Full range on wall for home theater?

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
One thing puzzles me: the driver is placed exactly in the center, how comes the simulation does not show any comb filter effect?

The sim was mostly to predict the bass performance. The diffraction due to baffle edges was probably not turned on. Besides, a 15in wide baffle is pretty large to minimize that effect which is normally minimized with an offset placement. You have to remember that the response of the driver is not flat (not pistonic) and in fact, with A7.3 is not anything close to flat as far as full range drivers go. I show the higher frequencies mainly to see that the bass is level matched.

Last edited:
The sim was mostly to predict the bass performance. The diffraction due to baffle edges was probably not turned on.
I see. I made a simple simulation in Boxsim in 10 ltrs vented enclosure tuned to 55 Hz, and it shows some pretty nasty comb filtering due to the baffle. Boxsim however can not simulate wall mounting (or a MLTL, for that matter).

Attachments

• MA7.3.fr.png
    MA7.3.fr.png
    8.8 KB · Views: 565
Last edited:
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
I see. I made a simple simulation in Boxsim in 10 ltrs vented enclosure tuned to 55 Hz, and it shows some pretty nasty comb filtering due to the baffle. Boxsim however can not simulate wall mounting (or a MLTL, for that matter).

If ultimate flat response is what you want, an offset driver location will be better. It won't look as good though. I might as well make it rectangular folded rather than square. Simply refold turns to have same length. If one makes it deeper the. Width of channels are narrower and it becomes a rectangle. Put driver at about 1/3rd from end - near top and offset by 3/4in or so should get rid of a lot of baffle edge diffraction. I will probably make foam core square as first case in any event.

FWIW, I made up a set of small single driver full range speakers as my first DIY audio project. I used the Fostex FE127. The boxes worked more or less as they should have although I wasn't a fan of the ragged treble from this driver (search this forum for Moon Onken). The idea was to support these speakers with a sub woofer below 80Hz, where the full range speakers run out of puff. I built a nice push-push sub (also on this forum).

My experience was this set-up provided great clarity, especially the vocals. this seems to be a real strength of the Full Range approach. To get the best of this set up required better quality amplification than an off-the-shelf HT receiver. This forced me to learn about electronics and ultimately to design and build my own amplifiers. I have since found that I want the convenience of a modern HT receiver. so I now use a Pioneer receiver that I have modified the internal Class AB amplifiers to improve their sound (see my TGM6 thread on the Solid state forum). It's much better but I may eventually move back to out-board DIY amps.

I have also discovered that such a set-up only provides its best with good source material. This means bluray and even then some recordings are better than others (The Master and Commander is my recommended test disc).

At the present time I am not using the Full Range speakers for my home theatre. Ultimately I found that they could not provide the bottom end dynamics that I enjoy in many movies. I also found that the sub could not fill this void. In hindsight, I would guess that what I should have done was use larger full range drivers so as to give enough oomph in the upper bass range. So I am now using multiple driver speakers, large floor standing units. Of course they are not as convenient to have in the room but they work well.

My recommendation is to use the largest boxes you can accommodate and perhaps MLTL. The smallest Full Range single driver speaker I made that would fit the bill is based on the Microtower from Planet10, which is also on this forum (search for Martello 2).

Edit: http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/full-range/220047-martello-2-mini-tower-single-2-x-4-a.html

Last edited:
My recommendation is to use the largest boxes you can accommodate and perhaps MLTL.
Sure, I was thinking of using the same speaker I use for center (1 ft³ CB 2-way) for surround, but I find these wall mount speakers much more appealing. But of course, if they don't fit, I need to find another solution. (In fact I always wanted to build dipole surrounds, but apparently no one ever came up with a proper DIY design for that, at least I haven't found one yet. Needless to say that I am not in the position to design one by myself. ;))

Hi,
I'd just like to thank xrk971 for posting this design. I have a pair of Alpair 7p drivers in Frugel Horns which have been usurped by Frugel Horn XLs in the main listening room so when I saw your design it seemed to make sense to give them a try in our newly created hobby room which is about 10ft square.

xzkxuE5h.jpg

They're put together rather crudely using things like an old Ikea unit but the dimensions behind the front baffle as per your description. I'm really rather impressed with the sound produced so will be doing a better job on the cabinets in the near future.
Once again, thanks.
Ian

The grey stuff is wool I think. Long-haired a bit like soft felt. Easy to tease out. I bought it from a DIY Speaker site but can't think where, it was left over from an earlier project.

I'm wondering what a pair of Alpair 10p drivers might sound in this cabinet but don't really understand the theory in order to scale it up - any pointers?

Cheers, Ian

P.S. I am now foolishly reading the foam core speaker thread - only 230 pages to go - thanks :eek:

Another Full Range speaker

Another full range speaker design to consider is a Cornu spiral horn. It is a back horn that expands outward perpendicular to the direction that the driver is facing. I think that this speaker design is for a more efficient speaker with a lower Qts.

Retsel

Low profile ML-TL? Flat speakers make a lot of sense. More people should try it. Very cool project.

The gut shots are nice. Who cares what it looks like; it's the insides... Wool is a good TL stuffing, but it would be half eaten by moths within a couple weeks where I live. Offhand, normally I'd say they look a little over-stuffed. However, considering the corner location, it's probably about perfect.

I'm almost to the point where if I make any more speakers, they will have to be wall mounted out of lack of space.