Full Range Speaker Photo Gallery

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
one1speed said:
any thoughts? preferences between the two?

I haven't heard the RonHorns yet.

The Fostex box was slapped together as a starting point. We didn't expect much from it, but have been very pleasantly surprised. When one considers their diminuative size & unobtrusive presentation, they are quite outstanding.

Chris has made some comments on the comparison, i get to hear them tomorrow.

dave

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
doorman said:
Dave: In the pic of the "Ron-horns" , it looks like Chris has got the deflector just a few inches from the wall. Does that set-up work ok? Don

To elaborate on what has already been mentioned, the horn is designed for 1/4 space and as such the deflector is theorectically best placed flat against a backwall. That the deflector is there gives some more latitude thou, the actual mouth being formed by the space between the exit of the cabinet and the extents of the deflector.

Just before Ron published this, i independently came up with the same idea (pyramidal deflectors thou) spurred on from the deflector in Bob Hayes' Daleks.

dave

Kef R107

Hi again,

These are Kef R107,

They have a frequency range of 18hz - 20khz at around +-2db.
90db sensitivity , 4ohm resistive.

Attachments

• d6fc.jpg
    d6fc.jpg
    16 KB · Views: 8,053
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
OK, i've listened to the RonHorns vrs the little Fostex design....

... a big windstorm left us with no power yesterday so my 1st opportunity to comment.

As they are, the RonHorns are... well, not listenable. The closed in (some would say honky) midrange trumps any of the things they do well (ie they do the bass VERY well, not exceptionally low, but very articulate & well controlled, with rythym & pace).

Ron gave a good little treatise on the design compromises/choices with this design and there is a clear path with a good chance of clearing up their ills. The prime suspect is the quite small compresion chamber... to make it larger without any other changes invites a hole below the bafflestep (~650 hz) and where the horn would take over with a larger CC (~200-250 Hz -- the larger the CC all other things being equal, the lower the mechanical/acoustic XO on the backhorn). The fix is to move the BS point down in frequancy, so a larger baffle is needed. The trick is to do it in a manner that is cosmetically acceptable. We affixed a cut from cardboard "prototype" -- just to get an idea on the cosmetic imapact (the cardboard ones win no prizes at all) -- even thou we knew that without changing the CC they shouldn't prove anything. To our surprise the top end improved. A prototype fix & plan of action has been hatched. If the prototype takes us in the right direction, we'll talk to our CNC guy about something real pretty. I'm really glad we built these... they are teaching us some valuable things before we set out own horn into wood.

The little Fostex babies were literally a relief to install back into the system. They show the promise of the FE126E in the midrange... they leave us speculating about FAST systems for the FE126e thou, as the bass, althou there is a surprising amount, can not be desribed as controlled.

dave

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Re: FE126E

GG said:
What are your impressions of the FE126E vs the FE103 and the FE127E?

All the FE103s i've heard are either RS 40-1197 or FE103A variants. Just the extra 3 dB of the FE127 would tend to give it an edge when choosing a driver in this range. The FE127 is easier to get bass out of than the FE126 -- the diyAudio ref ML-TL having better bass in a smaller cab than the FE126 in the Fostex box and goes lower but doesn't have quite the finess of the FE126 in the much larger & much more complex RonHorn.

The FE126 is more forward in the mids and i'd give it the edge in definition (in the Fostex box)

It is a 6 of 1, half-a-dozen of the other between thr FE127 in the diyaudio ref and the FE126 in the Fostex box.

The Fostex FE126E reccomended enclosure looks good. I like the little change you made

We gave the diyAudio FE127 ref the same presentation... Chris is finishing them up & they will likely go to his mom.