tube will music change the TV channel?...:confused:

:D..Sorry

M. Gregg
That euro digital syn pop should do nicely for that !
So have expressed thoughts about light causing noise in tubes . If this was an effect then placing the leds on the bottom of the board would remove that form any effect in the circuit and stop the channel changing I will add. a little glow out the bottom should still be able to be seen . Sy you did cover all the bases low cost ,strong performance , long life , low noise. Using led for cathode bias with its fast recovery from overload a problem that is far to common is interesting. But you missed the snake oil color mix and match for sonic differences not for volt of bias differences Yellow for warmer, red for attack , green for calming , blue for cool over tones, white for detail , and inferred for deep deep bass.

Last edited:
I get the irony, you politely responded to a rather offensive phrase :) point well taken.
I used to believe the standard anti-digital argument (the brick-wall filter). but a bit of serious reading (hint: this does not normally include forum reading) went a long way.
but getting back to reality... we're kind of stuck with those 16 bits and 44.1kHz, aren't we? physical hi-res (SACD, DVD-A) didn't exactly catch and the majority of the catalog is RedBook. sure, one can argue that if you're serious enough about audio you should look into SACD/DVD-A but I still believe it's about the music, not the sound, and if what I like is not available in high-res, I believe I can be happy with RedBook :)
not going into whether there's a difference or not, I thinkthat even most audiophiles (as in excluding the non-audiophiles) don't own the upstream gear that is capable of showing the differences.
the question remains: will RedBook die and be replaced with computer audio?

I've understood that the 'power' of homeopathic medicine is in invoking the placebo effect. Of course, this is all 'faith based', but doesn't necesarily quite fall into the 'fake' category, IMO, since there are cases of positive documented placebo responses, whether it can be proved that they are associated with the 'cure' or not.
homeopathic medicine, I knew it will eventually be mentioned :D
TBH I don't know. there are intelligent and informed people who believe in it. OTOH, the way it's marketed begs for skepticism. so we get to another question.
how come? how come it has real effects and informed people see its benefits, while at the same time it is marketed in ways who normally don't appeal to informed people? I think this contradiction stands to reason.

Last edited:
I think I just had a revelation.
I lived through the last days of the tube-based TV, you could still find working (just a manner of speaking) ones some 20+ years ago. don't know if you ever had the pleasure to use such a thing but you can imagine that poor sockets, poor switches, short-lived tubes and many bad design decisions amounted to a quirky product. at one point you would become mystical about it and take whatever illogical measures in order to make them work. you'd place a book under the antenna because at some point that seemed to have an effect.
why?
because one was stuck with a thing one didn't understand or had any control over. one could not predict the effect thermal expansion/contraction would have on some bad switch or socket :) it was practically random so you had to resort to "magic", imagining it really works.
I believe the same goes with products like the one above: don't understand the physics involved in audio? just say to yourself it's magic and be done with it :)

Last edited:
Thoriated, have you ever set up a small blind test to see if you can discern what you claim?

I was effectively put in that position when I bought, unknown beforehand, a few digitally remastered but otherwise all analog LPs. With one in particular which is a multitrack rock album, I could hear the digital signature which changed the overall presentation and lowered sonic detail, both compared to an older all analog copy and, more markedly, a newer 180g all analog copy. In the 180g version, I could hear what sounded like 'mid 80's op amp grain (it sounded similar to the TL060-80 series that was popular in some pro electronics then) in several of the cuts - that was when the recording dated from. Of course, such a change as this would imply differences in the musical presentation, also. There was no hint of this in the digitally mastered version, even though the pressing was about as 'quiet' as the 180g version, and most '80's op amp series have long been superceded in pro electronics.

Last edited:
Getting back on topic...

High end cables supposedly need burning in for a considerable period. Yet used cables sell for less than new ones. Why??
Well, for one thing someone else already had all the fun of burning them in.

There's also considerable risk in buying second-hand cables. What if the previous owner did the burn-in wrong, or accidentally connected them the wrong way around? They could be totally ruined.

Disabled Account
Joined 2010
Getting back on topic...

High end cables supposedly need burning in for a considerable period. Yet used cables sell for less than new ones. Why??

Well,

I have done it many times...:D..why not? (as long as they have not been battered buy second hand)
And had cables on loan from HIFI audio shops..some very expensive types..put them on your system for a few days and have a listen..
I have also had speakers on loan in the past as well..and CD players etc. It helps when you know people...

Regards
M. Gregg

Last edited:
What I mean is, shouldn't pre-burned in cables be more desirable than brand new? Or is there a meme that an 'imprint' of the previous owner's musical taste may be left in the cable? If there isn't such a meme, there should be!

Edit: Sorry, didn't see the above replies that said the same thing!

Disabled Account
Joined 2010
Well,

The imprint depends on .. did they drink wine, beer, smoke, or play while eating curry or chinese food...:D..<<I like both..

You would be surprised...:confused:...did the dog chew on them..etc..:D

On a serious note its just physical damage..twisting them through the back of HIFI racks etc. You can still make good cables..

The Maplin pro series is way better than RS twin...if your a none believer ..Audioquest ruby was a weird cable..
Going back some years I used to buy audio cable and fit my own plugs it was way cheaper..and if you told them what plugs you were fitting they would even prep the ends for the plug type..the inside of some of these cables has to be seen to be believed...you cant just solder to them...
Then came XLO cable..so I tried making my own...

The main thing is..what are you wiring with inside the kit...you say well just wire<<thats OK its not in cable form..ie twisted, screened, plated etc...Then your probably thinking so OK I twist heater cables..so what..

Here is another Myth (Not)<<< can you run single supply cable through a hole in metalwork?.... no its not like a single screen.<< snake oil...

Regards
M. Gregg

Last edited:
What I mean is, shouldn't pre-burned in cables be more desirable than brand new?

Strangely the same reviewer who raves about cable differences and burn in also talks about the dramatic effect of unplugging cables on Naim CD players, cleaning up the contacts and reseating to RESTORE sound quality.

So is cable burn in the early stages of contact degradation?

Disabled Account
Joined 2010
So is cable burn in the early stages of contact degradation?

Yes...its one part..but you see you would have to accept you can hear a difference doing this..Then say well why is it happening...then say no...because the sound cant change just with signal flowing through other material for such a short distance..Then look at the PITA connectors on Audio quest cable that you can tighten down on the connection with a built in clamp...:D..its more of the reptile cable..

Regards
M. Gregg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.