Full Range Speaker Photo Gallery

OT - Is it just me, or does using a single cone material (even of very high quality) such as apparently depicted in the Sonodyne "Walsh" inspired full-range system seem counter to the original design brief of using three materials with considerably different densities and thicknesses?

IIRC it was titanium, aluminum and fairly thick pulped paper.

back to the regularly scheduled programme

Chris while at first glance your POV would seem a quite logical one to put forth, I believe another POV that's equally as valid is to propose the Walsh driver which Lincoln Walsh originally applied for a patent in 1964 and later received said patent in 1969, has under almost 50 years worth of technical advances in driver manufacture since it's original conception, been throughly examined and been found wanting "as-is".

I believe my alternate POV would seem to gain even further validity & credibilty when one looks to the much more recent version of the Walsh drivers Peter Dicks developed and later licensed to a medium sized German company called Mainhattan Acustik that was owned by Holger Mueller. This improved version of the Walsh driver is made completely from either a titanium or a carbon cone ---{which is similar to Sonodyne in that both companies use all one type of cone material}--- and they routinely receives accolades for the quality of their speaker's sonics under their new company name German Physiks!

Thetubeguy1954 (Tom Scata)

Dayton PS220 full range Singularity speakers peacefully coexisting with my HT setup.

Attachments

• 004.JPG
    004.JPG
    311.8 KB · Views: 2,300
Weekend Wonders

Just finished some little bookshelf bass reflex full rangers. I use the Tang Band W3-881SI 3" driver. The bass is surprisingly good for a 3in driver. Can't say I had high hopes. I'm planning to sell these if I can find a buyer.

.3 cubic feet, tuned to about 50 Hz, upholstered in vinyl. The port is down-firing because I didn't have a port cover, there is a FleXy like stand on the bottom holding up a base plate with about an inch gap from the bottom of the speaker itself.

Attachments

• DSC_0291.jpg
    DSC_0291.jpg
    193.4 KB · Views: 2,362
  • DSC_0294.jpg
    DSC_0294.jpg
    243.2 KB · Views: 2,270
Bass is tight, each instrument is "readable", good "attack". Perfect for everything besides trash-death etc. High presence effect and comfort, natural sound. Dynamics is good also.

If you like jazz - blues - soul, classics, aqustic instruments - that is the way to go.

Sorry I do not know all those termins in english, just translate what we often use in Ukraine to describe the sound.

Bass is tight, each instrument is "readable", good "attack". Perfect for everything besides trash-death etc. High presence effect and comfort, natural sound. Dynamics is good also.

If you like jazz - blues - soul, classics, aqustic instruments - that is the way to go.

Sorry I do not know all those termins in english, just translate what we often use in Ukraine to describe the sound.

Realy nice!!!
what driver are you using?
A special one or something I can buy somewhere?

dMarKen..... All dressed up.

Figure I owe it to Dave (Planet 10) since he allowed me the honor of building this pair as a test pair. Got to say they sound great, although they are intended more for small rooms on their own. Anyway here you go Dave, dMarKen in figured Sycamore accented with quartered cherry and waterfall bubinga, finished with hand rubbed tung oil, shellac and poly.... pictures don't do the figure justice. And Dave I will eventually do a report for you on these... ;)

Attachments

• dMarKenf.jpg
    dMarKenf.jpg
    228.1 KB · Views: 404
  • dMarKenf1.jpg
    dMarKenf1.jpg
    271.1 KB · Views: 399
  • dMarKengrill1.jpg
    dMarKengrill1.jpg
    202.7 KB · Views: 383
  • dMarKengrill.jpg
    dMarKengrill.jpg