Full range >98dB SPL drivers for 45 tube

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
A 10” Tannoy would be my pick, but consider this… in a WAW with driver can†res within a quarter wavelength at the XO frequencies you essentially have co-incident drivers (co-axials would be a subset of this), and with this criterion a large number of issues with the XO go away.

dave

That’s a good point, and a more flexible option for most DIYers perhaps, but for a low power SET, like a 45, we’d be wanting high sensitivity and options narrow. There just aren’t many full rangers for a WAW with 97dB or more.

And if you add "reasonably priced" to the list of criteria, the options are very few indeed.
Beyma 12GA50
Eminence Beta 12 LTA is more of a +95db kind of thing.
The previously mentioned Fane 12" 250TC and 15" FC152, aside from the single wizzer 12".

Any more to add to the list?

Edit:
Sort of tempting to do a single driver battery powered mono amplified 35 liter closed box with the Fane 12-250TC and eq it flat from 50hz-10khz. Just to lug around.

Last edited:
It's two of the same. Either mess with phase on passive filters (gets expensive fast), or delay one unit through digital processing.
Almost like it "snaps" into place when you hit the spot. More coherent. Like a super version of an FR unit.
It can be a bit of fumbling to get there, both with filter slopes, phase and possibly time delay, but I found just measuring the distance between the coils, rough guessing the exact spot of the gap on the coil, calculating distance in time and applying that delay to the mid/woofer to be a good starting/fumbling around point.

Edit:
Sort of tempting to do a single driver battery powered mono amplified 35 liter closed box with the Fane 12-250TC and eq it flat from 50hz-10khz. Just to lug around.

Looks like a good plan, I have one in a 40L sealed box eq'd to a low 35Hz with a 30W amp, surprising how loud in room it is, and yes I like a bit of dub as well as a wide range of other genre's, it sounds great, very natural bass dynamics.
In my case it is processed with a 'Sure DSP' ADAU1701 based board using it's FIR capabilities for the mid/hi. Sure also do some class d amps with built in dsp, lipo battery
charge and bluetooth capability, should make for a great portable combo.

It's two of the same. Either mess with phase on passive filters (gets expensive fast), or delay one unit through digital processing.
Almost like it "snaps" into place when you hit the spot. More coherent. Like a super version of an FR unit.
It can be a bit of fumbling to get there, both with filter slopes, phase and possibly time delay, but I found just measuring the distance between the coils, rough guessing the exact spot of the gap on the coil, calculating distance in time and applying that delay to the mid/woofer to be a good starting/fumbling around point.

As in establishing the acoustic centres? Quite. Although to be perfectly honest, I've never really experienced much of a difference between nominally time / phase aligned (not necessarily the same thing) and equivalents that aren't. I've been informed by some people that I'm either ignorant or deaf because of that, but since I'd like to think I'm neither of those things, I prefer to take the view that while certainly nice & worth doing if practical, it isn't necessarily a defining factor in every case. That said, I'd go for it given the option. ;)

Last edited:
I agree it is very possible to make phase and time aligment differ. Not a defining factor for sure. But it's the difference between "quite good" and "excellent!". When you change the filters you will also change the phase transition, then you may also need to readjust time delay. It does take some fiddling about to get it right.

There are some differences between drivers, it really does sound like it all "snaps" together when you nail it. Not a humongous change, it just gets really really smooth, like it's not a coaxial anymore.

Last edited:
Hi KaffiMann - I once tried an allpass on my Eminence coax woofer section - don't know if it was just a better summation, but the tweeter seemed to mesh better. These Eminence ran about 99dB sensitivity with 80oz magnet and 2.5" edge wound coil. I have old Beyma 12cx which are much nicer than Beta12cx.

toEmnBg.jpg

Ds9wB8M.jpg

I agree it is very possible to make phase and time aligment differ. Not a defining factor for sure. But it's the difference between "quite good" and "excellent!".

Not in my experience it isn't. I'm not saying it can't be, just that it isn't automatically so, because that's what I've found. I wish it was as 'simple' as that since it would give a universal goal to aim for, but unfortunately it isn't. Oh well, it's what makes things interesting.

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Beautiful work, Ripson! That’s amazing that old pine from a barn looks like that. I have old white oak from a barn from 1860’s used as the battens inside my Rockville speakers. There is an exterior inlay made of the same barn wood taken from old barn near Rockville, Maryland.
896557d1606262198-rst28f-dc130a-foamcore-homage-ls3-5a-ab3eab38-ce24-41d5-83f3-b1c1075f9754-jpeg

Sorry to hear that you are not getting higher sensitivity out of them. Faital Pro 3FE25-16 are rated 90dB at 2.83v, so in parallel should be 96dB at 2.83v and circa 8ohm nominal impedance.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.