Funniest snake oil theories

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes like every large venue stage show with 100+m multicore audio cables (snake), and hundreds of dimmer controlled lighting fixtures.
Exactly which ones ?. Names, makes, models please.

Dan.

Name, Malcolm Toft. Must be Trident huh? We were at Namm around 10 years ago with the same vender. The console we were discussing (revered) had three initials, I can't remembet. Aaid he'd done several like it! Google away I'm not, it was a great conversation I learned a great deal, but most was way over my head. Good guy.

Sent from my PB99400 using Tapatalk 2

....regarding audio he is a moron.

"...the terminology which they actual ya invent... there's a whole slew of you know ... these fancy words they ever invented or you know try to use scientific sounding words to make these cables sound like they're manufactured by NASA and you know they're gonna vastly improve the performance of your system ... thinks like you know terminology like it'll improve you know the sharpness of the sound, the depth, the crispness..."

You might be too generous if sharpness and depth are mystical audiophool terms to him.

I guess you are right. I never looked at it that way, but I was speaking of the wires through the tonearm. Seems like I remember only 4 in a non metal shell head. I'm looking at my cheap Thorens and I don't see a drain either, plus the spacers included are nylon. Please no one get the idea I'm a "vinylist" (-: Not since clean converters and that has been a while. Flea markets = great 60s jazz on stacks of "black shellacs" that never made of to cd .(-:

Dan the above was for you regarding unbalanced consoles. Regarding long cables for venues, but certainly you are correct! We however, have little need of balanced cables in consumer audio, It is more than overkill to do a 10 ft line level run balanced.

Yes like every large venue stage show with 100+m multicore audio cables (snake), and hundreds of dimmer controlled lighting fixtures.
Exactly which ones ?. Names, makes, models please.

Dan.

To shield or not to shield...

For electric fields it's as simple as it seems: an electric field can't penetrate a closed conducting surface. This is known as Gauss's flux law; the closed conductive surface is a Faraday shield. For magnetic fields, the impinging field causes current to flow in any continuous conductor, the direction and magnitude of the current tending to generate an equal but opposite magnetic field that cancels the impinging field. The shield surface carries those currents.

Since a radio wave (say, from EMI in the environment) consists of a propagating electric field with a magnetic field at right angles to it (so-called Poynting vector), a shield has to shield both the electric and magnetic fields to be effective.

Electromagnetic shielding - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Uh... Was attempting to address stray magnetic field coming off my speaker wires possibly interfering with my interconnects. Cheapest idea I had was 18 gauge solid core copper tv cable with 95% copper braid shielding.
I had enough to do parallel runs using only the centre conductor in each.
Does this negate the shielding because I'm not using the shielding to conduct the negative signal?
Should add I can't hear a difference between this , some thick old monster cable, and some fancy gold plated solid core copper wire.
Not completely tin eared; I can reliably tell the differences in level matched playback of a few digital sources at hand.
Just wondering if I negated the intention of
my experiment by not doing a signal return along the shielding.

How are your experiences with balanced vs unbalanced phono preamps?
(I use this as an example of where the choice is not clear cut.)

That is a bit apples to oranges since of the two phono pres I have the unbalanced one is part of a Yamaha C6 while the balanced one is on its own.
But as they are I'd say the Yamaha is a bit clearer in the treble while the other one is quieter.

PS: The balanced one is was made for small radio stations which couldn't afford an EMT tt (those come with the phono pre built in) and was made by Surrey Electronics.

"...the terminology which they actual ya invent... there's a whole slew of you know ... these fancy words they ever invented or you know try to use scientific sounding words to make these cables sound like they're manufactured by NASA and you know they're gonna vastly improve the performance of your system ... thinks like you know terminology like it'll improve you know the sharpness of the sound, the depth, the crispness..."

You might be too generous if sharpness and depth are mystical audiophool terms to him.

Never heard a cable give "sharpness and depth" to any recording. Those are either built in or the speaker setup provides those. Next you'll be telling me that cables change the "soundstage"?

Uh... Was attempting to address stray magnetic field coming off my speaker wires possibly interfering with my interconnects. Cheapest idea I had was 18 gauge solid core copper tv cable with 95% copper braid shielding.
I had enough to do parallel runs using only the centre conductor in each.
Does this negate the shielding because I'm not using the shielding to conduct the negative signal?
Should add I can't hear a difference between this , some thick old monster cable, and some fancy gold plated solid core copper wire.
Not completely tin eared; I can reliably tell the differences in level matched playback of a few digital sources at hand.
Just wondering if I negated the intention of
my experiment by not doing a signal return along the shielding.

Certainly if the shield isn't connected, it won't shield anything. Also, if it's just connected at one end (say to ground), it will only shield against electric fields, not magnetic.

If you're trying to reduce the stray magnetic field from your speaker runs, using twisted pair is a good way. You can buy twisted pair, or just twist zip cord. A quick way to do that is clamp one end of the zip cord, and use an electric drill at the other end until you have a decent twist.

Last edited:
Next you'll be telling me that cables change the "soundstage"?

Cables change the visual aspect of the "soundstage". Musical enjoyment has everything to do with ambiance. It's part of human nature to judge an experience not on the basis of just one sensory input, but on the total mix.

Knowing this, we have to jump through hoops to exclude all visual diversions in order to make fair comparisons based on auditory clues only. But that is only in the research stage, or just for the heck of it.

When it comes to listening to music and actually enjoying it in your own room, the visual aspect comes back in full force. Big fat cables on blocks of merthle create for some the ambiance they need to fully enjoy the musical experience.

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Cables change the visual aspect of the "soundstage". Musical enjoyment has everything to do with ambiance. It's part of human nature to judge an experience not on the basis of just one sensory input, but on the total mix.

Knowing this, we have to jump through hoops to exclude all visual diversions in order to make fair comparisons based on auditory clues only. But that is only in the research stage, or just for the heck of it.

When it comes to listening to music and actually enjoying it in your own room, the visual aspect comes back in full force. Big fat cables on blocks of merthle create for some the ambiance they need to fully enjoy the musical experience.

You must have been reading my mind! :cool:

Jan

Status
Not open for further replies.