Frugel-Horn XL for Alpair 10.3/10p, Fostex FF165wk, more

During the break-in process of the FHXL, when would be the best time to adjust the stuffing for the bass response? 100hours? 200hours? 400hours?

And how would one know that you have the best bass response? Is there a simple instrument that can measure the bass response? Test tones and sound level meter can suffice?

Break in boxes

Break in boxes 145 hours and still running, while building FHXL cabinets. Any suggestions on measuring 2.0 and 2.8 oz of stuffing? I don't have a scale that can measure that low.
Jim

Attachments

• break in boxes.JPG
    break in boxes.JPG
    97.1 KB · Views: 504
Making felt from cotton batting

Making ½ in felt from cotton batten.
Tools and materials
a. Iron
b. Tin shears
c. Tape measure
d. Cotton batting - I bought 90% cotton 10% binder from WalMart it came in 90 inch width and I bought
2 yards. About 6 folded layers is approx. ½ inch thick.
e. Spray adhesive, use in well ventilated area and wear long sleeve shirt and gloves. I used Loctite high
performance adhesive also from Walmart.

1. Cut one length at 38 inches then fold for the 8inch width until you get approx. ½ thickness then cut off
extra.
2. Iron the 8 inch wide folded up batting on both sides to form creases and compress batting.
3. Spray adhesive between folded batting.
4. Cut to size, then spray adhesive into loose folds and press batting to form felt.
5. Repeat for remainder of required felt.

Attachments

• felt 1.JPG
    felt 1.JPG
    167.7 KB · Views: 488
  • felt 2.JPG
    felt 2.JPG
    167.2 KB · Views: 480
  • felt 3.JPG
    felt 3.JPG
    163.6 KB · Views: 441
  • felt 4.JPG
    felt 4.JPG
    171.8 KB · Views: 447
  • felt 5.JPG
    felt 5.JPG
    148 KB · Views: 434
  • felt 6.JPG
    felt 6.JPG
    167.3 KB · Views: 143
I have the plans for FHXL, the problem was obtaining 1/2 inch cotton or wool felt. The post was to show how I used cotton batting to make a 1/2 in type of felt, the pieces are cut per the plan. The diy felt is denser than ultra bluejeans and probably less dense than wool, but I think it should work for what is intended. Thanks for the reply.
Jim

to Jim M I put the same amount in the front , below the driver, as I did the V part and the bass is wonderful , but might have lessened the upper mids and high frequencies !!!I didn't play with it at all ... 30 grams each. I have the FHMK3 and am building the FHXL's

Last edited:
and the bass is wonderful , but might have lessened the upper mids and high frequencies !!!I didn't play with it at all ... 30 grams each. I have the FHMK3 and am building the FHXL's

Since the enclosure only affects frequencies below circa 300hz, the loss in upper mids and highs cannot be due to stuffing, those are purely driver dependent...
What you might have experienced is too much boost in the lower frequencies (due to too little stuffing beow the driver), giving you the inpression that the mids and highs were affected....

Last edited: