fullrange speakers and Pass labs amps

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Formerly "jh6you". R.I.P.
Joined 2006
Magura said:
As for the less bass impression, I see no reason for such to be real, . . .

As far as I understand, there would be the same extent of the bottom frequency even if with Aleph CS or constant CS. Nevertheless, if we get different responses in bass, one reason could be due to different amp’s damping factors, which are differently received by the speakers . . .

Babowana said:

As far as I understand, there would be the same extent of the bottom frequency even if with Aleph CS or constant CS. Nevertheless, if we get different responses in bass, one reason could be due to different amp’s damping factors, which are differently received by the speakers . . .

Possible. In any case, the difference in bass was subtle. Constant CS sounded more pleasant. Maybe it has something to do with the "shape" of the distortion curve, i.e. its linear increase vs. not-so-linear increase in case of Aleph CS. Perhaps it also explains why so many people still seem to prefer the "bare" Son of Zen, despite it having worse distortion figures than more advanced versions (with active CCS-es).

Regards,

Vix

boz + f1 + mini-onken

Hey fellas,

I a currently listening to Squeezebox + BOZ + F1 + Mini-Onkens (fostex fe-127). I am so happy with this setup I find it hard to leave my room.

I also have a pair of Omega Super 3R, same drivers as the mini's but seem to have less bass.

I have a 2nd setup which is Denon DP59 + Pass Pearl + ARC SP9 + mini-Alpeh + Fostex 167. This setup is also fun but not as engaging as boz + f1.

Anyway just my 2 cents...

Pathmark

Babowana said:

But AFAIK the Aleph CS and a CCS offers the same DF ?

Magura :)

The one and only
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Magura said:
But AFAIK the Aleph CS and a CCS offers the same DF ?

No, they don't. The Aleph CS makes the Common Source gain
transistor see twice the actual load impedance, and so raises
the open loop gain of the amplifier by 6 dB. Since the DF of this
circuit depends primarily on the amount of feedback, you will
see twice as much DF with the Aleph CS.

The damping factor is of course not the raison d'etre of the
Aleph CS. Set at 50%, it about doubles the efficiency of the
amplifier (so small thing) and reduces the distortion by about
16 dB.

Nelson Pass said:

No, they don't. The Aleph CS makes the Common Source gain
transistor see twice the actual load impedance, and so raises
the open loop gain of the amplifier by 6 dB. Since the DF of this
circuit depends primarily on the amount of feedback, you will
see twice as much DF with the Aleph CS.

The damping factor is of course not the raison d'etre of the
Aleph CS. Set at 50%, it about doubles the efficiency of the
amplifier (so small thing) and reduces the distortion by about
16 dB.

Thanks a lot :wiz:

This just might give the answer to why some of us have experienced the Aleph CS causing a negative difference in sound on our FR speakers.

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Magura said:

Hmm, sissies and serbs.....obviously :D

Magura :rofl:

seems that all of the sudden everyone is in FR wagon ....... and my teeth sharping all these yrs for FRs and macho Altec-likes is somewhat lined with that ........... :clown:

now just to sissies have luck with some 12" or 15" real spks .........

:devilr:

ya have some Tannoys in Danskeland to hear ?

take Steen with ya , and try spks for big boys ...... better than little car toys ;)

Zen Mod said:

seems that all of the sudden everyone is in FR wagon ....... and my teeth sharping all these yrs for FRs and macho Altec-likes is somewhat lined with that ........... :clown:

now just to sissies have luck with some 12" or 15" real spks .........

:devilr:

ya have some Tannoys in Danskeland to hear ?

take Steen with ya , and try spks for big boys ...... better than little car toys ;)

Well a small series of Abbey clones seems to have changed a few things in that aspect around here :cool:

Which Tannoy's are you thinking of?

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Magura said:

Well a small series of Abbey clones seems to have changed a few things in that aspect around here :cool:

Which Tannoy's are you thinking of?

any decent old school spk , from 10" upwards .

dunno - have you Philips in Danskeland ; they were pretty present in older days , here - in former YU .....

few Philips 12" with whizzer are certainly Zu Druid killers .........

besides that ( and my extensive FR and ER drivers collection) you know that I'm fan of Sonido drivers ....... and their 8" is really good start in that sort of exploration ,either in their Aion cab , or in Mau12, or in Hedlund cab .

let me know what's "findable" and I'll tell you what you can expect with that sort of speaks

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.