Funniest snake oil theories

Status
Not open for further replies.
It seems to me that looking at RF amounts to putting the cart before the horse. The ultimate claim is that audio sounds different. Why not start by looking at the audio? A high quality, hi-res, A/D should be as easy to come by as any other test equipment. How about using that to collect data for analysis?

If differences are found, then an attempt to correlate the differences with differences in RF could be made.

If no audio differences can be measured, then what is there to correlate with RF measurements?

Granted it might take a little more than an A/D if necessary to interface to power amplifier output levels, but a Biscuit Tin for that should be easy as anything else.

When I remember right the RF test and the bit perfect files are two different matters.
He invented a special filter thing that wraps around a mains cable and wants to measure the effects it has in the SHF range to prove it has an influence on perception on audio even if measurements in the audio up to LF range show no effects.

As usual I could be wrong...

Bit perfect files may be another thing.

I am suggesting capturing new audio data so that measurements of audio data can be correlated with any measurements of RF data. Otherwise, what use is RF data if there is no measurable effect on sound quality? (using very high quality, hi-res data acquisition)

Last edited:
When I remember right the RF test and the bit perfect files are two different matters.
He invented a special filter thing that wraps around a mains cable and wants to measure the effects it has in the SHF range to prove it has an influence on perception on audio even if measurements in the audio up to LF range show no effects.

As usual I could be wrong...
Daniel, yes you are correct, the cable filters and the audio files are two different (although related) subjects.

I have tried capturing playback differences via loopback recordings but not reliably successful....not good enough usb sound card to get right down, like better than -100dB.

I'm not really worried about capturing audio differences just now....ample subjective testing has well proven system beneficial effects.

What I am interested in is seeing is the RF effects if any, hence my request for help on jigs....the pdf's I attached are good enough info for now.

Dan.

If the car feels faster or the amp sounds better or the wine tastes better, who cares about measurements or objective reality?

I do.
So far I have universally positive subjective results on all of the applications above.
One question is what are the physics reasons.

I'm not really worried about capturing audio differences just now....ample subjective testing has well proven system beneficial effects.

Well that intellectual curiosity didn't last long.

The best comparison to the insane theory that identical digital files conserve different information might be the water memory hoax at the basis of homeopathy.

Really this thread itself has degenerated into comedy.

I worked with someone who kept all of his photographs on the compact flash cards the images had originally stored to. He had read that transferring the images to other storage medium degraded the quality. He didn't crop or process so felt sure he was achieving a true image.
He owned a Canon A3 ink tank printer and to cause him anxiety I suggested that his printer was reading his CF cards then storing to a spooler before print.

:) You are having a laugh.
You know very well that this is a terrible strategy for life in general. Being credulous has gotten individuals and mankind in to so much trouble.
I guess in this thread it's a bit of harmless fun to encourage bad thinking. Let's keep it in here.
Orbiting teapots.

The worst in recent memory, the ADE 651 "bomb detector". There was even some reptiles who briefly scuttled out of the woodwork to support McCormick's claims before the sh*t really hit the fan for him.
Snake oil peddlers of the AV world are low achievers, Iraq paid $85 million for McCormick's brand of snake oil.
The worst part of the sorry tale is that it had been pulled before by Wade
Quattlebaum with his ludicrous Quadro tracker. I remember reading through argumentative threads on usenet regarding the possibility that the thing actually worked.

Status
Not open for further replies.