Funniest snake oil theories

Status
Not open for further replies.
You know guys, I too can laugh along with you about apparently 'phony' claims and additions to hi fi equipment. My opinion, however, is to keep an open mind, and not form a solid opinion without seriously trying it first. That is the difference between me and some of you.
Of course, the possibility of making a totally fake tweek and advertising it as revolutionary is possible, but it is not universal.
John you impress with how sanguine you are at level of personal attacks you receive from some many people. Some day I hope to achieve your level . Others here have farther to go than I.:)

IME reproduction of the musical event is what happens, always happens, if the playback system has a low enough count of weaknesses - it can't but help sound that way. If one wants to hear "conventional" sounding reproduction then just leave enough flaws in the setup, that automatically is the result one will get ...

Change the recording and you are off to another space, a different room, even a different time. It's like hopping around the world while seated in your arm chair. I love it.
I liked that answer overall, but I hope it could be agreed that "a different time" has nothing whatsoever to do with the reproduction quality.
Ditto "like hopping around the world," but I won't make any fuss about that one.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Yeah. But different times had different styles of acoustics, at least in recording studios, maybe night clubs. Tho I do admit, it would be hard to tell the decade from the acoustics alone. :)

As for hopping around the world, that's something you know before you hear it. A temple in Japan, a opera hall in Italy, the inside of the great pyramid, a thunderstorm on great plains. The fun comes from knowing where it is, and then hearing what it's like.

diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
Hi,

The fun comes from knowing where it is, and then hearing what it's like.

And fantasizing about it.
I enjoy that endlessly when you can hear the acoustics of the recording venue, thinking about how tall it would be, is it made of wood? Bricks? Is it hot?
On some records you can almost feel it, it's that real.

The salience between the notes isn't really silence, it's filled with acoustic clues. It's fun, it's travelling through time and space.

Cheers, ;)

Yeah. But different times had different styles of acoustics, at least in recording studios, maybe night clubs. Tho I do admit, it would be hard to tell the decade from the acoustics alone. :)
Yes, take a classic '50s crooner, with lush orchestral backing - you can "smell" the vaccuum tubes warming up the sound, it just oozes rich, smooth, comfortableness - like a massive Cadillac, with marshmallow springs ...

Why so? If the engineer did his job, you get the musical experience. If he created a compressed to hell recording, you don't. If your system turns an overly compressed recording into a work of musical art, it is an effects box.
In the latter case, no, it's not - the compression should not sound like distortion; frequently it does of course, but that's a failure of the playback system. Properly reproduced, that sound comes across as being extremely intense, "hot" is a good adjective - but not defective; it's like being in a high powered but refined vehicle which is going down the road while the transmission is 2 gears lower than it should be - you're aware of the engine going like crazy, with no real benefit, but it's not actually creating a real problem - you're just aware it's unnecessary.

In the latter case, no, it's not - the compression should not sound like distortion; frequently it does of course, but that's a failure of the playback system. Properly reproduced, that sound comes across as being extremely intense, "hot" is a good adjective - but not defective; it's like being in a high powered but refined vehicle which is going down the road while the transmission is 2 gears lower than it should be - you're aware of the engine going like crazy, with no real benefit, but it's not actually creating a real problem - you're just aware it's unnecessary.

Perhaps compression is the wrong word for turning up the volume and appying peak limiting, though it is a form of compression and quite distortive.

I think most compression is done with a soft knee, as per http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dynamic_range_compression; so it's not obvious peak limiting in most cases. It can be quite "cleverly" done, as in Adele 21 album: if you look at the waveform at any point it always looks quite reasonable, yet the impact of the sound, subjectively, is very overbearing.

If one can work out where the soft knee was put in, as a last stage after the final mix, then the compression can be effectively reversed - the "damage" can undone to a large degree ...

Status
Not open for further replies.