Frugel-Horn Mk3

... The wider version had a touch more bass SPL output but all the peaks and dips in the response curves looked the same.

And if I actually wanted to make them slightly narrower than the reference design for SAF (sister acceptance factor...), can I expect them to perform well, if not as good as the reference design ?

So out of these FE126En, CHR-70, EL70, and Alpair7 which worked best with the Frugel-Horn ? Alpair7 is a Mark Audio driver if I'm not mistaken ????

By the way I'm very impressed with the design - I studied architecture at varsity but dropped out after a couple of years so I can absolutely dig this.

LB

Would love to but in London don't drive unfortunately but thanks for a very very kind offer Jemraid obviously neither of you chaps wouldn't of chosen Mark Audio drivers if they weren't delivering.

I was thinking of trying these two kits links below, both available though Blue Planet Acoustics. I'm sticking to small and accessible project but are you Dave and you Jim actually building crossovers measuring the sweet spots and calcing the throat of the horn inside the Frugel Horn ?

Why the tight V shape as opposed to a more fluid ''s'' or ''f'' that more catches the waves and smoothly delivers them at the rear a bit like the our human throughout ?

if so any links to recommend for one with like me with no knowledge who may need to mod as opposed to build at first or should I be going the other way around ?

Markaudio AP7 Balance Silber Kit Mark Audio Alpair6 - Lautsprecher Selbstbau by blue planet acoustic
AP6P Monitor Bausatz AP7 Balace - Lautsprecher Selbstbau by blue planet acoustic

LB :D

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
I was thinking of trying these two kits links below, both available though Blue Planet Acoustics

1st thing i'd ask... are they MDF. If they are i'd cross them off my list. The baffle on the A7 kit likely sacrifices performance for aesthetics (personally i don't like the aesthetic, but some must). Note that these are for A7, not A7.3 so hopefully they ar ediscounted.

Why the tight V shape as opposed to a more fluid ''s'' or ''f'' that more catches the waves and smoothly delivers them at the rear a bit like the our human throughout ?

The smooth curves may be pretty but degrade performance of a back horn by letting more HF out the mouth.

If you want small, consider an inquiry of Colin (aka Toppsy) about doing a flat-pak of mMar-Ken6.2 in plywood.

Here is my pair (only red A6.2 likely) with cabinet finished to complement

253893d1323383828-minionken-fonken-picture-gallery-mmar-ken6p-red-comp.jpg

Colin also has knowledge of where a large number of the FH3 in the UK are, there may be a pair close to you.

dave

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
That post is a bit confusing.

The speakers are one of the sets of prototype Mar-Kel70wT with my personal drivers in them (different colour spots than stock and a set of bezel rim spots -- if you haven't run into the spots yet, check out EnABL). Bernie sure does nice work doesn't he?

The EL70 is the North American variation of the CHP70 (1st gen) and from the one person i know who has both a bit better. These work extremely well in a Frugal-Horn Mk3 and there is a milliSize box for them as well.

Those are in my main system now. We are probably going to add woof-wT to them to replace the stands.

dave

I was interested in the decoupling arrangement in escalante speakers and dipolar speakers wondered if the dipolar arrangement might work with the frugal by adding a rear passive or would that just kill the horn function totally or simply defeat the object ???

Just curious what you thought ?

http://fmarvasti.com/BipoleDipole/BipolarSpeaker2.gifAs an after thought maybe bipolar would work better with the frugal anyone tried this out as dipolar works out of phase ?

have you actually heard a standard FH3 yet, and what exactly are you anticipating as benefits of bipolar configuration? - there certainly are some, but not without some cost in terms of floor space, and they may not be well suited to rooms with placement constraints

that said, I'm quite happy with a pair of not exactly standard bipoles i.e. the Castle Microtower

Planet10 wrote
If you want small, consider an inquiry of Colin (aka Toppsy) about doing a flat-pak of mMar-Ken6.2 in plywood.

I'd be happy to give you a price for a flat pack kit. Contact me through this forum if you are interested.

Planet10 also wrote
Colin also has knowledge of where a large number of the FH3 in the UK are, there may be a pair close to you.

Indeed I do. I have shipped a couple of FH3 flat pack kits to London area.

laughingbuddha "floppybootstomp" over on Audio Talk forum has recently built a FH3 flat pack kit of mine and he lives in Greenwich. Here is the build thread audio-talk :: View topic - My Frugel Mk 3 build. You can contact him through that forum or on the otherhand if you contact me through these pages I will give you his contact details. I'm sure he'll accommodate you to review the speakers at his place.

Last edited:
"With these plans, one sled and two templates, one can come pretty close to the accuracy of the CNC created cabinets."
Wow! Thank You for post your detailed plans and pictures. Your speakers look beautiful.
Did you cut the 45 degree lock miter on the front vertical edges with the table saw or did you use the router/shaper?
Thanks again.
Tim