Frankenstein becomes cindarella..I hope!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
man...am so NOT into what drivers and stuff I have! That decision on the 18 was quite a few years ago now! Still, if you look at the web description PHL give they say 'optimised for sound quality over sensitivity', so I guess from the start (even tho it is prob all marketing speak) I was looking towards sound quality (rather than quantity given they are a pro manufacturer) as the guide. So, as it turns out, it too fits in with the same philosophy as the 10 and 6.5!

The final thing that makes me smile is that the 18 is still 96db efficient anyway!

I admit I was wondering why you'd bother particularly to come and hear these, unless (as it seems now) you have kinda decided on PHL or sumthin, if so then yeah it does make a lot of sense to come and hear them. For all we know, you could find out you DON'T like their sound, well then it would certainly have saved you heaps eh?

So you are also considering AE? Hah, may as well spill the beans about my gag regarding A9X, he is my mate (and has a different user name on this forum)..so yeah I could prob get him out haha. Anyway, I mentioned above I borrowed some AE tens for the experiment. Suffice to say I personally much prefer the PHL ten than the AE tens I used for the experiment.

Personal taste and all that stuff of course.

Power..some old Jands amp for the subs..can't remember what power they are supposed to be (I care as much about the technical details of amps etc as I do about what drivers I have!) but maybe 600 a side??? Or 400, who knows.

18 has 350/side, tens about 200, 6.5 about 110 or so and the tweeter about 50??? Basically all I do is put the most powerful on the bottom and so on up.

I am an 'all amps sound the same and could not give a stuff' guy, YMMV.

As of now I have decided on the TPL-150 and 1120 from PHL. Now the bottom I have not decided on.

John at AE makes the TD18H and the TD15X that I like. That being said the next biggest difference is the price of everything. A pair of TD18H's will cost about 1300 and four of the TD15X will cost about 1500.( These are rough estimates)

Then a pair of the PHL's are maybe 2200 for the 18's, and four 15's would probably cost about 3000 from PHL. I dont know for sure on the prices from PHL but just what I have gathered from reading others threads.

And the worst thing is that I have not heard any of these PHL 15/18's or the AE TD 15/18's. now the PHL 6.5" I am not worried about. They are relatively cheap in comparison to the bigger drivers.

SO thats where I would love to hear these before buying. Not to say that listening in different environments will be an equal comparison but I will at least get to hear what they can deliver.

SO far it looks like budget will be a huge factor in deciding because I can only simulate for now. But maybe I will see that I like the 18 from PHL over dual 15's. IDK.

I just know that simulating wise they seem to be able to both rock-out quite well. I know the dual 15's can out due the 18 from PHL and have less distortion but what do they sound like is what I am after.

SO far SPL wise the PHL 18 is third followed by the TD18H and then dual TD15x's.

But what do they sound like will be my main goal.

I am liking the idea of the 10" also only because of the transition from a 6.5" to the bigger woofer.

SO far I am thinking of building a similar, although less complicated, cabinet design like the galactica from HumbleHifi.
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

He uses a 15, 12, 6.5, and a tweeter. But mine will look similar component wise.......maybe. LOL And focus more on the transition from small to larger drivers. All the angles will probably not exist on my build:D

SO yah I am decided on the highs and mids. LOL just have to figure the rest.

Fess up Terry, what did you do to your tweeters this time?!

Could there be a not so subtle hint here?!

Beyma make a dome tweeter that could be worth considering. T2030. It's similar in size to your current one, but it uses a little waveguide loading and a 32mm dome. It can handle a 2k xo point with a regular 2nd order crossover and has 95 db 1w1m.

hi paul

stupid me (when I think about it, with hindsight, in the fullness of time).

I set up the mic to do a measurement...actually after you guys left I rearranged the room, instead of being on the diagonal that you'd remember I set it up 'standardly', ie straight on and my back to the bay window, as in any 'normal' set up that would be done. Obviously in terms of best utilising the ROOM that is the better way to arrange it.

So that involved bloody unplugging evry damned thing, moving the rack and speakers, move the computer table, the lounge, everything. Real PITA stuff..took a whole day to do it.

Got it going....sounded bloody awful. Well, not awful, but you get the idea.

So much so that I simply stopped listening to music for dunno, six weeks or so. And, could not muster the drive to put it all back the old way. Then lindy tells me a mate is coming out to stay for the weekend, he's never heard it, anyway long story short him coming out was what I needed to finally get off me **** and put it all back.

So back to 'I stuck the mic' in front of the speaker, decided to check which mic cal file I had in it, flicked to the 'mic input' to see what cal file would show up.......bet you can guess the rest eh?

Instant feedback at full volume..two seconds later that tweeter was pooft.

Simply did not think ahead. All to see which cal file was there, which BTW I would have seen if I had simply gone thru the measurement process. Sigh. At least during the measurement process the unit automatically mutes itself when a measurement is not being taken, prob in the back of my mind I assumed it would mute, but if I selected it why would it mute?

So not sure if it is a message haha, or even if any OTHER tweeter would have survived my idiocy. That beyma's graph looked pretty good, not too sure about the silver tho!

Chrap..been thinking..I mentioned I could invite Brett out (he has been posting in this thread) I also mentioned I could invte A9X.

Might get a bit crowded if we had BOTH here tho, so you may have to make a choice which one.

BUT, Brett has been following this thread and he could very well get quite upset and insulted if you chose A9X over him, yet what are we to do if you'd prefer one guy over another?

So I'll leave that little dilemna for you to sort......:D

HAHAHa......well I wont be coming out yet. As I would probably have to driver and I still have to wait some months still.

Its not really a matter of choosong whom it is really just a matter of listening to some speakers. I know A9X said he had dual 15's from AE so I figured I would try and listen to them. I haven't a clue what Brett has so I dunno. I dont really care who is there really just a matter of listening to some AE's for comparison.

Everyone has always said the AE's are top notch SQ so I wanted to hear them. The PHL's have always been touted as some of the best mids but hardly anyone use's there bigger drivers. SO hence my dilemma.

I saw a thread on this forum when I googled the 15's and someone was saying they were awful and beemed horribly. And he was using them up to 800hz which I really dont care about that. The highest I would use mine would be 400hz and most likely lower.

And that being said I think it would be easier for me to resell the AE's verse the PHL's larger drivers. I would probably take a big raping from trying to sell the PHL 15's or 18's.

For me the JBL and AE are pretty close as far as SQ. And now the JBL prices have sky rocketed so the AE's look nice.

But I have always wondered what is better than a JBL/AE........PHL?

IDK

I am sure I will be happy with any of the above choices but I dont want to build any more speakers after this. So hopefully this last decision of bass driver will have me satisfied with these finished speakers enough to work on other projects.

Chrap..been thinking..I mentioned I could invite Brett out (he has been posting in this thread) I also mentioned I could invte A9X.

Might get a bit crowded if we had BOTH here tho, so you may have to make a choice which one.
I've spoken to A9X and he's a lovely chap.

Do you want me to bring out a compression driver and WG to try?

Last edited:
I've spoken to A9X and he's a lovely chap.

well, as they always say on forums....YMMV!:p

Do you want me to bring out a compression driver and WG to try?

One day I spose we should, tho as I said room is very limited for the tweeter, really not interested in doing another baffle for example.Not even sure that would help, looks pretty crowded no matter what.

HAHAHa......well I wont be coming out yet. As I would probably have to driver and I still have to wait some months still.

Its not really a matter of choosong whom it is really just a matter of listening to some speakers. I know A9X said he had dual 15's from AE so I figured I would try and listen to them. I haven't a clue what Brett has so I dunno. I dont really care who is there really just a matter of listening to some AE's for comparison.

Umm think brett is just an audio wannabe? I mean, lot's of talk but hardly any sawdust if you follow.:rolleyes:

Everyone has always said the AE's are top notch SQ so I wanted to hear them. The PHL's have always been touted as some of the best mids but hardly anyone use's there bigger drivers. SO hence my dilemma.

Well, I always remember no matter what someone says, it is only one guys opinion on the net. And, let's face it, there is pretty well next to zero chance of being able to evaluate anyones opinion...

That was just preamble to MY opinion (only) that from the very litle I have heard, not too impressed with the AE stuff. Only the ten I already mentioned, and a 15 for the bass once in melb. Two of us were very underwhelmed with the bass we heard. TBH, don't even think 'oh, if there were two then...' if you follow.

So (very limited survey) on those two occasions the PHL murdered the AEs.

Big differences in those prices! Sounds about right tho from what I know on the phls (know nuffin about the AE prices) I paid around 800 ea for mine, but that was prob six or seven years ago now.

But I have always wondered what is better than a JBL/AE........PHL?

IDK

Ok, you have my opinion fwiw.

I guess we should do a little thinking. With the PHL 18's I have (dunno if those other models change this?)...btw sealed, around 110 l volume, the best you'd get in room would be about 30 hz. I don't like to run them above 200 really.

SOooo, if you want more extension then you need a sub, if you feel going from an 18 to a 6.5 is a bit much in one go then you need a ten (say, as you have mentioned)....which when you think about it is not that practical.

I mean it tends to suggest when looked at that way that these need to be flanked either side by other drivers, which is what I have done.

In that case, it may pay you to 'forget' my opinions, and really have a look at your sims. You might find one of the AE models means you don't need a sub ??? (or ten??) which makes a bit more sense.

Don't get me wrong, I reckon there is that 'something' about these PHL 18's, BUT looked at it from the above angle maybe they don't make that much sense?

Another reason to hear them maybe, not sure how we can get you to hear the AE's tho. Still, IMO I have yet to hear better bass. Just thought I should mention the above things to consider.

I have 6", 8" Square WG's from JBL and the QSC 152i WG's sitting in a box in the shed. Ever since I made my cheap SLA I have really liked Line Arrays. I was thinking of a Raal tweeter(140) so the WG's have been sitting.

They might get used in surrounds but I may use Raal's to see if I like them or stick with the TPL.

Sucks not living near anyone and having to try out everything first before you find out what you want.

I dont know when I will make it out to Bathhurst. Probably be a while.

But for now I am thinking of either the PLH 18" or the dual TD15X's per cabinet. And by the time I can get out there John will finally have some stuck of his woofers.(AE) LOL

Oh just read your opinion Terry and I will add some more now. I think the 18's go for around 1100 but I have to get a price back from Pat. That is just what I read on the web.

I have also read that a single 6.5" 1120 PHL should be crossed at 400hz if just a single. But simulation wise will beg to differ and can be used to around 200 and where ever from there. I figure 250-300hz will be good for me. That 6.5 will take some power and still be within Xmax.

Now the PHL vs AE will just be a matter of cost also. I will have subs already. They will be beasts designed for 3hz-80hz. And I will probably just cross them at whatever sounds best with these future drivers.(PHL or AE)

Part of me likes to be different so the PHL's are definitely a spark of interest. And the dual 15's from AE ,simulation wise, smash the dual PHL 15's. But everything cant be based off of a simulation.

And if Pat from WAR can give me a good price that makes the PHL 15 or 18 closer to AE then that makes it easier to just try the PHL. I know both are good quality drivers it will just be a matter of which I like.

AE's can move more air in the 15 or 18 but we are talking about simulation and only above 50hz. All the speakers AE and PHL dual 15's or 18 are doing about the same at 30hz-40hz. But amazingly enough 30-60hz the dual PHL 15's(6030) are louder than the AE dual 15's. But after 60hz the AE TD15X is 1-5db louder than the 6030. But after 60hz we are talking about 136db's.:D

SO clearly its just a matter of listening. I think the dual 15's would be kick *** from PHL but we'll see on pricing first.

Couple of things to consider. For bass I would definitely go the AE drivers, they are in fact cheaper and the combination of low inductance and high excursion is appealing.

Regarding Terry's comparison, aren't we talking about drivers that were suspect? Some kind of polarity issue?

Also keep in mind that PHL have some dedicated mids that have a surround that does not allow any real excursion. AE does not make similar drivers, they all tend to have a midbass or woofer surround. For a dedicated mid that is an advantage to the PHL drivers.

Both AE and PHL drivers are very good and I would say the result comes down to your ability to get the most out of them, more so than any inherent superiority. I've heard both. The PHLs in Terry's system, and AE drivers in Antripodean's and my own. You could do very well with either choice.

Couple of things to consider. For bass I would definitely go the AE drivers, they are in fact cheaper and the combination of low inductance and high excursion is appealing.

Regarding Terry's comparison, aren't we talking about drivers that were suspect? Some kind of polarity issue?

two different times paul. the one you are thinking of was with phil, and indeed the mids he did have wired out of phase. I should have checked.:mad::mad:

Still, that time was when we heard the bass drivers from AE, whatever they were. Neither of us was too impressed.

Hmm those mids might have been ten in too???

The time when I compared the AE tens with the phl tens was here at home.

Also keep in mind that PHL have some dedicated mids that have a surround that does not allow any real excursion. AE does not make similar drivers, they all tend to have a midbass or woofer surround. For a dedicated mid that is an advantage to the PHL drivers.

Both AE and PHL drivers are very good and I would say the result comes down to your ability to get the most out of them, more so than any inherent superiority. I've heard both. The PHLs in Terry's system, and AE drivers in Antripodean's and my own. You could do very well with either choice.

Yeah, the tens and 6.5s here are foam surround, so no excursion. Having said THAT, the 18's only have 8mm or so excursion anyway!

I agree about the implementation, which is why I brought up the 'limits' fr wise of these 18's. As we are both saying, it could be that one of the AE's simply works better in covering the range required.

As always, it is what sounds the best, but here we are, it is damned hard getting an answer to that when it comes to speakers/drivers. Save the blind tests for cables and electronics eh, if only for ease.

Still, I really do wonder what it would be like to do a blind test with speakers. Reckoin that would be a really enlightening experience, a lot of sacred cows could end up getting the chop methinks

Terry, could well be. In 2004 I organised a GTG with 3 TL speakers, one of them mine. We had them all set up next to each other with instant switching, with no break in between. Blind testing would have removed bias, but the differences on switching were greater than expected. This is where it is different because when people blind test things like cables, it is confronting how difficult it is to hear differences that many claim are huge. However, with speakers the differences become more clear and dramatic, but it is also a bit distracting because your attention is drawn to immediate differences in tonal balance. I actually found it more difficult to pick a preferred version with the instant switching. I couldn't decide at the time, they all simply sounded different.

Yah I have found that the AE's could move more air.(Have more Xmax) But we are talking above 130+db and above 60hz. SO I think they are both capable. And 30-300hz seems do able by any of the above brands.

If price was not that big of a difference I would gladly try dual AE TD15X's in one speaker and dual 6030'z in the speaker. But I have a feeling that two 18's(7010) will cost more than four AE TD15X's and then almost double for four PHL 15's.

But even with the double the Xmax of the AE's ALL the speakers will be loud enough.

SO who knows. I am not made of money so I might just stick with the TD15X. I just dont want to give up yet on the PHL 15 or 18. I could always get the four 15's and one PHL15 for about the same price as two 18 from PHL.(2200 but guessing the PHL 15 will be around 750)

Either way this has been very helpful either way.

Hell I was amazed the 7030 worked well in the sealed enclosure. I know they suggest using a ported cabinet. When I simmed the 7030 in a sealed cab it wanted a BIG box. But either way EQ can work wonders and I have heard great things when one uses the DEQX.

Well its good to know that I will be ordering my PHL 6.5's from Pat at War. I cant beat him on the price so I am happy to help out another Ozzy. Now the 15's are 650 so I might try one. The AE 15's though are about 500 by themselves or 1500 when ordering four including shipping.

18's are still 1100 each. I would definitely go with dual 15's instead of a single 18 at that price.

Hope everyone enjoyed their Australia Day. Most of us are sunburned at my home except me. LOL

Terry how did you end up with the 10" for mid?

Did you buy a few drivers to decide or did you settle on the first one you bought?

I have been thinking of using either the 2520 8" or the 1120 6.5" for my mid. But I cant exactly
just throw money at the 2520 which cost about 650 for the pair verse 370 for the 1120.

I know I would be happy with either one but do like to turn up the wick on occasions. LOL

I know both will play stupid loud I am just liking the idea of more..........MWAHAHAHAHAHHA evil laugh

And when I emailed them for the prices they were pretty short. Just prices was all I got in the second email. No other words. Just some numbers.

Not a big deal but sort of a different feeling when you have to spend your very limited funds with this person.

Hope everyone enjoyed their Australia Day. Most of us are sunburned at my home except me. LOL

listened to the cricket on the radio, did some renos, just another day:)

Terry how did you end up with the 10" for mid?

Did you buy a few drivers to decide or did you settle on the first one you bought?

Bit of a long story, I may have covered it in brief earlier, dunno. I had a second deqx, and wondered if going four way was worth it. I had to get that unit modded to do the experiment, it was a gamble but only a few hundred to mod it. But for the experiment I did not want to pay more than that. Luckily I had great help.

I borrowed a ten from brett (helpful forum member here, and good mate) as well as borrowing one of his amps for the experiment. Well, I borrowed TWO tens from him haha.

Only one amp tho.:p

Throw some mdf boxes together, stick it on top of the existing three ways and bob was me uncle.

That was enough to convince me that going four way was indeed worth the trouble (had to rebuild the baffle to make it happen blah blah blah).

The tens I borrowed were some AE things, forget now, big silver phase plug. It may seem strange (if you go back and look at the look of my original boxes in all their ugly glory) to hear that to me the look was not acceptable, so now I was convonced to go the four way route it had to look good too, so I called Pat and went over with him the ten inch options avialable with PHL drivers. Basically the FR to cover I guess.

Once we had that data, that was when we decided on the current ten. Foam suround, matched the 6.5 etc. Same 'deal' re PHL's own descriptiuons (sound optimised over sensitivity)..that sort of stuff.

Not very scientific I agree:D

Anyway, as much as the AEs had convinced me it WAS a good idea to go four way, I was not prepared for the improvement the PHLs were over the AEs. Better in every respect...power handling, detail, ambience etc.

Whatever the reasons (maybe it was only because they now all came from the same family) it was a bit of pot luck I spose, and for all I know there could have been a better PHL ten to go with. One of those things, you don't know till you go, but I am happy with this ten and don't ever get the idea of 'what if I tried another'...to me the 'what if's' are the things that make you go mad. That is the last road I'd ever want to travel....leads to things like amps, cables, power cords and then I think it's better just to end iot all!:spin::spin::headshot:

I have been thinking of using either the 2520 8" or the 1120 6.5" for my mid. But I cant exactly
just throw money at the 2520 which cost about 650 for the pair verse 370 for the 1120.

See, this is where I can't begin to help or offer advice for you. Have no idea personally, and to me that is the start of the slippery slope just mentioned! Good luck with your decision.

I know I would be happy with either one but do like to turn up the wick on occasions. LOL

I know both will play stupid loud I am just liking the idea of more..........MWAHAHAHAHAHHA evil laugh

Turn up the wick? Don't get it myself, I think I have only one volume setting on my system.

SBL (Standard Bathurst Level). IOW, full volume and damn the neighbours (to paraphrase).

Again, all I can offer you in the way of helping you make the right decision is to come and listen. Don't forget, at the moment for you all this is is theoretical, just because I like it is no guarantee it is for you. It might not be your cup of tea at all. (I get the tyranny of distance thing, but there ya go)

Just FYI you may want to put away in the back of your mind this oct. The annual bathurst race weekend gtg, if you can make it up then it may fit in with some planning on your part. The last few years we have had guys from SA come along, heck there might be a seat in a car for you for all I know. Still, I am loathe to commit someone else to have you as a passenger haha, maybe you could make it under your own steam.

Or not of course. It could be that no matter how 'poor' it is this could be simply a decision you have to make on spec without any sort of audition. I could simply be the biggest ****** full of himself about how good my system sounds, after all the forums are full of that, so at the end of the day there is always the unknown that you have to take the gamble on.

Heck, even hearing it here (and liking it for arguments sake) does not guarantee that it will translate to another room! My room is so unusual that it too is unique, so I can only 'guarantee' these results here in my room with my setup, and am loathe to extrapolate from that.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.