Full Range Speaker Photo Gallery

A picture

Attachments

• 22.jpg
    22.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 6,332
my little contribution

Hi, long time no see :)

My old full-range project... Clabby aka Abby Clone.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

I am now working on a new project with the FE208E... (ML-TL)

By the way, anybody know the type of speaker in this old Altec Lansing Seven? I need to change the surround :p

Attachments

• altec.jpg
    altec.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 3,925
Re: Re: My BIB's

badman said:

Do I spy with my little eye a pair of MCM 55-1200?

Great little drivers :D

Have a pair with a peerless HDS tweeter in supertweet config (10k XO, no coil on woofie) in a vented box, plays music real good.... not using any baffle step, but haven't worked the XO much.

Well, here are my first BIB's. I have gone a bit of a different route on these. Due to terrible room acoustics and the fact that these may migrate to the theater room, I have added a tweeter. The driver is a Pioneer A11EC80-02F 4.5". I got these for a good deal and wanted to use them. I also had a pair of Dayton DC28FS-8 1 1/8" silk dome tweeters laying around. I coated the pioneer with 2 coats of Damar. This tamed it's wild HF and improved their looks. I used the Fostex 126/127e model for the BIB since the 126 was the closest match to the driver used. The wood is 3/4 birch laminate ply. The front baffle is made from some leftover pine 1x12's I had laying around. So far, I am very impressed and satisfied with their sound. They have overcome the room acoustics, and fill it with clear sound. I have not noticed them lacking, or having too much thar a little EQ tweaking can not take care of. I do say this after a few tweaks on the tweeter x-over. I realize this setup somewhat defeats a full range BIB, but, for the mild cost of $125 that was spent on the pair, I think I will keep them.

Here is my first attempt at loudspeaker building, I've used the CSS FR125s in a solid 25mm thick Iroko hardwood box, ported with a solid machined alu port.
I'am sure natural wood has a better sound than mdf.
These have replaced a pair of Dynaudio Contour 1.1s, in my opinion the midrange is in different league, do crossovers effect the sound that much?

Attachments

• test.jpg
    test.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 5,097
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
When it 1st came out, i did a speculative design for a small aperiodically loaded FR125. Here is a realization -- 4.5 liter aperiodically loaded CSS FR125S.

They work very well. The picures don't convey the color very well. The cherry veneer is probably closest to the picture from the front than the other 3.

dave

Attachments

• 4l-aperiodic-fr125.jpg
    4l-aperiodic-fr125.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 5,321
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
The slope on the rear makes the 2 most critical opposite surfaces quite non-parallel (parallel walls in a box this small could have some nasty consequences). The steep angle also gives a place to put the foam damping that makes the joles aperiodic (we struggled with a way of doing the ports easily and ended up lifting this configuaration from Bill Perkins PR-2s)

There are 20 - 1/4" holes

dave

Dave, your design is also a great way of testing/comparing smaller w-range and mid-range drivers. In a multi-way system, possibly the best midrange enclosure going. We tried an internal panel to steer the reflected waves toward the lower corner. It was a waste of timber. The 60 deg seems optimum.

We found you could listen to the driver without any "box" additions to the sound.

And very high WAF.

Regards,
Geoff.

Hi Dave,

planet10 said:
When it 1st came out, i did a speculative design for a small aperiodically loaded FR125. Here is a realization -- 4.5 liter aperiodically loaded CSS FR125S.

They work very well. The picures don't convey the color very well. The cherry veneer is probably closest to the picture from the front than the other 3.

dave

Nice! :)

What's your opinion of those for a MM or monitor pair?

Cheers!