Fullrange Drivers From China!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
As it stands I haven't heard from China yet. They may be watching the Olympics! In any case, my friends from Hong Kong are coming over this weekend and we are going to make a telephone call Sunday night (Monday morning) to get the low down on the drivers. I'm hoping they have a low number so we can move forward.

Budmaestro, I'm not one of the "speaker guys" but I think that a small, closed, two way with the addition of a tweeter would put these on a bookshelf close to eye level to enjoy the look of the cone. Looking at the specks, (if I'm reading correct) then they have a pretty dramatic roll off in the high frequencies. I'd expect that since the heavier mass of the wooden cone would just be difficult to make move fast if you know what I mean. With that in mind, some kind of sealed enclosure? It looks like it has decent extension into the lower registers.

Again, perhaps some of the brighter guys can chime in and give us some good ideas for boxes for these very special looking drivers.

Thanks,
Spencer

I Don't Think So!

EmergencyDpt said:
I think I shot myself in the foot by asking what the minimum order is. I should of asked what the maximum order is. That would get their attention.

I've written to other OEMs about minimum orders accepted and I've found I usually get a polite & informative email with 7-10 days. Recently I wrote to Lyeco about thier LW1502KGR 15 in "flower power" woofers! Here's the reply I received the very next day from Lyeco!
=============================================
Dear Tom,

Thanks for your inquiry.

We’ve been running the business model of “B2B” and just accepting orders with minimum quantity.

It’s an offer to LW1502KGR with 4 ohms below:

FOB in USD $89.50/pc @ MOQ=50 pcs

Best Regards,

Edward Chang
==============================================
I think we'll get a replay in a few days. In the meantime I've found a speaker "kit" from Japan that uses a 4 in single full range wooden driver with a nice what appears to be copper or possibly brass phase plug. I've sent them a letter asking what the kit would cost shiped to Orlando, Fla. I also asked if the driver's were available separately. Of course I'll be delighted to post the reply from Japan when I get it.

Thetubeguy1954

Rational Subjectivism. It's An Aquired Taste.

4 Inch Wooden Driver Speakerkit From Japan

Talk about quick! Here's the response I just received from Elekit of Japan, in regards to their 4 in wooden single fullrange speakerkit. Apparently I made a mistake as it's plain to see the phase plug is not brass or copper! You can also check out thier speakerkit on their website here: http://www.elekit.co.jp/product/53502d57433031424b
With no futher ado here's Elekit's response....

Dear customer, Thank you for your inquiry for our product. SP-WC01BK is a speaker kit and assembly is required, though very simple.(If you need it assembled, we can do so with extra JPY2,000-.) The speaker kit and the packing material weighs approx.9kg, so shipping it by EMS to the united states costs JPY12,900-. SP-WC01BK: JPY42,800-Shipping cost by EMS: 12,900-Total: JPY55,700-(without assembly cost, that's $507.75 USD) The diameter of the wooden driver is 10cm in length, so that approx. 4 inches. As this item is basically released for the domestic market only, we only have Japanese assembly manual (though just 1 page).In addition, for the international orders, we cannot be liable for any damage after goods are shipped. Also, as for the payment, we accept credit card only. If the above conditions are OK, please fill in the attached order form and send it back to us via fax.We do not recommend sending credit card information via e-mail. If you have any further question, please let me know at any time. Best regards,

Emi Tamura
EK JAPAN CO.,LTD.
I noticed they didn't answer whether the drivers can be purchased separately nor not :bigeyes: oh well at least I tried...

Thetubeguy1954

Rational Subjectvism. It's An Acquired Taste.

They did? Where? I don't think they say whether or not you can buy the drivers separate. Unless by inference the answer is "no" since they only give you the price on the kit. In any case, $500 is very expensive (to me) for 2 one way bookshelf speakers in kit form. "Audiophile" doesn't always mean rich. Ha ha ha. I don't mind spending money (in fact I enjoy it) but as a DIY'er I like to ruin at least some material trying to do it myself first.

thetubeguy1954 said:

I looked around but couldn't locate what their minimum ordering quantity is.

from 'globalsources'

100 - 199, for this speaker

http://httpwwwglobalsourcesmguisoun...08820642893/pdtl/Hi-fi/1007474649/Speaker.htm

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Key Specifications/Special Features:

Drive unit: 4-inch
Impedance: 6 Ohms
Minimum frequency response: 84Hz
Frequency: 12kHz
Sensitivity (SPL): 85.032dB/W
Rated input: 10W
Music power: 15W
Net weight: 500g
Payment Details:

Payment Terms:

By T/T
Minimum Order:
100 to 199 Pieces

Delivery Details:

Lead Time:
25 - 45 days

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.