Funniest snake oil theories

Status
Not open for further replies.
When someone believes for a substantial period of time a particular thing, it's difficult or impossible to make them believe anything else.

That apply to everyone? That is to say, is there anything you have believed for a substantial period of time?

Attachments

• Quotefancy-6541977-3840x2160.jpg
    Quotefancy-6541977-3840x2160.jpg
    266.5 KB · Views: 88
That apply to everyone? That is to say, is there anything you have believed for a substantial period of time?
In general, yes, humans, like other living things, have memory retention capabilities.
So it's natural for someone to believe something until they're "educated" or "updated" to believe something different.
Surely you know that.

It's pretty clear that on the internet for instance, the masses are fed misinformation without being able to determine the actual validity of something.
They've got no way to really know, only going on hear-say, along with the "advice" and coaching of others that make claims to something discussed.
Those manipulative "star ratings" for products are one such example.

I, for one, "do my homework" about something, and unfortunately, many don't - they're either too lazy to research it, or just patterened to accept things as fact.
And since being a professional in my field, and having senior status now, rely on my own experience to guide my decisions.

Surely you know that.

Indeed. Just checking to see if we agree on that.

Of course, you probably also know that other people do their 'research' and come to somewhat different conclusions than you. Different from me as well. A good friend describes himself more or less like you describe yourself. He complains about lazy people not doing their research, believing stuff that isn't true etc. One of the areas where people tend to disagree is in their judgment of other people.

When someone believes for a substantial period of time a particular thing, it's difficult or impossible to make them believe anything

Many are taught and believe that "you get what you pay for" or, that price is proportional to quality. The snake oil industry is certainly built on this notion.

Here's one real experience I had with the subject.....

A close friend owned a retail store in the tourist section of New Orleans in the 80's. He carried a lot of watches, mostly Seiko and Casio, which were always good sellers.
One time he buys some off-brand novelty watches on a closeout deal. These were a necklace style watch in the shape of a ladybug.
The wholesale cost was only $50 per dozen, or about $4 each, so he buys 2 dozen.
Marks them up to $15 each, figuring people would buy them for their kids etc., but they sit in the display case for nearly a year without selling even one.
We were talking about it one day and decided to experiment a little, so he raises the price to $50 each.
Within a month all 24 had sold.
Seems at $15, the watch was perceived as worthless junk, but at $50, it magically became desirable.

Price can be proportional to quality, but only up to certain point, and then we enter the realm of reptilian lubrication.

Last edited:
Same thing here, wife liked sunglasses for 500, but the same ones were deemed junk at 150 wholesale.

My city is a center for eye glasses, and the wholesale prices are really low.

I have seen this in people who are obsessed with price tags, the more expensive your phone is, the more they will try to talk to you.

Many are taught and believe that "you get what you pay for" or, that price is proportional to quality. The snake oil industry is certainly built on this notion.

Here's one real experience I had with the subject.....

A close friend owned a retail store in the tourist section of New Orleans in the 80's. He carried a lot of watches, mostly Seiko and Casio, which were always good sellers.
One time he buys some off-brand novelty watches on a closeout deal. These were a necklace style watch in the shape of a ladybug.
The wholesale cost was only $50 per dozen, or about $4 each, so he buys 2 dozen.
Marks them up to $15 each, figuring people would buy them for their kids etc., but they sit in the display case for nearly a year without selling even one.
We were talking about it one day and decided to experiment a little, so he raises the price to $50 each.
Within a month all 24 had sold.
Seems at $15, the watch was perceived as worthless junk, but at $50, it magically became desirable.

Price can be proportional to quality, but only up to certain point, and then we enter the realm of reptilian lubrication.
Indeed, just like the McIntosh audio equipment - luxury-priced - and quite in demand for decades.
Like for those prices, it's some kind of magical thing to aquire.
To me, they're not really better than other equipment, and in some cases, have worse specifications.
But alas, they draw a big crowd, hey, it's their money, what do I care.

My neighbor is a McIntosh freak, insists on it.
When I showed him specs of his Mc amp, and then my Technics, the Technics was hugely better specs, he refuses to understand, and still buys into his McIntosh lifestyle.
It's only a damn name!

I bought a cheap $11 generic wristwatch at Kmart, the thing, asides from needing a new battery on occasion, has been as reliable as a fancy Rolex.
It-Tells-The-Time, period ......... that's all I need, not some status symbol, I don't have that need or weakness.

I can make phone calls and write text messages from my watch. It will keep track of how far I go, how many calories I burned... I can pair bluetooth headphones and use it as my music player. I also use it to pay for things...

As far as my "it tells the time" watch, it's a Timex from the 1960's and it's spring wound... It only runs 2 minutes fast per day...

I can make phone calls and write text messages from my watch. It will keep track of how far I go, how many calories I burned... I can pair bluetooth headphones and use it as my music player. I also use it to pay for things...

As far as my "it tells the time" watch, it's a Timex from the 1960's and it's spring wound... It only runs 2 minutes fast per day...
I don't need that fanatical stuff in my life thankfully.
I'd rather watch the rest of the world succumb to that stuff.
I'm not one to hop on the "merry-go-round" of consumerism that is so adored by the Rat Race.
I like my own individuality just fine.

Indeed, just like the McIntosh audio equipment - luxury-priced - and quite in demand for decades.
Like for those prices, it's some kind of magical thing to aquire.
To me, they're not really better than other equipment, and in some cases, have worse specifications.
But alas, they draw a big crowd, hey, it's their money, what do I care.

My neighbor is a McIntosh freak, insists on it.
When I showed him specs of his Mc amp, and then my Technics, the Technics was hugely better specs, he refuses to understand, and still buys into his McIntosh lifestyle.
It's only a damn name!
don't forget the dancing needles of the meters!

I think McIntosh stuff looks cool, I would aspire to own any though, all that power and a two man life seems quite daft when my current amp draws 1 watt playing music loud. I guess 1 watt average ( shared between both channels ) would equate to 5 or 10 watt peaks. I also like the new Yamaha amps, with their big alloy faceplates and uv meters, but even one of them would be overkill. I'll admit that I once liked " bling " stuff ( although the only bling thing that I'll ever have is a Pinarello Cantena ), and I'm glad that there is such beautiful, sometimes well made stuff but I've come to realize that owning it is just a coping mechanism for insecurity .

I think McIntosh stuff looks cool, I would aspire to own any though, all that power and a two man life seems quite daft when my current amp draws 1 watt playing music loud. I guess 1 watt average ( shared between both channels ) would equate to 5 or 10 watt peaks. I also like the new Yamaha amps, with their big alloy faceplates and uv meters, but even one of them would be overkill. I'll admit that I once liked " bling " stuff ( although the only bling thing that I'll ever have is a Pinarello Cantena ), and I'm glad that there is such beautiful, sometimes well made stuff but I've come to realize that owning it is just a coping mechanism for insecurity .
Sorry " wouldn't aspire "

dick-tracy-5.jpg

Yes, the future is here, whether you like it, need it, want it, or not.
And in spite of previous predictions like "There is no reason anyone would want a computer in their home." -- Ken Olson, president, chairman and founder of Digital Equipment Corp., 1977.
I'd like to see what the next 90 years brings.

Reactions: 1 user
I can appreciate the "Art" that is the McIntosh...as long as the specs are below realistic human perceptions, which has long since exceeded. So what remains is solely art, design, esthetics, something sorely missing since the "Black Death" that struck long ago. My Carver TFM-15CB is well within this "affliction" of the Black Death...or rather the death of esthetics. Give me a nice old Marantz, Kenwood or Yamaha & I'll adore just looking at it.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Rick...

Attachments

• Yamaha 640.jpg
    Yamaha 640.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 66
McIntosh is hand crafted and 100% built in the USA. It looks cool and it is cool. It will always hold its value. It is very durable and you will always be able to repair it.

McIntosh still uses output transformers. They wind their own transformers. They're a stubborn company and their customers are stubborn customers.

I think of their equipment as museum worthy. It represents the state of the art in audio, 60 years ago. I don't think it's practical at all and its performance is mediocre at best. It's cool like a 1950 Jaguar Mark V is cool as a daily driver. How many people could, or would, do that. Sure it's cool but I'd rather DD a Camry no matter how rich I was.

Hi fi is driven by marketing, emotions, and snake oil. My buddy was gushing about a Krell amplifier he got for free. It doesn't work and he's going to fix it. I told him the only reason to restore it is if you have an audio museum in your home. Otherwise use the power supply if it works, maybe and put a modern amplifier circuit in there, with modern parts. It will perform much better.

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.