Frugel-Horn Mk3 Builds & Build Questions

Hi,

I am a bit confused as to how much stuffing has to be in the horn with FE126EN drivers.
The plans says 30 grams up to the point, but both green and orange colors are represented. Is it 30 grams for each section or 30 grams in total?
I have tried 30 grams in total, but highs seems a bit muffled, is this a consequence of incorrect stuffing?
What kind of felt did you used?

For the FE126 30g in the point and nothing else is the 1st suggestion.
dave

Okay, my next question is, is it only the marked area which should be stuffed?
The description does not mention the green area in any way, but as a zone, and the "orange" cloud which symbolizes the stuffing below the driver could also be interpreted as an needed for the fe126 that calls out for blue+orange stuffing.
I am in doubt because the point stuffing has 2 arrows pointing to both colors/zones and stating 30 grams.

For my build, i have put 30 grams in total distributed in both zones, not only the orange one.

rh6dn95.png

Thanks!

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Okay, my next question is, is it only the marked area which should be stuffed?
The description does not mention the green area in any way, but as a zone, and the "orange" cloud which symbolizes the stuffing below the driver could also be interpreted as an needed for the fe126 that calls out for blue+orange stuffing.
I am in doubt because the point stuffing has 2 arrows pointing to both colors/zones and stating 30 grams.

For my build, i have put 30 grams in total distributed in both zones, not only the orange one.

rh6dn95.png

Thanks!

The green is felt lining, it makes little difference if some of the stuff in the point reaches up into that area.

The FE126, for maximum bass, will have no stuffing below the driver, but if you can load the horns into a corner — which will give you more gain at LF — you may find that you need some to reduce the amount of bass.

The amount of damping is room, room placement, damping material chaarchteristicss, and user taste dependent. This is what make the FH so versatile, but it also measn that there is no set formula for your situation.

dave

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Is there any change in performance if FH3 is made with perpendicular baffle like in double frugal horn (like bottom half of double FH)

Not a whole lot — only where the driver fires. In the Twin FH you have the top driver firing at your head, and if you roll one off at HF, one would typically use the top driver FR.

I have preliminary drawings with that format. If you need, email me and i’ll dig them out and make them presentable. You might have to do your own cut-plans as i have many drawings on my plate.

dave

The green is felt lining, it makes little difference if some of the stuff in the point reaches up into that area.

The FE126, for maximum bass, will have no stuffing below the driver, but if you can load the horns into a corner — which will give you more gain at LF — you may find that you need some to reduce the amount of bass.

The amount of damping is room, room placement, damping material chaarchteristicss, and user taste dependent. This is what make the FH so versatile, but it also measn that there is no set formula for your situation.

dave

Thank you a lot, Dave,

Pulled out the stuffing and redid it, so that it is only the orange wavy section which is stuffed, seems to stiffen it up a little bit. Did not add anymore yet. Perhaps I will add 5-10 grams later on, when i have tested them more.

Still not a lot of LF, but I am certain it will come once I glue them up, and they are tight at the seams.

Thanks!

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
I know A7.3 is really good, i expect the A7ms to also be very good, but maybe in different ways. I have 2 dozen downstairs i need to finish getting broken in so i can listen to them.

I currently have P7PHD in the FH3 set up to accomodate them, and a 2nd[/sub] pair with A7.3 (A7.3eN) in them as reference. Just have to find the time...

I have heard A11ms, and it suggests a lo tof promise for the A7ms.

dave

Fiberglass is excellent but 50mm is too thick for this purpose; 1in (25mm) is preferable, and I would suggest obtaining the bonded board-type e.g. Owens Corning 703 to ensure you have no loose fibres. Fibreglass is not the evil health-destroyer some believe it to be (there's a reason it's used for insulation in houses, without necessarily being in airtight chambers) but it can be an irritant.

The other -possibly if doubled, but the rated acoustic absorbtion of 'excellent' isn't inspiring complete confidence. I could claim the chances of Emilia Clarke falling madly in love with me are 'excellent' but that doesn't mean they are. ;) My preference is OC-703 or for a natural fibre alternative, SAE-F10 rated felt, both of which should be possible to purchase on-line, even if they have to come from an international supplier.

Fiberglass is excellent but 50mm is too thick for this purpose; 1in (25mm) is preferable, and I would suggest obtaining the bonded board-type e.g. Owens Corning 703 to ensure you have no loose fibres. Fibreglass is not the evil health-destroyer some believe it to be (there's a reason it's used for insulation in houses, without necessarily being in airtight chambers) but it can be an irritant.

The other -possibly if doubled, but the rated acoustic absorbtion of 'excellent' isn't inspiring complete confidence. I could claim the chances of Emilia Clarke falling madly in love with me are 'excellent' but that doesn't mean they are. ;) My preference is OC-703 or for a natural fibre alternative, SAE-F10 rated felt, both of which should be possible to purchase on-line, even if they have to come from an international supplier.
Ok.. :) .. will check if they are having a 25mm fiber glass for the lining of the back side of the driver ..
sarathssca,

Is jute felt available at your place?

regarding Jute felt, yet to check with the shop person, but in their site its given as below, being available in thickness of 6mm/10mm/12mm jute felts..
Jute Felt

also they have "pressed wool felts" but they seems to be hard, and the shop person was suggesting to go for fiber glass or acoustic mat would be better for speaker builds, than that "pressed wool felt"..