Funniest snake oil theories

Status
Not open for further replies.
Joined 2007
Paid Member
Now that Intel/Microsoft PCs are everywhere and can do (almost) anything, it may come as a shock to our younger viewers that:
1. Personal computers were not invented by Intel/Microsoft - other architectures preceded theirs; the Intel/Microsoft model succeeded because of the marketing might of IBM.
2. PCs arrived quite late in the history of computing, and in some ways were a huge step backwards from which we have still not fully recovered.
3. Computers were widely used for decades before PCs, including high quality graphics.
4. The Internet existed before PCs and for many years PCs were completely useless at networking. Proper computers far exceeded the capability of PCs.
5. Other electronic systems were used very successfuly to do jobs which nowadays we do on a PC.
6. During this era we did not all live in caves and grunt - instead we put men on the moon, discovered quantum mechanics, invented radio, the LP, negative feedback etc.

Dude, now are you going to tell me that Van Halen had another lead singer besides Sammy Hagar???? :D

I laugh because I work in the software industry (internet related) and you can imagine the amount of rolleyes here when we discuss where this is all headed. Most of us with kids really reduce their amount of computer time unless done productively and creatively.

Attitudes such as you express here are a major reason that MP3 and even 64 Kbit/second/channel digital audio are commonly thought of as being all but professional grade today, why 2 db dynamic range recordings are so common, and why consumer audio has not progressed past CD except for *video* applications. You can't escape that regardless of your digital apologies.
I don't apologise for digital, don't need to, WAV or FLAC of my music server sounds OK to me, even through an unadulterated Squeezebox, but then again so does my record collection through my valve amps. As to the rest I don't understand what you are accusing me of, how can my views be the cause of MP3 tracks being hailed as perfect audio!
As to PCs I have been using PCB CAD since 1985, on workstations and PC's. On the industrial control side there was VME and G64 busses amongst others and real time operating systems such as OS9, and real time networks.

I've been making my living working on PC's designing digital and analog circuits since the early '80's, including high speed communications up to past the gigabyte speed (ethernet, WiFi). I am currently working developing VHDL code for a several megacell FPGA to be used in avionics. Don't see how any of that should cause me to paint rosy what if scenarios about how good Redbook digital audio 'could be' if everything was 'perfect'.

The Luddites are those with an attitude such as you express here where they are always apologizing for real world digital's deficiencies by cherry picking the very best of digital and pretending it is instead the average. Discussion of digital's "0.001% distortion" is a basic example of this.

Attitudes such as you express here are a major reason that MP3 and even 64 Kbit/second/channel digital audio are commonly thought of as being all but professional grade today, why 2 db dynamic range recordings are so common, and why consumer audio has not progressed past CD except for *video* applications - very ironic because 'traditionally', audio quality was supposed to 'not matter' in video. Yet 24 bit high sample rate multichannel digital audio not compressed down to near zero dynamic range is the norm for Blu-Ray discs. These manufacturers must not have been listening to Luddites.

i'm sorry, is this your own internal dialogue? or something you read? i'm confused; I thought we were on a DIYAUDIO forum in the twenty tweenies, discussing the technology of recent memory, from the perspective of those who can use it?

because if this is supposed to be relevant to readers, you might want to include some sort of hook, so that we can relate ... from here it reads like some sort of paranoid waking nightmare. you know, the type that sometimes persists for 30 seconds while you are still waking up, shaking off lucid dreams that incorporate snippets from the real world, before you go; hang on, yeah thats right... phew .. thank God

Last edited:
Joined 2007
Paid Member
thor -

You sound like one of our engineers who gets frustrated each time the CFO says he won't provide the funds for our latest greatest idea. We can do it sure....but for nearly free?!?

The masses love McDonald's. That's why I'm here...I'll build the best I can afford with 3 kids in school and one going off to college...average wasn't good enough and the hi-end too expensive and I knew it would be money foolishly spent (see earlier references in this thread).

....cherry picking the very best of digital and pretending it is instead the average. Discussion of digital's "0.001% distortion" is a basic example of this....

Ya, there is a naive faith in 'real industries' employing best practices universally just because they exist. Over 25 years of professional broadcast audio in top markets it's been a grinding uphill battle to prevent multiple lossy encodes, forget finicky details like 24-bit or dither. The latter is what the sales department does quarterly.

also, dont try to move the goalposts and pretend you were talking about the lack of proper application of functional technology. You denied nearly a whole 15-20 years even happened just before.

I had multitracking 24/96 capable Mac based DAW over 10 years ago now, initially bought used M-Audio kit, as a ~25 year old graphic designer and multimedia student; and i'm not from money. its been very accessible to those who cared, for a LONG time.

haha i'm lying about my age, nearly 14 years ago. basic mixing/panning/some EQ was realtime, effects had to be rendered and tracks 'frozen' which would render the effect to disk so it could be mixed.

Last edited:
This should be an alarm bell that you have something seriously wrong.

Is it?

1. It's an old 2nd hand CD player. Not top of the range either.
2. It is connected to the back of my computer via a cable, that I made myself, that may be picking up some noise from the back of my computer.
3. The computer was running a copy of Visual Analyser.
4. I am limited to the abilities of the analogue to digital convertor on the motherboard.
5. Changing various parameters on the Visual Analyser will alter the results.
6 Am I an expert on spectrum analysers and Visual Analyser? No
7. Do I know what Hanning, Blackman, Blackman opt, Bartlett, is? No
8. Do other people have better equipment and expertise than me? Yes
9. Do other people have lots of money they can throw at the problem? Yes

10. Did it reduce THD? Yes
11. Was it consistent? Yes

also, dont try to move the goalposts and pretend you were talking about the lack of proper application of functional technology. You denied nearly a whole 15-20 years even happened just before.

It was pretty ugly then, also.

IAC, How can anything you say make CD's less of a shortfall and disappointment, considering that even Home Theatre audio is vastly improved over the Redbook limitations?

If I were you, I wouldn't continue wasting time apologizing for the mess that 'perfect sound forever' apologists turned consumer digital audio into in the first place.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by DF96
Three options occur to me:
1. this is pure snake oil, although you may sincerely believe in it
2. this is just a spoof; you don't really expect us to believe it
3. you, like Einstein and other geniuses, have the ability to invent a whole new theory and then solve problems in it just by pure thought
Which is it?

I haven't invented any theory, and even if I had, it's merely a theory!

I thought scientists didn't venerate Gods, but maybe they make an exception for Einstein.

Status
Not open for further replies.