Full Range Speaker Photo Gallery

vinylkid58 said:
Congratulations Pete, your Fonkens look great.
You really need to break in those FE127's, don't be afraid to drive them fairly hard for at least 100 hrs.
Also try using a single pair of CAT5 wires per speaker. That should give you a bit more bass.

Jeff

I probably have 20+ hours on the speakers now. Each speaker is internally wired with twisted pairs of CAT5 and my BSC breadboard is outside of the box until I decide if I really want to use it.

The speakers sound wonderful without the BSC, when listening to simple acoustic music. Female vocals are especially outstanding. With more complex music the midrange still seems overpowering to me.

In any case, I am very happy with the speakers and enjoying listening and tweaking.

pete

My whole fonken family

I guess I better send out photo of my fonken family. This is a shot I took last week in the shop. I have done some driver mods and have the fonkens hooked in the living room right now. The Bifonkens will be set up later. The intent is to also make a pair of fonken subs with Extremis drivers.
Right now I am driving theFonkens with a Mini A and am very happy with the sound. I use a sub crossed over at 80 htz and things sound real good to me.

Enjoy

Attachments

• fonken family.jpg
    fonken family.jpg
    74.7 KB · Views: 6,302
widman said:

I probably have 20+ hours on the speakers now. Each speaker is internally wired with twisted pairs of CAT5 and my BSC breadboard is outside of the box until I decide if I really want to use it.

The speakers sound wonderful without the BSC, when listening to simple acoustic music. Female vocals are especially outstanding. With more complex music the midrange still seems overpowering to me.

In any case, I am very happy with the speakers and enjoying listening and tweaking.

pete

Pete - go ahead with the cone treatment and give the drivers another 100 or so hours, and also play around with proximity to side/rear walls before deciding about the BSC.

In a small room with the speakers close to a side wall, you might need some absorbtive / diffractive treatment to deal with early reflections that could exaggerate the midrange balance and obfuscate* the clarity of imaging and soundstage/ depth.
One end of my little listening room is only a few inches over 8ft wide - the Fonkens and Frugelhorns "just fit", but there are issues with Ron's A126 with the supra baffles and full rear deflectors.

* thanks to Tom & Ray for the word

Off topic Fonken sub

Interesting Jeff:

Maybe a 2 inch diameter vent can be presented as a slot port equivalent? So that I can maintain the look. Dave and I were talking about an aperiodic design last week.I am not really hung up on the onken design it is more the presentation I am trying to be consistent with.

Thanks for the thoughts

Stands

Hello Ropie:
Yes the stands are DIY. I have been branching out and working with new materials. The legs and top of the stands are aluminium and the bases are polished granite.

It is fun to work with a mixture of materials. Both the aluminium and stone were salvaged and re purposed.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Re: Re:fonken sub.

vinylkid58 said:
You won't like the numbers for the Extremis 6.8 in the Onken xls calculator.

This won't be an onken... it is just a FonkenWoof... 22 litres tuned to 27 Hz, should be good to 20 Hz with room lift.

Preliminary sketch attached. Vent is 19" long.

Since the miniOnken box is the same size, this is also the add-on woofer to your miniOnkens to make a RAW HT3 or HTFR on steriods.... Al has a very simple passive XO for the Extremis to the FR. Don't know if he is willing to share.

We have all the parts here or on their way. Lots of other things in the queue ahead of them thou.

dave

Attachments

• fonkenwoof-sketch.gif
    fonkenwoof-sketch.gif
    8.8 KB · Views: 5,801
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Re: FonkenWoof

vinylkid58 said:
Dave, you must have been reading my mind. I was thinking the very same thing (Fonken with built in sub) as I struggled with my Fonken box this afternoon.
I had a similar idea using my KEF B200's, but the boxes are just too big.:bawling:

Jeff

Yes B200s want a fairly big box. SP1014s i assume... did i sell 'em to you?

dave

IMG_1883.jpg

The Galacticons! Made from a spherical enclosure I got from a guy here (on diyaudio.com), the Lockheed "Galaxis space scanner", hence the name. FR125s in your basic max flat alignment (normally I go lower Qtc, but not really gonna happen given my enclosure volume limitations. The finish is hammerite, layered black, copper, and green, they look very much like a starry sky in person. Sounding pretty good, and much nicer looking than the old desktop speakers, which were some of the first enclosures I built, crappy unfinished ply.