Funniest snake oil theories

Status
Not open for further replies.
Perhaps it would help us determine value for money if someone could estimate the likely "lifetime" of a piece of aluminium with some letters etched or milled into it. Does it depend on temperature or humidity? I guess it depends on exactly which alloy they used, or pure aluminium? Would the lifetime of an aluminium saucepan be a useful guide? Could I DIY one of these items by cutting up an old saucepan?

...Unless of course it is a bi-directional one hand clap, using the fifth dimension bypass.

As it happens, your speculation above about the operation of this device is absolutely spot-on. Unfortunately, the sonic benefits do come with some side effects. For example, I had to return mine for a refund after discovering that whenever I tried to listen to "Stone Soul Picnic" by the Fifth Dimension, I was presented instead with "What Condition My Condition Was In" by the First Edition. That's just weird, man.

Having just been to the LA Audio Show two weeks ago, I can say that the secret to nearly all new fangled gadgets is that they operate at the "quantum" level. I heard this term repeatedly. It perfectly explains why most measurement techniques can't be applied. It also makes me angry that they are using all these resources at CERN's Large Hadron SuperCollider on god-particles and such when they could be applying it to understanding all these new audio widgets.

Oh, I don't. I figured you liked and subscribed to the ethic of the quote and some of his philosophy. You don't seem the type to buy in wholesale into any one person or thread of philosophy anyhow, rather taking parts​ you find useful.

Sorta like I'm a fan of exceptionalists/transcendentalists​ like Nietzsche and Thoreau (who borrow heavily from Aristotle) but find them all a bit insufferable in their respective ways.

Having just been to the LA Audio Show two weeks ago, I can say that the secret to nearly all new fangled gadgets is that they operate at the "quantum" level. I heard this term repeatedly. It perfectly explains why most measurement techniques can't be applied.

Yes, that explains a lot! In quantum mechanics, just performing a measurement can alter the behavior of what you're measuring. Measure an audio gizmo, and simply doing the measurement makes it not show any better than not using that gizmo. The quantum measurement effect works on people, too - do a controlled listening test, and the controls make the test almost always give a null result.

Status
Not open for further replies.