Francesco Campedelli T-Line

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Here's a quick thumbnail view of the cabinet

Attachments

• Campedelli T-Line Modified.JPG
    Campedelli T-Line Modified.JPG
    34.9 KB · Views: 2,516
I'll be moving to Puerto Rico in a couple of days, so when the smoke clears I'll start the build project and document the whole thing. Hopefully I can post it all soon. I'll be using 1/2" MDF, 2xAurasound NS3-193-4A 3" Extended Range * 4 ohm * Silver Cone, and a set of gold plated binding posts. (Nothing fancy):rolleyes:

It will be part of my desktop sound system which includes:
-Creative Soundblaster X-Fi Surround 5.1 Pro USB Audio System with THX SB1095
-FiiO D3 Digital to Analog Audio Converter - 192kHz/24bit Optical and Coaxial DAC
-4x100W @ 4 Ohm TK2050 Class-D Audio Amplifier Board

Finally got my prototype boxes built. I wanted to perfect the methods of it's assembly and tweek it's construction. When I got to Puerto Rico, I found out (quickly) that quality wood products are hard to come by. So...I bought some half inch ply(really garbage quality) and began my build. LOTS OF CLAMPING! The wood was warped badly, so I had to compensate for that. Well, they're done. I'm very happy with the sound. Incredible. Even with plenty of "BOO BOOs....I managed to get them to sound great. I'll post picks when I can but, I think I am very satisfied with these little gems! Ugly as sin right now but, I think i can fix that. For now....music plays through them without me feeling fatigued. Warm, I would say. Looking forward to getting back to the states so I can re-do them, more precisely and with better better quality wood. This build has taught me a lot. Now to put that experience to practice!

Thank You Francesco Campedelli, for such a wonderful and simple design!

It looks like a good desktop solution for a 3 inch. I wonder about that fatigue thing though. While it might seem like a good idea to have the driver at ear height, a design by Zaph that I made for the Tangband years ago similar to this was, how to say, too close for comfort.

I had some small stands and did a lot of repositioning to get a bit of soundstage.

I hope others do this build and report in as well.

At the moment I'm only playing around with this build, testing out where I like them to sit. When I get back to Wisconsin, I'll be building a new set out of spruce or ash. I want to be much more accurate with my woodwork. I have thought of building a set of matching stands but , I need to know what my "Home" environment will be first. I have looked at Zaph's designs and chose to try a T-line first. Maybe after the fallout of this build clears, I'll attempt to do a sealed enclosure for the same drivers. I really can listen to these(as they are) all day long without my ears regretting it. :D

Hard to say how wood of any sort is acoustically better if filled with denim batting on the inside. Ancient wisdom from the forum here is that the reversing directions of Baltic Birch ply or any ply is sound neutral. I think GM told me that but he will correct me as needed. Ash or other quartersawn facing over one of the inert woods is a technique done by B. Brines and others. It depends on what sort of access to tools or professional help is down there in Racine.

This is done all the time, though quartersawn provides a better layer to work with in case of surface flaws etc. I'm just making suggestions since I too am out of my depth as a woodworker.

I started with kits from an old firm called Speakerlab. It was rumoured that Terry Can's furniture and speaker firm built them for finishing. since I have done modifications of those I've seen they are indeed MDF under veneer.

Terry Cain is one of the speakerbuilder legends. His work continues after his death here:

Cain & Cain : Single-driver speakers, Fostex drivers, horn speakers from Cain & Cain - Soundscape HiFi And Music

I point this out thinking about a desktop version of "The Abbey" which I no longer see at Cain and Cain. Perhaps someone here has a pic of it yet. Imagine a desktop version of the slanted "Voight Pipe" style on the link.

The suprabaffle was a favorite of Cains and has been much explored here.

There is also the Terry Cain BIB thread on a Japanese craftbook design Cain built. The thread is in its way a memorial and has been going for years. And a spreadsheet program developed to make BIB's for any driver with a spec sheet has been created.

The BIB is one of two most satisfying builds I have made. I'm using it now. For my taste, no sub is needed with a BIB setup.

BIBs are nice,but for what I was looking for.....Smaller Is Better. I have twin toddlers in the house and so far they've ruined three pairs of speakers for me in the living room. Sooooo......Went looking for a small set to put in my NON-CHILD ACCESSIBLE room. HAHAHA. When things get better with the children....I'll consider big floor standing. I was also thinking of building a set of the Frugal-Horn MK3 using the Mark Audio Alpair 7 drivers.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.