full ranger (highish SPL max) most “lifelike” sound?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
i previously havent gone looking for it, but i've heard very positive things about Mark Audio

(The link here wasn’t working for me, so I’ve just requested the translation of MJ Audio’s test of the Alpair 12)

frequency response tells just part of the story - but the published graph for the Alpair 12, while very hard to read, has quite a dip from 1 - 5 kHz. It looks to be at least 2 dB down from c 1500 - 3500 Hz

How does that translate into listening/ compare with any measurements folks have taken?

It may not be your cup of tea, but that dip you mention is nearly the same frequencies and magnitude as a "BBC dip."
On some speakers that actually will, according to many, give a nicer presentation.

Best Regards,
TerryO

Hi,

Hopefully its not too broad a question:

What full ranger, with capability on peaks (only when occasionally cranked up) of 100 - 105 dB from 4 metres, if used with a pair of subs crossed at up to 150 Hz would have the least fatiguing but most “lifelike” sound?

Sounds like you want a Supravox 8" Driver.

If you are okay with a 150Hz handover to a sub, a sealed or apperiodic box with 215RTF64 would likely do it. If your budget is bigger, Phy-Hp with supertweeter or Supravox Fieldcoil.

Or get a Pair of Goodmans Axiom 80 (Vintage) but they will need EQ.

I cannot recommend Lowthers (unless used in fronthorn), or the Fostex Dual Cone drivers and their cheap chinese copies.

The Visaton cannot go loud enough.

If you can let off maximum SPL and accept a Supertweeter the Omnes L8 "Modern Saba" with excellent performance and modest cost.

The Beyma 8AG/N and Ciare CH250 are two other "extreme budget" options which perform well with some EQ.

Ciao T

Hi Thorsten
Good to see you around
The 215RTF64 should be very good, I’m checking the price, but I think is outside current budget . .

Hadn’t heard of the Omnes L8. So searched a bit on it.
Strassacker: Lautsprecher - Boxen - Selbstbau has specs, but no price (I’m checking if they are still available)
Xmax is not given (I just enquired of the maker), but I would think is lowish
Qts of 1.0 is very good for OB, which I might well do.

The quoted sensitivity is 96 dB, but Unibox calculates it at 92 dB . .
If youve have heard them, can you elaborate at all on the sonics please

Cheers

Hi,

The 215RTF64 should be very good, I’m checking the price, but I think is outside current budget . .

Okay, last time I looked it was not that bad.

Hadn’t heard of the Omnes L8. So searched a bit on it.
If youve have heard them, can you elaborate at all on the sonics please

Hobby HiFi tested the driver and liked it, as well as the Saba. I heard the Saba's and like them, HH said the Omnes L8 is closest sonically. I did not hear the L8 myself, sorry.

Ciao T

Otto,

factory specs - bleargh.

**** Xmax - a driver pumping like mad makes wind not bass...back to the table saw, build a suited cabinet.

**** SPL ratings too. Ask Thorsten about DIN norm 45500ff, I don´t have the numbers off the cuff - but I seem to recall they quote what the bass driver does at 400Hz, which is a fair amount of stupidity.

Greets,
Pit

Hi,

I missed this:

I can access a pair of "nos" 12 inch Goodmans Axiom 201. c 96 - 97 dB (If you know them?), paired with a HE tweeter to deal with beaming, how might they fair, esp against the B200?

Run, DO NOT WALK and snag them if the price is sensible.

You may remember my "Afterburner" project? This was basically in the original a biggish box with a Goodmans Axiom 201 and a Visaton TL16H on the top.

The B200 does not compare on any level, except at the top end, where the super tweeter is needed but then again manages to outdo the cone driver.

Ciao T

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member

And measure even less. I was not all that impressed with the set i had here. OK, but what they would cost imported into North America...

Not up to a phase plugged B200 IMHO -- with phase plugs the need for a helper tweeter becomes way more optional.

dave

Much to think about . . Snuggling with gals, swapping . . .

I might see how the Axiom 201s go, I know they aren't as good as the Axiom 80, but from what I gather, what is

But Im also considering trying the Alpair 10 Gen 2 when they come out
Though they do different things,
the best (available) of the old full rangers; the best of the new

Hi,

I might see how the Axiom 201s go, I know they aren't as good as the Axiom 80, but from what I gather, what is

The AX80's have some very unique qualities. They are somewhat blike Lowthers, but without the many "dealbreakers" Lowthers throw in the mix. Kind of more Lowther Magic than Lowthers and fewer problems.

They still have the 1KHz-10KHz substantially elevated though and so need EQ or a helper mid-woofer.

Ciao T

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.