Frugel-Horn Mk3

In terms of visuals, that Porsche sorta goes along with the drivers of the LS50...but now I'm going OT myself. (ANd yes, I think both are beautiful.)

UL

funny you didn't comment on the Porsche reference

of course this is completely out of the thread's context - but this thing is rather fricking gorgeous for a hybrid , if you like that sorta thing

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

More than on hundred pages... sorry, I couldn't read all that yet...
Question: I have a pair of A7 coming, and I'm wondering if this FH would be a good choice for a small room.

I have a 2.5m wide x 2.5m long room. The distance from speakers do the ears would be 1.5m, with a open dining room of 2.5m x 4m (L shape).

I have plans that this cabinets will be my definitives, but my room will change (as soon as I buy a new larger apartment.

So... is it worth buiding it now, or I can have another simple cabinet with better performance on this small room?

The WAF is as always inverse proportional to the size of the speakers, bu I don't like the BR bass. It's always lazy and colored by the port. I really preffer the sound of LTs and horns, but would it have a terrible performance in such a small room?
Thanks.

I listen to my FH3's in a little room I made at the back of the garage 8 ft long by 7ft wide. I had to put quite a bit of pillow fill stuff below the driver to reduce the bass. I've demo'd them to a few people and they have been astonished that so much bass comes from a 4" driver, and delighted with the clarity, the forward sound and the stereo separation.

The speaker is far more than the sum of its parts.

Jim

They will go low enough! I have large studio monitors and my own version of the FH'3's and depth of bass is not a limiting factor. Depends on what music you like. These speakers are at their best when listening to Jazz, classical, Country, acoustic rock. But maybe that's just me. However, to get the best out of them you need a really good class A amplifer or equiverlent. I use an American valve amp and they sound great. Oh and yes, I make mine in 15 year aged, slow grown solid French Oak - very expensive, take months to settle down (ie no varnisihnig at all for 12 weeks, to avoid cracking but oh my, the sound!
Enjoy

The A7 is already coming to Brazil.... now I'm pretty sure that I choose the right cabinet. I maybe try something diferent to compose the walls. What do you guys think about a "3 layers sandwich" of ply / mdf / other type of ply? 6mm each, total of 18mm of 3 different materials?
I already try this in another cabinet I made, and the ressonance of the cabinet was reduced a lot. 3 different densities, 3 different ressonance frequencies... all laser cuted.

??? Would it worth it????

Doug, via tapatalk

To be honest, a horn or TL enclosure works very differently from an infinite baffle or ported cabinet. For that reason, high quality, dense birch ply is fine. But as I said I like using solid oak. It's worked fine for Origen pipes for hundreds of years, so it should see you out too!

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
high density plywood (Baltic Birch, Apple Ply, Russian, whatever you wanna call it)

I don't really know if it qualifies as high density, it certainly has lots of plys. Less dense ply with the same stiffness would be better as its resonance potential would be at higher frequencies, the higher they are the less chance they will get excited.

The stranded bamboo ply we use on occasion is very dense, a downside that is easily countered by its very high stiffness.

dave