Funniest snake oil theories

Status
Not open for further replies.
Disabled Account
Joined 2017
'Why do you want to climb that mountain??'
'Because it is there...'

My mums old car (Toyota Camry Wagon) describes my ambitions fairly well. There is an incredibly steep hill where I am, easily a 30 degree gradient. The car has a problem, its a 2.2L manual and the hydraulic clutch is broken somehow so keeping it in gear is difficult without conking out the engine.

The car will gladly conk out about half way through the hill climb and start to slide back down the hill, because the handbrake is broken too and it wont stop ever because you'll have no brake booster vacuum.

I suppose the only way to stop it would be to keep the clutch out and use that to lock up the front tyres but exactly how much grip is needed to stop a 1.5 tonne wagon is up to scientists to ponder a thousand years from now.

Last edited:
Joined 2014
Paid Member
My mums old car (Toyota Camry Wagon) describes my ambitions fairly well. There is an incredibly steep hill where I am, easily a 30 degree gradient. The car has a problem, its a 2.2L manual and the hydraulic clutch is broken somehow so keeping it in gear is difficult without conking out the engine.

So it's a deathtrap? Luckily we have inspections here to keep those off the road. Note that the clutch should not cause a car to jump out of gear, that indicates another problem.

Disabled Account
Joined 2017
So it's a deathtrap? Luckily we have inspections here to keep those off the road. Note that the clutch should not cause a car to jump out of gear, that indicates another problem.

It's off the road! Thank goodness. She has a V6 of a '00 model camry now which flies and does everything it should.

Note that inspections never did pick up any of these issues and we had to find out that it was deadly through our own testing. There was an attempt to fix the handbrake but it still slides down a hill even when the handbrake cable is tightened up to its limits and the pads are all new. The clutch was also replaced in hoping that it would fix the issue but it didn't, as I said before I suspect that the problem is in the hydraulic portion of the clutch engaging mechanism that lies outside of the gearbox.

Also I should've worded the post correctly. It doesn't jump out of gear, the engine conks out at the slightest bit of load applied to it with the clutch engaged. I'm not that great with manuals and cannot describe it better, I only drive automatics.

It will be scrapped soon.

Last edited:
In post #12069, Evenharmonics said, "We already know the limits of human hearing, i.e. ... audible distortion levels."

His understanding appears in some ways to be contrary to what Dr. Earl Geddes said about the top 95% of the population.

Since Evenharmonics claims to know more about hearing tests than many other people he has rudely criticized over a long period of time, it doesn't seem inappropriate to finally call him out on it.
"You are now blocked from my view."
Looks like your blocked from view has a different meaning. I knew you are not to be taken seriously.

No, I'm asking you to explain this thing that is so completely "obvious" to you that you seem so incredibly reticent to explain. It makes it appear that you have no idea what you're actually talking about by remaining so utterly nebulous about your objections to people's posts. You can only get away with that for so long before you actually have to prove some legitimacy.

So let me give you a hint: DBT means double blind testing. That's it. Can we agree on at least this definition? Blinded experiment - Wikipedia

So that says nothing about your experimental design endpoints (what do you actually *want* to find out), how you execute that double blinded testing (forced pairing, ABX, triangle). So how many study subjects, how many trials per subject, preselection of your constituents, training protocol, et cetera, et cetera.

So rather than accuse me of being a pompous ___, how about you actually provide content?
Perhaps it's the result of communication problem. Maybe your reading skill or memory span is to blame. You seem to have misunderstood or forgotten what I've been posting about. Read again from post #11936 and on.

Joined 2014
Paid Member
Also I should've worded the post correctly. It doesn't jump out of gear, the engine conks out at the slightest bit of load applied to it with the clutch engaged. I'm not that great with manuals and cannot describe it better, I only drive automatics.

It will be scrapped soon.

That makes more sense. Depending on level of clockwork vs electronics that can be a pain to diagnose as running waaay too rich and waaay too lean can give exactly the same outome (stutter, cough, arrrgh).

Disabled Account
Joined 2017
They just check to see if the indicators are working and if the windscreen isn't chipped and test the brakes with a machine. Then you get a piece of paper and pay a fee and its all done 100% electronically, your car is fully registered from the time you get back into it. That is the typical tests for a pink slip.

A blue slip however is far more involved.

For ANY mods though you need an engineers plate and that isn't cheap.

Last edited:
Spoken like someone who's never done audio DBT. It doesn't cost 10s of thousands of dollars and it can be done in living room in order to be valid.

No content. Does nothing to refute the thrust of CarlP's post.

That's because you are only going by hearsay. Once you've gained actual experience, you will have a different view on audio DBT.

No content. Appeal to "experience" without any sort of factual experience. You know who else uses language like that? People who hear changes that cannot be validated by experiments. Funny!

Then look up the measurements.

No content. We're pretty sure by this point you don't actually know the measurements you're quoting.

You won't be if you express informed opinion.

No content.

Very well said! :up:

No content.

I mentioned "audio DBT" at least twice. You might want to stay on topic.

No content.

You too sound like someone who's never done audio DBT.

No content.

I knew it. You are not alone. I've seen posts like yours bunch of times online.

:rolleyes: What an odd response from a poster who wants to defend another poster who criticizes audio DBT without any personal experience which I called out.
You owe it to yourself to do some research on audio DBT before mouthing off what it is or isn't. It's not like what you think.

I've called out wrong statements for what they are and explained when needed. Your lack of understanding of the subject would make it appear "without any substance" but that's just your uninformed opinion.

You need to up your game by actually doing an audio DBT. There are certain things that are better understood by doing it. If that's too much for you, talk to those who have done it or read about those who documented their audio DBT.

Your continual armchair quarterback-ing of audio DBT is silly. It may not appear that way to you but after seeing it done by others multiple times online, it is. As already mentioned in my first paragraph, you are not alone and definitely not the first one to act such way.

Yes, I'm sure your definition of "audio DBT" is nothing like what I think, because you clearly haven't said a thing about what you mean by "audio DBT".

I haven't armchair quarterbacked anything about "audio DBT". I mentioned a few things about experimental design that would be extremely relevant to making a useful "audio dbt". These details might help you understand what you seem to be utterly missing.

Most of lab / scientific researches are already done for audio. We already know the limits of human hearing, i.e. audible frequency range, Fletcher-Munson Curves, audible distortion levels.
If you want to market a new drug to the public, you'd better make sure it won't harm or kill people. There's a huge liability attached to it. It's very different from audio DBT to see if some expensive boutique amp sounds different from a cheap receiver. It's apple and orange.

BTW, have you ever done an audio DBT?

The body of research is fairly solid in what it tries to accomplish, but hardly comprehensive, and definitively not definitive. So saying it's "already known" is to grossly overstep our understanding. Excellent in terms of defining your general averages and making a lot of folks off-hand claims pretty exceptional (and thus requiring some exceptional evidence), but quite a few of those studies are pretty shaky and quite-quite old. No one cares to fund anything more, so we do with what we've got. Most value recently has been towards making the least objectionable (and oftentimes inaudible) compression algorithms via masking. Most/many are based on speech intelligibility for better or worse.

And another attempt to silence people on a lack of "experience".

Didn't I already on post #12069?

Nope!

:rolleyes: Another odd response. So, after responding to me with such pompous @$$ posts like these,

you are now asking me to help you understand something about audio DBT as I would do for someone I care? If I tell you the word I want right now, it would violate the forum rule so it's omitted.
One thing I'll tell you though, I did participate in level matched amp and DAC DBTs.

You still haven't addressed what "audio dbt" means. Funny how I have for you. I'm glad I'm not relying on you to explain it to me.

"You are now blocked from my view."
Looks like your blocked from view has a different meaning. I knew you are not to be taken seriously.

No content.

Perhaps it's the result of communication problem. Maybe your reading skill or memory span is to blame. You seem to have misunderstood or forgotten what I've been posting about. Read again from post #11936 and on.

Two can play this game--there are all your posts from that post onwards. To quote a rather famous (in the US) commercial: "Where's the beef?" I see a load of empty content and insults. Not to mention a rather tasty logical fallacy in terms of "argument from personal experience".

So where again is my memory going faulty or reading comprehension suspect? I see you repeating "audio DBT" again and again and telling people they're ignorant because they haven't *participated* in a "audio DBT". I see absolutely NOTHING defining what you mean by "audio dbt" or of technical origin suggesting you have any idea what the heck you're talking about. Heck, I gave you plenty of extra information/keywords about what goes into an experiment so you can hurriedly Google to make yourself look more informed than you are.

Stax Headphones.jpg
SRD-6 SB.jpg
Anybody have any idea of what the voltages and currents to each of the earpieces might be ?.

Dan.

The body of research is fairly solid in what it tries to accomplish, but hardly comprehensive, and definitively not definitive. So saying it's "already known" is to grossly overstep our understanding. Excellent in terms of defining your general averages and making a lot of folks off-hand claims pretty exceptional (and thus requiring some exceptional evidence), but quite a few of those studies are pretty shaky and quite-quite old. No one cares to fund anything more, so we do with what we've got. Most value recently has been towards making the least objectionable (and oftentimes inaudible) compression algorithms via masking. Most/many are based on speech intelligibility for better or worse.

Well summarized, thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.