Funniest snake oil theories

Status
Not open for further replies.
What does "at 0.1%" even mean though? The only way I know of to get a number for distortion like that is with a sinewave, not with music. Otherwise. 0.1% of what? The amplitude of music components changes constantly.

Sorry. In the discussion with Geddes he was talking about the futility of using THD to rate amplifiers. In that discussion he said he could provide an example of 0.1% THD anybody could hear, and one that nobody could hear. Cross-over distortion is of the more easy-to-hear type.

Presumably, an amp rated for 0.5% THD as measured with a sine wave might be expected to have audible distortion with music for some or many listeners if the particular THD consisted mostly of cross-over distortion.

Joined 2014
Paid Member
surely cross-over distortion should be measured in time?

Carl: The effects of off centre pressing do seem to be readily audible, but are ignored by many. There are other modulation effects with vinyl which the ear is more sensitive too, but they are also more easily fixable.

Edit: I remembered what Earl said. He came up with a distortion profile which matched that produced by cross-over distortion. This profile could be calculated in terms of THD, but Bill is still correct that it doesn't mean much compared to a real signal.

Last edited:

Attachments

• A043C48B-DF86-48C8-9576-8F1CD4D7395A.JPG
    A043C48B-DF86-48C8-9576-8F1CD4D7395A.JPG
    760.3 KB · Views: 199
  • E60E014F-0DDE-4809-8E34-070019CD8F97.JPG
    E60E014F-0DDE-4809-8E34-070019CD8F97.JPG
    71.4 KB · Views: 194
  • 52D280ED-DAD7-43B8-9B8C-7451370870EA.JPG
    52D280ED-DAD7-43B8-9B8C-7451370870EA.JPG
    927.6 KB · Views: 201
Don't miss Stein pads is phenomenal....waste of money
Steinmusic E-Pad + s | Audio Upgrades and Tweaks

Wow, "...a materials spectrum of resonances, torsional forces and modulus of elasticity..." Can you for a single moment believe people fall for this? A block of wood here, a sticker there, a tiny cylinder of turned Aluminium...
The question boils down to...what won't they believe in? seems very little, after all, they can actually hear the difference right?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------Rick........

Soundhappy post 10796

Indeed. I was going to bring that up. Our brains are pretty impressive in how they fill in blanks (sometime those letters and numbers are just noise and sometimes they aren't - our brains seem pretty good at figuring that out). That said, I'm not convinced that ANY of these snake oil devices discussed so far can actually do what the brain does in terms of filtering out what is noise and what isn't noise in audio playback. (other than, of course, those low level radio communications). I understand some here will disagree, and that's your prerogative. I don't believe. Yet.

Last edited:
So some guy who had lived in the area all his life and lived 'in the woods' for a lot of that understood the local water table*...No sh*t sherlock.

* finding an aquifer or underground stream would be more impressive then something that is all around under ones feet, albeit at varying depths.

Why dowsing makes perfect sense | New Scientist some light reading giving one viewpoint of the headology behind it all.

Naturally, I would not expect someone from a tiny country to understand distances in Canada. The neighbour's ranch was 12 miles away, so its doubtful he could see from his cabin, where to dig to hit a spring.
Not a water table.
Go sump yourself.

Disabled Account
Joined 2017
Indeed. I was going to bring that up. Our brains are pretty impressive in how they fill in blanks (sometime those letters and numbers are just noise and sometimes they aren't - our brains seem pretty good at figuring that out). That said, I'm not convinced that ANY of these snake oil devices discussed so far can actually do what the brain does in terms of filtering out what is noise and what isn't noise in audio playback. (other than, of course, those low level radio communications). I understand some here will disagree, and that's your prerogative. I don't believe. Yet.

I'm not convinced that the human brain can perceive a noiseless audio system to be natural. There needs to be a certain level of noise because if you don't have an imperfect audio system the human brain will begin to think that it is unnatural.

Think about it for a second, if you are in a bar with terrible acoustics and someones mobile phone goes off, there is car noise outside, the bartender is clanging together some mugs while cleaning up, people are talking. That is a perfectly natural soundstage.

Now try and record all of those sounds equally with the perfect microphone placements. It would be impossible. So you do the best that you can and plug into the amplifier on the stage or on a microphone standing next to the stage.

The microphone isn't in the same place that you would be sitting if you were actually in the room. AND If you remove all of those distractions you are going to end up listening to only a amplifier and the band, without the ambience and atmosphere of the room and the surroundings that are around you.

Even the table that you are sitting in front of in this hypothetical bar and the wall behind or beside you affects the acoustics of the room in some fashion by blocking or reflecting the soundwaves.

As I've said, I'm not convinced that a completely noiseless audio system will produce good audio, or an enjoyable experience.

This is why live soundtracks sound better, nobody here lives inside of a recording studio but most people have at least gone to a stadium, everybody has either a bedroom or a living room, neither of which are a recording studio with sound absorbing tiles on the walls. You then add a noiseless audio system to that environment with material that was mastered in a studio and you get other things affecting the image like miniscule changes in the type of capacitor or the fabric that your loudspeakers are made from affecting the audio, or the dac itself.

That may be the reason why/behind analog audio sounding so warm and lifelike compared to digital audio which has a much lower noise floor. The higher the noise floor of a source means that you can effectively mask out the imperfections in the dac.

Its not just the transport material causing a 'fake' sound. Its also the sound studio. None of us know what a sound studio sounds like, so therefore our brains think that it sounds un natural. No reflections = does not compute according to our brains. Thats because to our brains it IS un natural, our brains are filtering out noise from our environments all of the time. But once you add a low noise floor stereo system and studio mastered source into the mix your brain thinks its unnatural sounding.

You can test yourself with this theory by watching a movie where the audio was recorded on location and not dubbed over in a studio later on. BY RIGHTS the only audio which should sound natural at all would be live recordings, because to our brains a studio isn't our everyday location.

And that COULD be the reason behind why SOME of these snake oil devices work, IF they do work. By adding noise to an audio system, NOT removing it, but adding it back in.

Just look at a bybee box device, its huge copper plates which are supposed to be grounded, but they are floating? (citation needed). So therefore they are prone to picking up noise from the surrounding area and adding it back into the audio system.

Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2017
Just look at a bybee box device, its huge copper plates which are supposed to be grounded, but they are floating? (citation needed). So therefore they are prone to picking up noise from the surrounding area and adding it back into the audio system.

So you could simulate a bybee box by simply adding a zener diode into your system. Or possibly a large copper plate suspended in mid air.

Attached Picture borrowed from here: Funniest snake oil theories

Attachments

• 9B691EFD-E883-49B0-9EF5-D56CBE095C7C.JPG
    9B691EFD-E883-49B0-9EF5-D56CBE095C7C.JPG
    463.8 KB · Views: 222
Last edited:
I'm a Amateur radio operator and I can listen to a signal and
it can drop into the noise and I can follow it down to barely
perceivable and still make out what they were saying (though with
effort and close listening) because my mind is filling in the gaps.

That's called phonemic restoration. It's a well documented effect.

Tom

Joined 2014
Paid Member
Naturally, I would not expect someone from a tiny country to understand distances in Canada. The neighbour's ranch was 12 miles away, so its doubtful he could see from his cabin, where to dig to hit a spring.
Not a water table.
Go sump yourself.

The key part was his career, not the location of his house. And you have now changed the story to say he hit a spring. You also claim there is no water table in that part of Canada, just springs? Taking differences in language into account I say water table you say aquifer. Fact remains that you are so desperate to believe this guy has magic powers that you won't look at other options, like 40 years logging in the area gave him local knowledge!

The key part was his career, not the location of his house. And you have now changed the story to say he hit a spring. You also claim there is no water table in that part of Canada, just springs? Taking differences in language into account I say water table you say aquifer. Fact remains that you are so desperate to believe this guy has magic powers that you won't look at other options, like 40 years logging in the area gave him local knowledge!

This was private property, he didn't log on it.
If it was a water table, as you say, why didn't one of the holes ten feet , and 15 feet deeper, hit it?

I'm not desperate to believe. I already saw the results.

You seem desperate to prove something you don't understand, does not exist.

You, by the way, are assigning magical powers to him, by asserting that since he logged within 12 miles of our new cabin, he would just know where to dig a well and find water.

......I'm not desperate to believe. I already saw the results.

You seem desperate to prove something you don't understand, does not exist.
We all have the standard five senses.
We also have extra senses, the problem is that we are told in day one of school that we have only five.
Dowsing is understanding and practicing the extra skills, just like audio professionals enhancing their auditory sensing.
Ever notice that the steel of your grandfathers pliers feels different to the steel of modern pliers ?....that's one form of dowsing called hand dowsing.
Ever notice that you feel comfortable/energised or sleep well in one spot but feel anxious/drained or sleep badly in a different place ?...that's 'earth energies' or different spectrums radiated according to underground mineralisations exciting those elements in the body.
Dowsing is just using the extra senses.

Dan.

People finding water springs due to mistery powers? Earth energies that make you feel anxious? Quantum noise purifiers? Come on! Are we all crazy????? Why are you losing your time with this bs??? It's like religion, you are never going to convince the believer. So let's go doing something more useful.

Status
Not open for further replies.