Funniest snake oil theories

Status
Not open for further replies.
Joined 2014
Paid Member
well to put myself up for ridicule I fitted an ESD plug to the distribution block my hifi is on. I'm fed up on dry days with the felt mat sticking to the record so time to experiment. Zerostats are £50 so I'll start cheap with a wrist strap. Wife wont allow an ESD mat in the living room for some odd reason :)

Why UK turntable manufacturers don't ground the spindle is beyond me.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
As far as I am aware this was the first time we talked about John Major's misuse of the phrase 'put up and shut up' as 'put up or shut up' which I seem to remember happened during the run up of the '92 general election in the UK and which has stuck.

<snip>

That's pretty strange, the phrase "put up or shut up" has been in common usage here in New England for pretty much my entire life, which way pre-dates John Major's use of the term in 1992. Perhaps he borrowed it from us. And here it means exactly what Scott said it does.

Edit: A little research reveals the exact expression and meaning goes back at least 150 years in the U.S.

meaning - What is the origin and sense of the phrase “put up or shut up”? - English Language & Usage Stack Exchange

An interesting diversion? LOL A related expression is "put your money where your mouth is"

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
well to put myself up for ridicule I fitted an ESD plug to the distribution block my hifi is on. I'm fed up on dry days with the felt mat sticking to the record so time to experiment. Zerostats are £50 so I'll start cheap with a wrist strap. Wife wont allow an ESD mat in the living room for some odd reason :)

Why UK turntable manufacturers don't ground the spindle is beyond me.

I have grounded spindles on both of my tables, it doesn't help at all. I also have a zerostat III and that doesn't help either.. LOL What does help is humidity, and choice of clothing, wool, and polar fleece are muy bad. Shoes bad too, bare feet better. Get a humidifier, damp as blazes today and no static. Last night quite the reverse and mat following records off of the grounded platter due to large difference in tribo-electric charge between the record and mat. Very strong field!

That's pretty strange, the phrase "put up or shut up" has been in common usage here in New England for pretty much my entire life, which way pre-dates John Major's use of the term in 1992. Perhaps he borrowed it from us. And here it means exactly what Scott said it does.

Edit: A little research reveals the exact expression and meaning goes back at least 150 years in the U.S.

meaning - What is the origin and sense of the phrase “put up or shut up”? - English Language & Usage Stack Exchange

An interesting diversion? LOL A related expression is "put your money where your mouth is"

That is the meaning I remember as well. But it can change over time. We have an old series of “hardy boys”, and my nephew came by once and browsed through some being amazed that the current series had been rewritten to more today language.

There are way less than 60 "styles" but probably more than 6000 breweries here.
With that background the topic of "craft beer" seems kind of pointless...

I think locals may not be aware that studies are made to categorize them. It seems the different styles stem from different cities with different industry and culture. I have only tasted a few because I was in Munich for two weeks only, but it would be fun to go to different cities to taste the differences.

No need, 15 or so on draught would suffice. My favorite, Hacker-Pschorr Pils remains elusive though.

No kidding. I have the hat but never had the beer.

IMG_20180123_235434.jpg

(For DIY cred you can see one of my Llinkwitz Plutos, my Salas RIAA and my modded TD160 in the background. Just so you know I actually do build stereo gear, though I haven't uncovered new principles of physics.)

Mark-

I enjoyed your LA article on rectifiers and ringing and intend on building your Quasimoto (sp?) for further experimenting. It seems odd to me power supply PCBs coming out of forum driven designs aside from chip amps don’t seem to be incorporating your sensible suggestions. I’d like to see if it provides improvements to my present Phono tube preamp with a Hammond doing HV and filaments of a rectifier tube. I know, perhaps as a man of the sand you might find this backwards.

Regarding the bybees:

As a rank hobbyist I can’t address the issue from any sort of technical angle.

Firstly by definition snake oil doesn’t rule out doing “something”, but rather that it doesn’t do what it advertises and its claims are usually grandiose with an exorbitant price tag.

Do I think bybees do something? I wouldn’t know. I have never used one or seen any. But let’s for a moment assume they did.

Do I think there are phenomena out there unmeasurable by modern equipment? Certainly.

Do I think psychological phenomena are more powerful at this level of what many report to be subtle nuance? Yes.

Do I think that the marketing claims are way out of line with the reality of the experience of most I see here in discussion who have tried them? Yes.

Do I think moving ones listening angle by a few steps would likely create more tangible result? Yes.

Do I think any money spent on a bybee is largely wasted considering its extreme cost and ambiguous, contentious results which can’t be meaningfully quantified? Yes.

Can someone really have a speaker system, a room and assorted gear so perfect that there is no room for more verifiable and scientifically sound improvements? Doubtful.

Do I think it’s wise to support this business given the above? No.

I feel it’s at best a wildly overpriced object from a disingenuous source, regardless of what it may do.

Whatever it does or doesn’t do, the real q for me is:

Does it matter in context?
Are my resources better channeled elsewhere?

So from an academic standpoint I can understand your defense of and curiosity in these sorts of things.... but practically speaking? Not for this guy.

Isn’t there something more fruitful we can all channel our energy toward?

Joined 2014
Paid Member
I do have a problem with the '0.01%' audibility in terms of this thread, which is that, for domestic audio electronics reaching these sorts of numbers have been somewhere between feasible and trivial to hit since the late 60s. However the level of effects from goop and magic discs etc is so many orders of magnitude below this even if it exists that there is no rationalilty for claiming audibility as -80dB is measurable even with a basic soundcard.

I would go further and say I am comfortable with the concept of 'crud 80dB down' being a FOM for totally transparent with the usual caveats of clipping performance and other non static effects.

Joined 2014
Paid Member
I have grounded spindles on both of my tables, it doesn't help at all. I also have a zerostat III and that doesn't help either.. LOL What does help is humidity, and choice of clothing, wool, and polar fleece are muy bad. Shoes bad too, bare feet better. Get a humidifier, damp as blazes today and no static. Last night quite the reverse and mat following records off of the grounded platter due to large difference in tribo-electric charge between the record and mat. Very strong field!

We had a very rare dry spell for ukthat caused this. In November we needed to buy a dehumidifier as things were so damp. The antistatic strap is a cheap experiment that may or may not work. I might score one of these as well ETI 800-125 Dial Room Hygrometer . It;ll be innacurate as anything but will at least allow a mark of when we are in crackle city :)

Last edited:
I don’t think what is mentioned in there addresses the problem. Has anyone actually done it?

The author did. The last two paragraphs summarize the results.

One thing they didn't address was the effects of digital jitter on spatial imaging. Possibly a good DAC alone, or suitable speakers alone, may not be enough to minimize image widening and certain masking effects.

Status
Not open for further replies.