Fqa12p20 Fqa19n20c Discontinuation

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2002
Paid Member
I feel I owe an explanation and apology to clear this up.

------------------

I initially sourced a dozen pairs of the IR 240/9240 parts from a Chinese vendor.

This was three years ago when I was planning a balanced F5T build. Other things came up and I needed a small amp quickly, so I quickly built a F5T, V1 using these parts.

I encountered a massive mismatch on negative supply one channel of the build when I deployed it, so I sourced the Vishay IRF240 and IR 9140 parts locally.

In the mismatched channel, I simply replaced the IRFP240 (where the problem was) and the problem disappeared. No further action was needed.

------------------

I later built a bunch of the F5/BJT circuits proposed by juma, but tried a bunch of probably wrong mods. He provided patient tutelage to help me get it up and running, and it sounded great when it was done exactly as per his recommendations. It was using the same old IR parts but had only one pair per channel.

Both amplifiers had H2 of under -80dB and only small ripples, or nothing after. Sounded absolutely fantastic, all of them.

--------------------

Unfortunately I loaned this second amp out and when it came back one channel had a badly distorted sound, traced back to a blown output device. I took the opportunity to change both of them, this time using the Vishay IRFP240 and the IR IRFP9140. The two channels sounded a bit different to each other, so I decided to change the intact channel as well, with the mixed-manufacturer set. Since I had done this before I had no reason to worry.

That is when I seemed to find the audible performance degraded badly, and I began to read as much as I could. This post led me to believe that I should use parts from the same manufacturer: http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/solid-state/249866-matching-pairing-mosfets-2.html#post4137651

-----------------

Obviously this is a slightly simplistic understanding on my part and since Mr. Pass has weighed in, this matter should be closed with the understanding that the devices are fine as long as they meet the target specifications. For better or worse, I already have the Vishay IRFP9140 on the way from Digikey (no Asian sellers this time) and they will be here in about five weeks.

I apologise for any confusion caused and if anyone was offended by my posts.

Cheers!

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.