Frugel-Horn Mk3

At the risk of being a little off topic, I’m interested to know what headphones FH3/FHXL owners are using. Building FH3s w/ MA 7MSs completely flipped my perception of value for money, where previously I thought I’d need to spend 1000’s of dollars on speakers to beat the sound experience of my AKG K7XX headphones… I spent about aud$1000 all up building my horns (including a $600 amp) and now my headphones are downright disappointing to listen to. I know what I’m missing out on when at my desk.

Now it seems I need to spend 1000’s on headphones to match my horns! I listened to Sennheiser HD800s at a shop many years ago and they were phenomenal, but again, 1000’s!

Building FH3s w/ MA 7MSs completely flipped my perception of value for money

The FH3's are more than the sum of their parts alsyd. Something that happens occasionally with really good design. I've listened to mine for ten years now and don't feel the slightest need to make any others.

I began with DIY chip amps and now I use a $12 class D amp which with a weeks worth of switched testing proved to be about 2% better.

Cheers

Hello all, I was wondering if anyone would be kind enough to point me in the right direction.
I'm new to the whole DIY audio and HiFi game, so my knowledge is somewhat limited unfortunately.

I have looked through and considered a few designs and I would like to try building a pair of Frugel-Horns. I have already purchased a small amp, a SMSL SA300, and I intend on using my amazon echo dot as a audio source, connecting to the amp via a aux to rca phono splitter cable. I know it's not optimal but being a student I am quite budget limited.

Onto the question: I would welcome some suggestions for a pair of drivers that would perform well with hard rock/metal music. I currently was looking at the Markaudio Pluvia 7.2HD.

Again, any recommendations would be welcome, not just with the drivers, but the build in general.

Many Thanks,
Sam

I'm curious about this as well, as I too listen to metal/rock. I would supplement with a pair of sealed subs, in my case. But I do like to crank it from time to time. Am I completely off base here considering something like this for my needs/wants? (I currently have a pair of ML Motion 40's, but as it is with this hobby, always curious about other things)

Last edited by a moderator: