From HDMI digitally all the way to the speakers - what have people's experiences been?

Hi all,

back in 2022 I found out about the Wondom JAB5 and then the freeDSP project and had a with CyberPit-san over in this forum's freeDSP thread. Ultimately I lost interest after finding out that the JAB5 isn't actually fully digital (the ADAU1701 takes analog in and produces analog out) and that any ADAU1452/1462/1466-based boards in the freeDSP board list are basically unobtainium.

Now my interest got rekindled when I found out about the ZOUDIO AIO4CH (not sold anymore) using the TAS5825M. Unfortunately I need around 2x80W + 2x30W. 4x60+ would be fine, but whatever. There's also the TAS5760M, but that has even less output power and no boards with it seem to exist at all.

Now, after an afternoon of wondering more about the ADAU1452 which CyberPit had mentioned and some googling around I'm left wondering about the following:

Have people in the past built a pipeline like what I'm imagining? (HDMI > I²S extractor > ADAU1452 > DAC [which one? Or perhaps a DAC-integrated amplifier chip?] > amp [which one, TDA3116 comes in mind for a first test setup.) And if so, what have your experiences been? Where are the pitfalls? What's difficult about this? Why are not more people doing it? By the way, I'm specifically looking to build an all-the-way-I²S DIY thing, not to buy a 500€-ready-made device.

Looking forward to any responses - and please, if this is the wrong forum, I'd be thankful for a mod moving this thread to somewhere more appropriate :)

Cheers,

Jonathan

TNT

Joined 2003
Paid Member
I once built a set of speakers (and system) to have the absolutely shortest analog path I could achieve. I used these very small 2USD 2W class-d amps without inductors on the output and placed each DAC very close, feed by 5m toslink cable each - I think I managed 3cm DAC to amp, amp= 3cm and amp-speaker 3cm - so about 9cm total analog path length. As I remember, it became very clear. I think there is someting in this architecture.

//

Thank you for the vote of conficence, Mr. TNT, and greetings up north! 3cm from amp to speaker I won't be able to achieve, since the speakers themselves are 1.20m tall, but what I can do is put some good, fat, cables on them :)

About to go and buy that DSP board and just do the first test with what I have lying around, which amounts to an el-cheapo PCM5102 & TDA3116 board. Perhaps by the time I'll be done with that, someone will have mentioned a few other boards.

I'd also consider having something fabbed on JLCPCB so long as the hardware is nice enough to warrant that.

Reactions: 1 user
Hi all,

back in 2022 I found out about the Wondom JAB5 and then the freeDSP project and had a with CyberPit-san over in this forum's freeDSP thread. Ultimately I lost interest after finding out that the JAB5 isn't actually fully digital (the ADAU1701 takes analog in and produces analog out) and that any ADAU1452/1462/1466-based boards in the freeDSP board list are basically unobtainium.

Now my interest got rekindled when I found out about the ZOUDIO AIO4CH (not sold anymore) using the TAS5825M. Unfortunately I need around 2x80W + 2x30W. 4x60+ would be fine, but whatever. There's also the TAS5760M, but that has even less output power and no boards with it seem to exist at all.

Now, after an afternoon of wondering more about the ADAU1452 which CyberPit had mentioned and some googling around I'm left wondering about the following:

Have people in the past built a pipeline like what I'm imagining? (HDMI > I²S extractor > ADAU1452 > DAC [which one? Or perhaps a DAC-integrated amplifier chip?] > amp [which one, TDA3116 comes in mind for a first test setup.) And if so, what have your experiences been? Where are the pitfalls? What's difficult about this? Why are not more people doing it? By the way, I'm specifically looking to build an all-the-way-I²S DIY thing, not to buy a 500€-ready-made device.

Looking forward to any responses - and please, if this is the wrong forum, I'd be thankful for a mod moving this thread to somewhere more appropriate :)

Cheers,

Jonathan
I have done something similar to this, HDMI->I2S->ADAU1701->DAC analog output or DDC AES/EBU output

你好 Yulen, hi Loafmeat, thank you both for your replies!

I ended up buying an ADAU1452 board and a MA12070P board after meeting an electrical engineer over the holidays who explained me some things. Currently trying to get these to work on their own, and then to play together nicely. Will report once I get some sound out of them :)

That's a really good idea, rayma. I'm liking the MA120x0x so much that I've begun considering outfitting all speakers with it, big and small. The only ready-made PCB available from China is a 2x80W stereo board. My old Klipsch Ref IV RF-62 have two deep-frequency drivers which are exactly the same, as well as one tweeter. I'm wondering whether it would make sense to do a custom amplifier PCB which unites a DSP with 1x MA12070 (since each of its 80W outputs is higher than the 60W each of these probably pulls, that should be more than enough) + 1x bridged-output MA12040 (since straining it less gets you better THD+N, down to 1%, which is more noticable in higher frequencies) to drive each separately. As in, remove the flesh-and-bones cross-over network from the speaker innards and do all of that in-DSP.

This shows quite well what the speakers look like, also on the inside... https://www.areadvd.de/hardware/2011/klipsch_rf62_mkII.shtml

Last edited:
Hi Loafmeat, looking at your setup, it's just different goals.
Yours looks like it's about chaining ready-made consumer devices together and doing things mostly in software.
Mine is about doing things mostly in hardware and small enough to put inside the loudspeakers themselves in the end. Basically, DYI Sonos...

I'm also wanting to learn (the basics of) using SigmaStudio. This is indeed proving the biggest challenge so far :)

One unexpected and interesting thing I encountered along the way: once you have DAC and amp close enough together (go analog one chip before the amp chip, not wait unti you're inside the amp chip, like with the MA120x0), it doesn't matter that much anymore. And since the MA120x0 are Not Recommended For New Designs now, I might actually go back to dedicated DAC boards. The other interesting thing I learned in that same vein: the MA120x0p (the digital-input versions) are actually a little more noisy than their analog-input counterparts (without the "p" at the end).

I'm still so happy with the little Chinese MA12070p board that once I finish the DSP program for the ADAU1452 to a point where there's an equalizer, volume control, and perhaps a little Android app to go along with it, I'll wrap the first phase of this project up by making a little enclosure :giggle: (not quite ready to take the Klipsch apart yet, either)

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user