FR125SR + T-class questions

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
No I have not compared my Charlize to other T amps, though it holds its own in terms of refinement to my Musical Fidelity A5 power amp @ £1500.

If I did it all again, I would have gone for a higher powered digital amp, so that I am not restricted to high efficiency speakers, as for this project I need compact enclosures.

There are people who know far more than me about this subject, over on the digital amp forum.

The digital amp forum – diyaudio’s Class D forum . .

As you know, there’s an enormous price gulf between Charlize USD 80 + PS (for which I haven’t seen Yeo state a power rating?), and the autocostruire amp inc transformer: E 255.

Before I go to the other forum, any suggestion on something in between??

Thanks

I asked Yeo at diyparadise why he didn’t do a diffrent chip ~ higher powered Charlize.

Yeo has tried several Tripath chips he finds and the ta2020 (in the Charlize) has the most finesse . . if you can live with the lower watts . .

I see the AMP10-BASIC at 41hz.com also uses that chip, tho 41hz’s is a kit.
But 41hz claim 2 * 60 watts, and Yeo no figure . .

I’m seeking info on the Trends gear, and will I’ll check the Class D forum

Thanks

otto88 said:
"Can anyone comment on FE127E + T-class versus FR125SR + Gainclone?"

I can't, but there's an upmarket gainclone in part 2 of the "Great" Digital Amp Shootouts

Integrated Amps:

http://www.stereomojo.com/SHOOTOUT2007INTEGRATEDS.htm

Power Amplifiers (where a commercial Gainclone, the Patek is included)

http://www.stereomojo.com/AmpSHOOTOUTPowerAmps.htm

HTH

Well, the reference speakers used in both shoot-outs referenced above are about as different in design philosophy as any DIY FE127 or CSS FR125 system most of us have encountered.

As for the amps, of all the combinations of Class-T amps / "chip-amps" and the above drivers I've heard to date*, the Kingrex T20U combined with the FE127E has been the most satisfying long term, and represents a pretty decent value for the money.

*Trends TA-10.1 / Kingrex T20U / too many DIY chipamps to remember, an "unofficial kit" version of the Audiosector integrated (gorgeous piece of kit)/ the group-buy (NP) mini-aleph

Aside from the "grunt" and bass control that some of the higher powered SS gear mentioned above bring to the table, none that I've yet heard will replace either my DHT (2A3) or even class A P/P EL84 for warmth, intimacy, inner detail and "holographic soundstage"

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.