• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

FS: „Ultra Low Noise“ Power Supply, LT3045 based PCB’s

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Hi Jean Paul,

Sorry to add to the OT but you mention a dislike of toroids. What are your recommended transformers?

Martin

Any transformer that is not as wideband as toroids. I do like toroids for all their positive features but technically you can find better transformers. It does not help that toroids make mechanical noise with even the slightest DC component in mains voltage.

You see I like toroids but not their disadvantages. Those are often overlooked because toroids are about the easiest/cheapest to find. If you want a PSU that performs optimal in all its aspects then a toroid is not the best choice.

Last edited:
Cornan, many thanks for your summary at CA!
I am very happy that the HPULN's became an established factor in your "big pictures"...

You’re welcome Michael! I would’nt change the HC-HPULNs for anything else. My new LPSU is continuing to improve by the hour. I’m really over the moon! 😊 I will start with my other LPSU containing the 230-15VAC balanced & isolated ps, Sigma 11 (S12), LT3045 1A and HPULN (3A) as soon as I’ve got time. It is a bit more complicated to put together than the previous one so I will need a day off to get that one done. Fun, fun, fun! :)

I got my second LPSU together. This one will eventually have a HPULN (3A)as well, but to be able to directly compare the SQ I just used the LT3045 1A in series with Sigma 11 (S12) in this initial trial. I will report back how the HPULN will change SQ later on when everything have run for a while. It is obvious to me that it improves with some additional burn-in.

The true experimental tweak thread - Page 188 - Networking, Networked Audio, and Streaming - Computer Audiophile

Here is the results with my Sigma 11 based ”uber-LPSU” when I changed out one LT3045 1A to a HPULN.

The true experimental tweak thread - Page 189 - Networking, Networked Audio, and Streaming - Computer Audiophile

The difference in SQ is actually much greater than I put into words in my post. It actually transformed this LPSU from something great to something pretty amazing. What can I say Michael? I simple love your boards. Both HPULN & HC-HPULN! :cool:

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Thanks everyone for your replies. Might still need to commit to toroids for convenience.

Martin.

Convenience in transformers ? Just order an Ccore/Rcore on Ebay to try out ;)

A chain is as strong as its weakest link. We can use as many three letter acronyms and technobabble as we want but it is just like that.

True/real balanced and isolated indeed has less drawbacks theoretically but when doing things right do them all right :D Most will use toroids in standard configuration though which makes them a non optimal choice in general.

Last edited:
Convenience in transformers ? Just order an Ccore/Rcore on Ebay to try out ;)

A chain is as strong as its weakest link. We can use as many three letter acronyms and technobabble as we want but it is just like that.

True/real balanced and isolated indeed has less drawbacks theoretically but when doing things right do them all right :D Most will use toroids in standard configuration though which makes them a non optimal choice in general.

Surely torodial transformers is not for the lazy cowd, but man I can tell you that it sound pretty amazing when the feeder supply is truly balanced & floating, with EMI IEC input filter, connected to a DC blocker trap filter & balanced IT with bypassed center-tap (not connected to the toriodal transformer core but to a star-earth point with IEC inlet, electrostatic shield and AC outlet via chassi ground) and connected to a star-earthed and starquad wired power distributor. Not everyones cup of tea I know, but everyone should try it ones in a lifetime! :D

Hi Marcus,

As both power supplies have 3x LT3045 per rail, both could make up to 2x 1,5A (0,5A each LT3045).
BUT:
Linear regs generate a lot of heat, which results of the difference between input and output voltage x current.

The SD-HPULN is very compact to replace regs, which power only few components. So only few mA are needed, heat is very limited. So just a tiny heatsink is needed.

Please also take a look into the FAQ (link is in the footer).

Best regards

Stammheim