Funniest snake oil theories

Status
Not open for further replies.
The main difference between humans, bonobos and chimps is the way mating is organised.

Bonobos have a matriarchal society based on peace and sex, chimps have a patriarchal society based on war and violence and we have a society based on long-term pair and family/tribal bonding and can go either way at any time.
In our case physical and psychological evolution started to lag behind societal and technical evolution when we started agriculture.

Ultimately, the value of an education is determined by who is doing the 'valuing'. IME, education is valued least by those who are the most obstinately ignorant and afraid, the most by those who seek to understand and use their knowledge for the common good. As one who earned a degree later in life.
Yes,
what he said!

Attachments

• when-you-are-dead-1.jpg
    when-you-are-dead-1.jpg
    120.4 KB · Views: 181
Joined 2014
Paid Member
The main difference between humans, bonobos and chimps is the way mating is organised.

Bonobos have a matriarchal society based on peace and sex, chimps have a patriarchal society based on war and violence and we have a society based on long-term pair and family/tribal bonding and can go either way at any time.
In our case physical and psychological evolution started to lag behind societal and technical evolution when we started agriculture.

The anthropological studies on sperm competition in humans are both fascinating and scary. we are closer to chimps than other primates purely from a testicle perspective!

Personally i think human development slowed down from the moment someone started kicking various shaped balls between two sticks. :)

And yet... here is the kicker for the Baltimore Ravens.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=93s9pHGUpjY

Fair point Sy my remark was intended to be humorous and was just a generalisation about the fanaticism that revolves around ball games at times the desire to watch "the game" taking priority over other things and i don't think you guys have the violence with football/soccer associated with the sport as we do in the UK .

Fair point Sy my remark was intended to be humorous

So was mine.

...the fanaticism that revolves around ball games at times the desire to watch "the game" taking priority over other things and i don't think you guys have the violence with football/soccer associated with the sport as we do in the UK .

We don't have much soccer violence because soccer is at best a third tier sport in the US. Real football does draw fanatics, but we tend to be a bit more civilized than Europeans in that regard, preferring to keep most of the violence on the playing field. I will confess that my wife and I love football and, when in season, dedicate our Sundays to the game.

...education is valued...the most by those who seek to understand and use their knowledge for the common good.
I just finished watching a (Netflix) documentary about Dean Kamen, the guy most people associate with the Segway two-wheeled transporter. Mr. Zenith's words couldn't be more accurate when it comes to Kamen.

The Segway, it turns out, is quite atypical of Kamen's inventions. Almost everything else that he's invented has been "for the common good" - devices that dispense just the right tiny amount of medication to children with cancer, wheelchairs that can climb staircases for people with physical disabilities, at-home dialysis machines for people with ailing kidneys, and a water purification machine that he hopes will stop the tragic deaths of literally millions of people each year who die from drinking contaminated water. Somehow he also found time to start FIRST ( Home | FIRST ), which has taught tens of thousands of students about engineering, disguised as having ridiculous amounts of fun building their own robots.

Kamen is largely unknown to the public, unlike snake-oil purveyor Bill Gates, who made his first substantial amounts of money as the licensed middleman hawking Tim Paterson's PC operating system to IBM.

Paterson called his operating system "Quick and Dirty Operating System" (QDOS) - an honest man with an honest product, knocked together quickly to help him sell his "real" product, an early PC using an Intel microprocessor.

Gates changed the word "Dirty" to "Disc", added an "MS" in front, and hawked the product as something it never was - a polished, general-purpose operating system for home computers.

And after licensing Paterson's work made Gates rich, Gates later rewarded Paterson by filing a lawsuit to prevent a financially struggling Paterson from selling his own operating system to a third party.

Gates, it should be added, had the right parents, was in the right place at the right time, attended (and flunked out of) an Ivy-league school (Harvard) - and is/was almost certainly a psychopath / megalomaniac / narcissist.

And the engineers who designed the microprocessors that Gates sold operating systems for? Nobody knows who those guys were. After all, they never became multi-billionaires, so why pay any attention to those poor losers? :rolleyes:

To end on a more positive note, I heartily recommend the documentary on Dean Kamen. It's quite an interesting and thought-provoking film to watch.

-Gnobuddy

Researc and Developement?

As i'm sure most would agree that there is a limit to the performance that can be achieved regardless of cost.
Yet much "high end" is priced far above the actual cost of production even taking research and development etc into account.Leaving aside the few individuals that do genuinely believe that a cable costing 100 k plus sounds superior to one costing £100 i guess the market is geared towards those to whom money is no object and products like this are a just a visual indication of their wealth purchased to impress each other.

I would be amazed if some of the hi=end companies, the ones that sell garden hose size speaker and power cables and power cleaning systems, actually have R&D departments.

It seems most of the really good amplifier, preamp and source component manufacurers don't have an R&D division. It seems most have one guy who really knew/knows what he's doing. Think Mccormack, Belles, Odessey and maybe a dozen others.

Joined 2014
Paid Member
And the engineers who designed the microprocessors that Gates sold operating systems for? Nobody knows who those guys were. After all, they never became multi-billionaires, so why pay any attention to those poor losers? :rolleyes:

I suspect a lot of them did very well out of their intel stock. Certainly Stephen Morse who was the lead architect for the 8086 seems to have had a good life.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Federico_Faggin seems to have done ok as well.

Just because YOU don't know who they are doesn't mean others don't.

I just finished watching a (Netflix) documentary about Dean Kamen, the guy most people associate with the Segway two-wheeled transporter. Mr. Zenith's words couldn't be more accurate when it comes to Kamen.

The Segway, it turns out, is quite atypical of Kamen's inventions. Almost everything else that he's invented has been "for the common good" - devices that dispense just the right tiny amount of medication to children with cancer, wheelchairs that can climb staircases for people with physical disabilities, at-home dialysis machines for people with ailing kidneys, and a water purification machine that he hopes will stop the tragic deaths of literally millions of people each year who die from drinking contaminated water. Somehow he also found time to start FIRST ( Home | FIRST ), which has taught tens of thousands of students about engineering, disguised as having ridiculous amounts of fun building their own robots.

Kamen is largely unknown to the public, unlike snake-oil purveyor Bill Gates, who made his first substantial amounts of money as the licensed middleman hawking Tim Paterson's PC operating system to IBM.

Paterson called his operating system "Quick and Dirty Operating System" (QDOS) - an honest man with an honest product, knocked together quickly to help him sell his "real" product, an early PC using an Intel microprocessor.

Gates changed the word "Dirty" to "Disc", added an "MS" in front, and hawked the product as something it never was - a polished, general-purpose operating system for home computers.

And after licensing Paterson's work made Gates rich, Gates later rewarded Paterson by filing a lawsuit to prevent a financially struggling Paterson from selling his own operating system to a third party.

Gates, it should be added, had the right parents, was in the right place at the right time, attended (and flunked out of) an Ivy-league school (Harvard) - and is/was almost certainly a psychopath / megalomaniac / narcissist.

To end on a more positive note, I heartily recommend the documentary on Dean Kamen. It's quite an interesting and thought-provoking film to watch.

-Gnobuddy

About Bill Gates...Many years ago I was talking to a coworker about Mr. Gates exploits, how he basically screwed the guy who actually wrote the original DOS. He got so agitated I feared he was going to punch me. He thought Bill Gates was the most brilliant human ever, maybe even close to God or something. Urban legend is nearly indestructible, especially when it's constantly propped-up by a compliant MSM.
Needless to say, we pretty much avoided each other after that.

Mike

About Bill Gates...Many years ago I was talking to a coworker about Mr. Gates exploits, how he basically screwed the guy who actually wrote the original DOS. He got so agitated I feared he was going to punch me. He thought Bill Gates was the most brilliant human ever, maybe even close to God or something. Urban legend is nearly indestructible, especially when it's constantly propped-up by a compliant MSM.
Needless to say, we pretty much avoided each other after that.

Mike

Obviously your coworker isn't a Frank Zappa fan...

Attachments

• 494325d1437262588-worlds-best-midrange-blind-testing-need-your-help-jbist5d.jpg
    494325d1437262588-worlds-best-midrange-blind-testing-need-your-help-jbist5d.jpg
    121.1 KB · Views: 159
$125,000 cables. That’s some snake oil. But if you’re the Sultan of Brunei, you already have a gold plated Buggatti and probably a good sized harem so whats the big deal.

The biggest improvement, with all three of my systems , was moving the speakers well into the room. In one room, which is 14’W X 18’D X 8.5’H, they are 4 3/4 feet away from the back wall and 3 ¾’ feet away from the side walls. This is way beyond the normal WAF but, fortunately, my wife was a musician and appreciates the improvement. One other room is 16’W X 26’D X 9.5’H and the other is 10’W X 15’D X 8.5 ‘H. Speakers are also well into the rooms and the same magic happens.

If I were the Sultan of Brunei I’d have my eunuchs move the speakers, but darn’t I’m using them in a life size game off chess right now. Oh., the decisions…

Oh, and the magic of moving the speakers is the soundstage and the fact the speakers seem to disappear. That is the eye is not drawn to the speakers and they are not small but fairly large floorstanders.

I find it very hard to believe Mpingos are magic or garden hose size cables, cone points, made from everything from a to z, under anything change the sound. I tried by-wiring about 20 years ago and think its BS.

Status
Not open for further replies.