• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

Free DSD Download - Well almost... 0.10$

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Thanks, pinocchio..
I have an account with bluecoast, but did not know about the promotional deal.

I am downloading the DSD versions of these files which over DSL is agonizingly slow.. :eek:

I use JRiver MC17 which can play DSD files directly, MC17 converts them to 24 bit 96 kHz PCM so that I can play them through my DAC. They sound quite good, a little more analog like than most of the high res PCM I have downloaded..

dgta, assuming you downloaded the 44.1kHz PCM files and they unzip to wave and not .dsf (dsd) files you still need to use the proper mode to burn these to an audio as opposed to data CD. If these are .dsf files you would get the error you describe. It sounds like you downloaded the dsd files. I'm not sure whether any of the open source players have codecs that support .dsf yet, but that might be worth looking into.

Thanks Kevin, no I downloaded the 96k version. Unzipped to .wav files. I assumed all cd burner software can handle it. Using InfraRecorder at the moment, apparently it doesn't like it.

I also can't get Windows Media Player to play the files. Something about a Tag1 codec necessary.

I suppose I can spend another 10 cents and buy the 44k version, just curious why I can't use the high res.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Thanks Kevin, no I downloaded the 96k version. Unzipped to .wav files. I assumed all cd burner software can handle it. Using InfraRecorder at the moment, apparently it doesn't like it.

I also can't get Windows Media Player to play the files. Something about a Tag1 codec necessary.

I suppose I can spend another 10 cents and buy the 44k version, just curious why I can't use the high res.

Download Foobar, unless the files are somehow corrupt you should be able to play them fine. The DSD files I have pulled down so far are quite good.

You can't burn 2496 to audio cds, you must first down convert them to 16 bit 44.1K wave files.

I'm in the process of downloading the DSD versions of these files which of course are gigantic, but so far they all sound excellent. I even like one or two of the songs - who is complaining for ten cents.. :p

How large are the DSD files? The 96kHz WAV files range from 57MB to 240MB.
Is it possible to play DSD files in Foobar2000? If so, I might buy the DSD version too :)

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
How large are the DSD files? The 96kHz WAV files range from 57MB to 240MB.
Is it possible to play DSD files in Foobar2000? If so, I might buy the DSD version too :)

The DSD files range from about 150MB - 300MB and it is a painfully slow process for me to download them at an average of 100KB/sec - fortunately I have a week to do it. If I need lower res I can transcode them later. As I get to listen to more of these I have to say they are probably the best sounding high res downloads I have yet heard. I will buy some of their other albums in DSD which will run about $50 a pop - so not cheap.. The current album on offer is $50 in DSD format.

I don't know if Foobar can play these files or not, but it's a moot point for me as I long ago settled on J. River media center, and the current MC17 which is what I am running plays these files natively.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.