FR Newbie, Likes All Kinds Of Music

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
(Drivers i have heard and played with) My favourite 3 are Mark Audio Alpair 7.3, CSS EL70 (made by Mark Audio), and FF85wk (all matched/treated pairs). Other candidates would be Fostex FF125wk (we are still evaluating FF105), FE126, (and probably FE103). Mark Audio Alpair 10.2, Alpair6.2P, Alpair6,2M, Alpair 7, Tangband W5-1611 (likely more than a few others, we haven't yet been real thorough on the TBs, based on other's raving, the flat-cone 3 or 4 if you can find them). We've had little chance to try any of the mostly Euro drivers, and skipped any vintage drivers.

The new CSS 4" shows promise, it has much better high frequency extension than it was supposed to have, the ScanSpeak 10F is a fine 3" but is real pricey for a driver in the same league as the FF85 & A6.2s, there are also some VIFA & Peerless 3" that get good reports (the one VIFA i heard was quite smooth, but kinda constipated sounding).

No one person can audition everything (so my list is far from exhaustive). And each of these has its strengths and weaknesses. Some of the above do fine in the bass on their own (A10,2, EL70, TB W5-1611), one would add helper woofers if one needed to achieve louder levels in a big room.

dave

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.