Full Range Speaker Photo Gallery

Attachments

• double.jpg
    double.jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 10,773
pikkujöpö said:

Happy to hear that :)

P.S. This is a fullrange forum and photo gallery.

Nice job anyway,it's always interesting to see different speakers,thumbs up.

But..but..but... :bawling:

I've posted it here as i'm using a single 6x9 4-way driver per speaker, not separate units (woofer, mid and tweeter); Doesn't this make them full-range drivers? :angel:

Boas Festas!

A intenção conta, sem dúvida....
Let's write in english, otherwise we might be in trouble because
of other guys, they also need to know what's going on.

A full range speaker, or driver, is understood to be a device
supposed to reproduce a wide range of frequencies (sometimes
very limited range, of course) and limited is indeed the reason
they cover the entire spectrum with specialized drivers. Up to
here I'm sure I'm not giving you any news...

But when we talk car speakers and due to the space limitations
the 2 way, 3 way and four way speakers are considered just
that, the same way we talk about 2, 3 and whatever ways the
home speakers in a box or some other kind of enclosure.
For all intents and purposes, a four way is not considered a
full range even though the components are together in a frame,
in this case the frame of a woofer.

Now, let me tell you a portuguese saying:
Tanto faz dar na cabeça como na cabeça lhe dar.....

Cheers, um abraço.

My contribution. One pair of zHorns Herukas. Equipped with fostex 168ez Sigmas and made out of Lauan or Meranti plywood. Outsides in 19mm and insides in 12mm. The viods are filled with polyurethanefoam. Staind in dark mahogny and then coated in some regular coating. Nothing fancy. I did however notice that glue and polyurethanefoam tend to screw up the stainingprocedure...

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

ONKEN

Hey all,

It took a little longer than I thought to get another enclosure built for the Lyeco LY802F drivers.

With math from Thorsten at Die Boxen Baustelle in Germany, I whipped up some ONKEN type enclosures for the drivers just before Christmas. I used 22mm inexpensive plywood, just to see how it would perform. Well, unfortunatly I promised to give them to a friend who does the enclosure sheets for us. They really sound marvelous.... now I have to build another set for myself. The lower frequencies are better defined and rounder than TQWT enclosures I had them in before (and I thought those sounded nice.... see page of this thread).

Attached is pic and design sheet. They are not really small..... like 36" tall and 17" wide and deep. I hope to have the web page up with full metric dimensions (right now the ones you see are metric converted to standard....don't ask, but it does explain a couple wacky legths!) by April.

How many of you have ever heard Beethovens Wellingtons Victory? It is my new test for low end in speakers....... short and fun little peice.

We hope to get the back loaded horn built sometime late spring. It will be large/involved project.... not condusive to alot of garage time in Buffalo, NY in the winter!

Hopefully Wolfgang from spectrumaudio.de or Chuck (Palmbayaudio.com) will have something to say about the proto 4" drivers, they are about to play with, in not too long.

Attachments

• dscf0303a.jpg
    dscf0303a.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 7,686
Joined 2002
Paid Member
"Stoned"

Hi all
Jordan JX92S in QWML box with internal dimensions 225X225X955 mm made out of 15mm thick plywood, internally braced.
All panels loaded with stones, hence the name “stoned”. Fiberglass staffing.
Speaker is firing upwards against a cone diffuser.
Mass loading through a 10mm dia PVC duct. Duct is external, 90 d. angled, 210mm long, with a “Karlson” end opening 350mm long (total length 560mm). Box weights ~ 25kg. Diffuser~15kg
See next
George

Attachments

• 1a.jpg
    1a.jpg
    28.2 KB · Views: 10,401
Joined 2002
Paid Member
(continued)
Intended for listening to classic music, design was bounded by the following requirement:
Speakers to be located in the living room, at two specific room corners (limited foot-print, optically shy, as much non-directional as possible).
See next
George

Attachments

• 1b.jpg
    1b.jpg
    71.6 KB · Views: 11,028
Joined 2002
Paid Member
(continued)
It has ended up sounding balanced, no boxiness at all, bodied, non fatiquing and pleasantly heard from other rooms of the house (two floored). Family-wife and two daughters-fell in love with them (i.e. they tend to use them as well).
See next
George

Attachments

• 1c.jpg
    1c.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 10,439
Joined 2002
Paid Member
(continued)
Nyquist Plot from above Speakerworkshop Impedance curve data (32000 points) btn. 10Hz and 1500Hz. Only the two main peaks produce resonance circles. The irregularities shown at the Impedance curve at 150, 200 and 1300Hz do not form a circle here, proof they are not due to any resonance.
Regards
George

Attachments

• nyquist plot high resolution data.jpg
    nyquist plot high resolution data.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 8,769
gpapag said:
(continued)
Intended for listening to classic music, design was bounded by the following requirement:
Speakers to be located in the living room, at two specific room corners (limited foot-print, optically shy, as much non-directional as possible).
See next
George

That's the way to go. If you round of the tops of the cones, you will eliminate diffraction significantly.

Interesting project George. Those big cones make the speakers look almost like a piece of art. And they are definitely NOT "optically shy".;)

The only fully documented omnidirectional development for ther JX92 S I know of recommends 90° cones placed as low above the dustcap as mechanically advisable. How did you arrive at those peakish cones? And what kind of filter values did you find to be best?

Thanks
Rudolf

Here´s a pic of a pair of flosed boxes for FE167E that I´m working on.
I bought the drivers to build a biamped system with open baffles down to about 250Hz and SS8545´s in closed boxes below that.

Though, things didn´t go the way I wanted and I grew tired of the whole thing so I started this project instead.

Attachments

• fe167e2.jpg
    fe167e2.jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 7,151