Fostex Shoutiness and congestion

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Re: Re: Re: Re: Fostex Shoutiness and congestion

peterbrorsson said:

Hi Secips!
Good that you found the reason but the reverbant sound you describe does not fit good sound IMHO. I have also problem to describe sound via text, could be a misunderstanding from my side.

Anyway, enjoy your speakers if you're satisfied with them!:cool:

Hi peterbrorsson,

As you pointed out, my description of the sound is lacking. I don't have your gift. What's really funny is that your problem is spelling, mine is definition, what's worse? After reading some posts by GM. I don't even know if I describe congestion properly. I gotta get the "words" right. At least I read quick. Not surprising, that the only one in thread this who knows what he's talking is about is MJK. I'm happy with the sound but there's always room.

kaan said:

Hey, I'm just trying to be helpfull.
I design user interfaces for a living and I know for a fact that a simple task like finding a specific function can trouble many. Thus I gave you a pointer.
I really tried to be polite and respectfull. If I failed at that I'm sorry. If you have any questions about the search feature of this site then don't hesitate to ask.

Hi Kaan,

It was a joke. In the U.S. we don't spell humor, with a U :). Don't worry I'll ask. Isn't this thread hilarious.

G'day Secips,

I have FE167E's in Voigt pipes.
I have used 'blu tack' (poster putty) all over the legs and magnet and also in the recessed cavity under front plate.

I recently EnABL'd the drivers using aluminium foil and double sided tape.
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=116773

This is fully reversible - you can peel the blocks off with a fingernail.
Try doing EnABLing the baffles first, and then if you like what you hear do the drivers.
I will be using paint from now on to EnABL.

Cheers,

Alex

After reading some posts by GM. I don't even know if I describe congestion properly.

Well, you can load the hell out of it and apply more energy( my horn method) or allow it to be un-loaded in a given frequency range (OB).
What you term congestion is nothing more than the cone not following , or following to a lesser effect,the incoming sine wave due to the VC not being in close enough to the magnetic field at a different frequency input.
Its a major falt with FR drivers who are trying to cover a broad BW. The closest i can see is the smaller Jordan drivers.
I think Martin " hit the nail" with his ideas on the 2 way OBs. Its in my home and have replaced my horns, although i am looking at a different approach and following the wave production at LF as a reflected energy off of the wall with another OB( 90 degrees to the LF baffle) aimed at the listener in the required frequency range(area /shape). This vastly cuts down on front profile as well as providing wall/floor loading which enforces the LF production and they will be closer to the wall (near touching) so the unit is not setting 3' from the wall.

ron

Definitions seem to be the recurring theme. For me elegant means simple. Simple solutions for complicated problems, or is it just that we make it complicated. Last time I was in Texas, everyone was friendly, down to earth, connected to the land and just knew the nature of things. Very elegant. I enjoyed my rattlesnake though it was a bit bony.

For me elegant means simple. Simple solutions for complicated problems, or is it just that we make it complicated.

I am going thru this on a debate on EnABL process. To me why make a simple process complicated, Albert E. could make a simple equation out of something others wanted to make complicated. To me , that is pure genius.

ron

( my mentor and friend " the hardest thing you can do is to make something simple")

ronc said:
I think Martin " hit the nail" with his ideas on the 2 way OBs. Its in my home and have replaced my horns, although i am looking at a different approach and following the wave production at LF as a reflected energy off of the wall with another OB( 90 degrees to the LF baffle) aimed at the listener in the required frequency range(area /shape). This vastly cuts down on front profile as well as providing wall/floor loading which enforces the LF production and they will be closer to the wall (near touching) so the unit is not setting 3' from the wall.

I've been a hesitant to undertake MJK's OB design as I am overwhelmed with all my audio projects. I figured to leave the best for last. Hopefully, by then I'll be able to understand at least half of the terminology and some of the physics.

ronc said:

To me why make a simple process complicated

I concur, things made simple are easy for everyone to understand.

I haven't tried EnaBL myself. Kinda gunshy of treating my only FR driver. However, I am in process of adding more drivers to my stable.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.