Frugel-Horn Mk3

Some people may be interested in the size differences between Maeshowe, Twin FH3 and FH3

twin-FH3-Maeshowe.jpg

dave

Hi Dave,

Just curious, what drivers did you use in the Twin FH3?

Thetubeguy1954 (Tom Scata)

It's all natural wood sheets. My friend did the finishing for me, I don't have this skills.

Amp is an Indeed TA2021, with a Fiio DAC taking signal from optic cable.

Source, most of the time is Spotify streamed trough Chrome Cast.

When I want some more serious listening session, I play some flacs and use the Fiio E17 as DAC through USB cable.

47b526846fc2681cc2ce0f35179f5755.jpg

63369ed3e6c6e1bb4b6af6959c0313cb.jpg

Last edited:
I was ready to haul my FH3s up into my prime space again this weekend, but had a kitchen disaster to deal with instead. And now with half of my kitchen spread across the dining room adjacent to my listening area I don't think I need anything else to get in the way. Our kitchen cabinets pulled away from the wall during hurricane Sandy when the house flexed in a gust, but seemed to be stable over the years since. Until this week that is. They dropped about 2 more inches and we were worried they'd just fall off the wall so we pulled them down. That's when we also discovered how bad the leak was from the bathroom above too. So all in all a total mess. At least a new kitchen is in our future, something we've talked about for years.

And back to audio, that also means no new audio toys for a while. :(

I was ready to haul my FH3s up into my prime space again this weekend, but had a kitchen disaster to deal with instead. And now with half of my kitchen spread across the dining room adjacent to my listening area I don't think I need anything else to get in the way. Our kitchen cabinets pulled away from the wall during hurricane Sandy when the house flexed in a gust, but seemed to be stable over the years since. Until this week that is. They dropped about 2 more inches and we were worried they'd just fall off the wall so we pulled them down. That's when we also discovered how bad the leak was from the bathroom above too. So all in all a total mess. At least a new kitchen is in our future, something we've talked about for years.

And back to audio, that also means no new audio toys for a while. :(

zacster,

I'm so sorry that your kitchen problems will prevent you from being able to improve your audio system for the foreseeable future. But like you said at least you'll be getting that new kitchen you and your wife have been talking about and as they say "Happy wife, Happy life!" If I were you I'd embrace this new kitchen as an opportunity to improve your audio system. How so you ask? Well my friend, as you and your wife look for new cabinets, countertops and flooring, be sure to mention to your wife how you're kind of glad this problem happened. She'll probably ask you why you're glad this happened ---{and if she doesn't ask volunteer the info}--- So explain to her that you're happy because she'll finally have the new kitchen she's wanted for so long!

Next be sure that during picking out all the items needed that you compliment her choices and try to be as involved as possible --trust me she'll really appreciate it. Finally when the kitchen is finished, tell her how nice it looks and how glad you are for her that she finally has her new kitchen! I'll almost guarantee that when you get back to picking out your new audio components, she'll be a lot more agreeable about what you're doing and on the off chance that she isn't, look her in the eyes and ask her; "Honey why aren't you as happy for me getting this new piece of audio gear as I was for you getting your new kitchen? "

This is a golden opportunity for you, so don't waste it. Besides you really should be happy the woman you love is getting her new kitchen anyways, right? And I'll bet that you really are happy for her inside...

Tom - the first part was right on the money - the second part, well as few of us here are familiar with "mrs Zacster" , I'd not be so willing to wager on the outcome.

After the first 25 yrs or so of subsidizing my audio addiction, mrs B couldn't care less about the quality of sound, as long as she can easily operate her background music, and any upgrade doesn't come out of our joint operating fund.:)

These comments are all appreciated, except for one little fact. I don't let my wife in the kitchen as something smoldering usually comes out. She doesn't even know how to boil water (she turns on the burner and then turns it low). No, the kitchen is for me.

So I have my audio hobby, my cycling, my astronomy, my cooking, my very bad no good piano skills. All of these things cost money (except that at least my cooking is appreciated). She gets to train for the NYC Marathon.

In the end though after 26 years and 3 kids we are still happy together. :)

These comments are all appreciated, except for one little fact. I don't let my wife in the kitchen as something smoldering usually comes out. She doesn't even know how to boil water (she turns on the burner and then turns it low). No, the kitchen is for me.

So I have my audio hobby, my cycling, my astronomy, my cooking, my very bad no good piano skills. All of these things cost money (except that at least my cooking is appreciated). She gets to train for the NYC Marathon.

In the end though after 26 years and 3 kids we are still happy together. :)

zacster, if after 26 years and 3 kids you two are still happy together, you're already a winner in my book! Congrats and enjoy your new kitchen...

Frugal pics, advice on spawn of frugal horn

Dear somebody, anybody please!
Attached you see my almost completed Frugel build. Unfortunately waiting for Fostex FE126En delivery. Can't wait! Bit of a stopper that. Anyhow, one pic shows a possible siting for the speakers around my (modest) home cinema setup. Mainly blues music, bit of jazz, easy listening etc by way of audio-only. No heavy bass. The Frugels would have to be ~4ft from the back walls as shown to stand clear of the screen supports and other obstacles. So not really corner loaded, and a funny shaped room at that. FE126En could be a bit bass light here, I will have to see.
In one pic you can see my recently completed Amp Camp Amps, built dead-bug style to drive the speakers. More than happy with those driving my old KEF bookshelves for now, lovely.
Anyhow, my mind has drifted to thoughts of building something with a little more bottom end for the listening position shown - Lotus or Lotus ^ 2. It is fun, this speaker building malarkey! Where should I direct a few questions please?
Thanks to all here for so much inspiration.

Attachments

• Front-on.jpg
    Front-on.jpg
    533.8 KB · Views: 330
  • Frugal-horn.jpg
    Frugal-horn.jpg
    499.4 KB · Views: 300
  • Room.jpg
    Room.jpg
    123.9 KB · Views: 289